Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
d1080d0398fefcc1d7a31ca5631aafce.jpg

The Breville machines are slick and easy to “clean”. I circled the light that comes on when the machine tells you it need it. Put the white pill in the special cup / rubber holder, make sure tank filled up, turn machine off, turn on while holding both the single shot and double shot button.
It will clean the internals out , takes 5 minutes, you put a larger water collection device below.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
d1080d0398fefcc1d7a31ca5631aafce.jpg

The Breville machines are slick and easy to “clean”. I circled the light that comes on when the machine tells you it need it. Put the white pill in the special cup / rubber holder, make sure tank filled up, turn machine off, turn on while holding both the single shot and double shot button.
It will clean the internals out , takes 5 minutes, you put a larger water collection device below.
Thank you for such an informative post; even though I don't actually possess an espresso machine (though, some day, I may well invest in one), this is the sort of post that can be very helpful and useful to those of us who frequent this thread.

Reactions: mtbdudex

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Good summeration - thank you 👍🏼
I might get used to this machine more as times goes on 😂
Meanwhile, I long for a super-automatic for those very tired/lazy days, as well.
Cheating on machines are allowed.

But I wont buy any new espresso machine this month or next, unless some really good offer shows up.
Apple got my money for ’tech-toys’ the comming month - just got a message that my M3 MBA is now preparing for delivery 🥳

For now, I am happily enjoying a great cup of this 'black-gold espresso', and going for a refill, very soon.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Closing the chapter on daily cleaning ..
The tray below catches coffee grinds and water from the process, it has a float thing that will come up and say “empty”. It’s about every 4-5 days I have to do the that. That’s about 3-4 uses / day, over 4 days, so after 16-20 times used needs to come out.
Take to sink, pull apart, rinse, put together and back in business.
Now, every 2-3 weeks we do put it in the dishwasher just to give it a better clean. This morning was that time, so even before I replied earlier it had just been put in.
Below is squeaky clean and in business again.
09ca4ac9716e08cb2ee4feecf3defb44.jpg

d173808939dafc65edf26fc5c43674d1.jpg

17108a5210293f99c43ca3695e121485.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
It arrived. But it shall sit. Coffee shipped today( was expecting tomorrow), but USPS says they need 3 days to deliver it despite it being an hour away from me…. Hopefully gets here sooner. :)

I currently have coffee in the hands of USPS too; ordered Sunday afternoon, roasted and mailed today, USPS says to expect delivery on Thursday.....we'll have to see whose coffee arrives first! They actually beat their target date surprisingly frequently, as long as the expected delivery day isn't "Friday", in which case all bets are off.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
First drinkable cappuccino. The automatic foaming does a decent job. Maybe could be a bit more foamy, but that may be how I’m placing the wand in the pitcher or not mixing it enough after.

Still working on dialing it in. Started at the recommended 15 grind setting. Said it would be too bitter which it was. It recommended 21. Said it was good and definitely floral/fruity tasting. Made a latte next which said it brewed too fast. Reduced to 20 for the cappuccino which it said was also too fast. So next brew tomorrow will be at 19. But definitely enjoying the machine.

IMG_7402.jpeg

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Did two more brews this morning. Still saying 19 is brewing too fast. The coffee isn't tasting bad, but would still be curious to get it dialed in to what the machine thinks is the ideal brew. It brewed the two drinks at about 19 seconds.

Just curious as I am getting closer to 15 again which definitely brewed slow and bitter. Still enjoying the machine. I think I will be getting their darker roast espresso, but I do like the overall quality of this roaster. The beans smell exactly how the espresso ends up tasting. But think I would like the taste of a bolder espresso. The cherry notes of the current coffee is really standing out.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Did two more brews this morning. Still saying 19 is brewing too fast. The coffee isn't tasting bad, but would still be curious to get it dialed in to what the machine thinks is the ideal brew. It brewed the two drinks at about 19 seconds.

Just curious as I am getting closer to 15 again which definitely brewed slow and bitter. Still enjoying the machine. I think I will be getting their darker roast espresso, but I do like the overall quality of this roaster. The beans smell exactly how the espresso ends up tasting. But think I would like the taste of a bolder espresso. The cherry notes of the current coffee is really standing out.

Are you using the single or double wall cup? I found the double wall cup to give .. more texture to the espresso than single wall cup.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Did an afternoon latte. Grind setting 17. Seem to have found the grind setting for this bean as it brewed within 27 seconds. Should have sipped it as straight espresso first, but I found this latte to be really good. The cherry tone of the coffee was toned down letting the other elements to stand out a bit more and have a bolder taste to the latte.

Still with the single wall 2 cup basket.

Something I am going to find annoying when it comes to daily care is Breville recommends using the 1 cup basket and use the rubber gasket to backwash the plate before turning it off after each use. I see other people just wipe it down with a damp cloth to clean it. The damp cloth is a lot easier with how hard it is to switch between the baskets. But is that sufficient?

Reactions: mtbdudex

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Ah, Colombia and a red bourbon, at that, (both of which I like).

Excellent: Do enjoy.

What was the other coffee?

Indeed, the red bourbon is excellent.

The other is a local heirloom coffee from a farm in the Sidama region of Ethiopia. I haven't tried it yet, but it's afternoon here and about time to brew some of it

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed, the red bourbon is excellent.
Wonderful.

Actually, I am not surprised, as that struck me as an excellent coffee, one of the varietals that I am rather partial to.
The other is a local heirloom coffee from a farm in the Sidama region of Ethiopia. I haven't tried it yet, but it's afternoon here and about time to brew some of it
Bliss.

One can never go wrong with a coffee from Sidama in Ethiopia.

Reactions: Macky-Mac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.