Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
Just ordered some Havana Coffee Works "Honduras RealTrade" beans.
Tasting notes:
Our RealTrade Honduras coffee - purchased right off the drying patios from a small farmers collective.
Balanced flavours of sweet white peach, toffee and hazelnut.
A deep flavour, versatile in its brewing

I normally go for the chocolatey tones in my coffee, so this will be an interesting choice.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just ordered some Havana Coffee Works "Hunduras RealTrade" beans.
Tasting notes:
Our RealTrade Honduras coffee - purchased right off the drying patios from a small farmers collective.
Balanced flavours of sweet white peach, toffee and hazelnut.
A deep flavour, versatile in its brewing

I normally go for the chocolatey tones in my coffee, so this will be an interesting choice.
That sounds fascinating; do enjoy.

Re chocolate/mocha notes, the coffee (natural process) from El Salvador, that I enjoyed today also featured such welcome tasting notes.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
new coffee arrived last Wednesday; Giant Maragogipe (good Lord! however is that word pronounced?) beans from the Ka'u region on Hawaii

washed process, medium dark roast....floral and juicy with a baked peach note

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
1st time I made the big cleaning and descaling my Sage Espresso machine - took probably over an hour. I hope it goes faster as I get used to it 😓
But it was still a complicated story with having the manual nearby and reading up to follow the steps.

Especially comparing to the Siemens machines that I've had, which told me on the display exactly every step and what to do. So we get what we pay for, surely.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
1st time I made the big cleaning and descaling my Sage Espresso machine - took probably over an hour. I hope it goes faster as I get used to it 😓
But it was still a complicated story with having the manual nearby and reading up to follow the steps.

Especially comparing to the Siemens machines that I've had, which told me on the display exactly every step and what to do. So we get what we pay for, surely.
A timely reminder that espresso machines can need quite a bit of the proverbial Tender Loving Care.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
A timely reminder that espresso machines can need quite a bit of the proverbial Tender Loving Care.
Surely, but it felt like I had at least a teenager when I had the Siemens, and now I got an infant.
To the sage's advantage the espresso does taste better - automatics can't produce that great espresso, but a high quality coffee, absolutely.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I subscribed to the Swedish version of pricerunner's notifications when Siemens Espresso machines drops in price. They do have a very large variation of expensive machines, not all highly expensive.

Not interested to buy a pod-machine or anything like that, but if I can get my hands on one of the lower priced automatic Siemens, I would be happy 🥰
They are like Mac's in a world of lot of PC's, in the Espresso world. I think I bought, or rather my boss at the time (wonderful guy), my 1st Siemens at age 15. Then I have moved around the country with my Siemens Espresso machines.

See what happens, for now I'm enjoying what this Sage machine can deliver, and maybe less the demand of labour it costs. I even saw a video how you could clean something more on this Sage 😉
Guys likes that, and it reminds me of my brother who had a PC and wanted me to buy that, so he could 'help' me with my computer.
Thank God, I never did, I've never regretted my Mac's.

Sipping on a good espresso at this sunny moment though, spring is coming!

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Anyone using Breville Barista Touch Impress? Would you recommend it?

Well that’s a nice machine, $1200 usd ,

I’m using its little brother the Barista express, honestly I like the tactile & manual feel of grinding , then tamping, then hitting the double shot button twice
8dff61b1870830a92752acddafef4535.jpg

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Anyone using Breville Barista Touch Impress? Would you recommend it?
I just ordered one myself. Should be here tomorrow with the beans from a local roaster be here Wednesday or Thursday.

I’ll try to report my first impressions. Dabbling into the world of espresso at home myself and it seemed like the perfect machine to get for a noob like myself.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I just ordered one myself. Should be here tomorrow with the beans from a local roaster be here Wednesday or Thursday.

I’ll try to report my first impressions. Dabbling into the world of espresso at home myself and it seemed like the perfect machine to get for a noob like myself.
I look forward to reading your impressions (of both machine and of the coffee).

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Well that’s a nice machine, $1200 usd ,

I’m using its little brother the Barista express, honestly I like the tactile & manual feel of grinding , then tamping, then hitting the double shot button twice
8dff61b1870830a92752acddafef4535.jpg
That looks a little old school. How long you're having it?

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
That looks a little old school. How long you're having it?

Older school is the De’Logngi shown below , it opened the door so to speak
759b9bb0c8275cd79988e2e0b9b13188.jpg

After being “happy” for a year then what’s human nature.. to no longer be content.. the marketing ads do that .. and start looking around
0f53be97c78e2bfbabe1553e2056c256.jpg

Then 2 1/2 years later that machine went, and I stepped up my “game”
7cb35f4e407c9a5b9ad8d5798e0628cf.jpg

Honestly with 6 1/2 years usage I’ve looked at the fancier ones, no compelling reason for me to get one, mine works fine still.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Honestly with 6 1/2 years usage I’ve looked at the fancier ones, no compelling reason for me to get one, mine works fine still.
Wow. You have come far. And that gauge is 🤌.

That machine looks like something that’ll last with you a long time.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

Please give your opinion on the cleaning as well. I have never had much problems with any Espresso Machine on brewing but cleaning is something that tired me. How simple/difficult this one is.
Frothing is another aspect I find I have never be satisfied with any yet. This one claims you can just put the pitcher down and let it do the job itself. I find that’s hard to believe.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Please give your opinion on the cleaning as well. I have never had much problems with any Espresso Machine on brewing but cleaning is something that tired me. How simple/difficult this one is.
Frothing is another aspect I find I have never satisfied with any yet.

In terms of descaling/ thorough cleaning or cleaning post-brew?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.