Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have just received a notification to the effect that the coffee that hadn't been delivered yesterday (the coffee that they failed to include in the order) has been roasted, and packaged, and is awaiting collection by the courier.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Excellent.

I hope that you receive your coffee (and get to enjoy it) soon.

It's been delivered already, which is a bit amazing since the mail doesn't usually arrive this early.

This coffee is from Brazil and the label suggest notes of milk chocolate and walnut....it's just finished brewing so I'm about to give it a first sip.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's been delivered already, which is a bit amazing since the mail doesn't usually arrive this early.

This coffee is from Brazil and the label suggest notes of milk chocolate and walnut....it's just finished brewing so I'm about to give it a first sip.
Wonderful; delighted to learn that you have taken delivery of it.

Do enjoy, and let us know whether the tasting notes - and the actual taste - are in accord.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Has anyone ever tried coffee from Thailand?

And, if so, what was it like?
Only in Thailand itself.

It's mainly Robusta (or instant, as Dave says above) stirred in with condensed milk and loads of ice. I've not tried Arabica from Thailand, which I assume is what you're after. I guess if it's grown in the northern regions (higher, less pollution) it could be nice.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Wonderful; delighted to learn that you have taken delivery of it.

Do enjoy, and let us know whether the tasting notes - and the actual taste - are in accord.

I'm having my second mug of it right now.

It's a medium roast from Brazil, washed process, grown at 1100-1300 altitude in southeastern Brazil. The variety isn't specified. The roaster's label suggests tasting notes of walnut, milk chocolate and lemon zest with a finish that's "pleasant and sweet, revealing hints of butter and brown sugar".

With a newly opened package, I always find it fun to see if I can find the suggested notes.....those notes can be a mystery sometimes.

For me, what's identified as the "walnut" note clearly dominates from the start with the lemon zest note appearing soon after. Chocolate is often the easiest to find, at least it is for me, but in this coffee it's more of a mild undertone and more of baker's chocolate instead of milk chocolate.

The finish is indeed pleasant, long lasting and as the lemon zest note fades, the brown sugar note appears. Butter? Well, for me the mouth-feel is very buttery.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Only in Thailand itself.

It's mainly Robusta (or instant, as Dave says above) stirred in with condensed milk and loads of ice. I've not tried Arabica from Thailand, which I assume is what you're after. I guess if it's grown in the northern regions (higher, less pollution) it could be nice.

From what I've read, the Thai government has encouraged planting of Arabica as a replacement crop for various plants that are part of the illegal drug trade.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
From what I've read, the Thai government has encouraged planting of Arabica as a replacement crop for various plants that are part of the illegal drug trade.
Ah.

That makes complete sense.

Only in Thailand itself.

Thank you.

Yes, I assume that these are all Arabica, rather than Robusta.

According to the roaster's site, this Thai coffee is a Yellow Honey Processed coffee, and the varietals that comprise the coffee are listed, and they include Catuai, Typica, and (one local to Thailand), Chiang Mai.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The coffee that should have been delivered last week, with last week's order, has just been delivered, (an anaerobic natural coffee from El Salvador, SL28 varietal, and what they describe as a "competition lot").

This means that I am more than amply well stocked, coffee wise, at the moment.

Now, time for a cup of coffee.....

Reactions: Macky-Mac

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
The coffee that should have been delivered last week, with last week's order, has just been delivered, (an anaerobic natural coffee from El Salvador, SL28 varietal, and what they describe as a "competition lot").

This means that I am more than amply well stocked, coffee wise, at the moment.

Now, time for a cup of coffee.....

SL28.....not exactly an exotic name, but it makes an excellent coffee cup of coffee.

Wondering how the name came about, I turned to the internet where I learned that the name comes from the designation of an individual tree (tree number 28) in a research program back in the 1930s at the Scott Agricultural Laboratories located in Kenya.

Vastly more info at this link

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
SL28.....not exactly an exotic name, but it makes an excellent coffee cup of coffee.

Wondering how the name came about, I turned to the internet where I learned that the name comes from the designation of an individual tree (tree number 28) in a research program back in the 1930s at the Scott Agricultural Laboratories located in Kenya.

Vastly more info at this link
Agreed, the name (SL28) is anything but exotic, but hails (originally) from Kenya.

When in Kenya, I actually managed to arrange visits to both coffee (and tea) plantations, which were amazing experiences.

Anyway, while I am familiar with how SL28 coffee from Kenya, I am curious to see how it responds to the terroir and conditions of being cultivated in a 'competition lot' in El Salvador.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Shrink: you were right, in this your first post in this thread.

Peace forever, friend.

Sorry I’m confused here.
I checked Shrinks profile, not posted since 5/1/2019, is there a backstory to your post? Hopefully he’s still with us, just not on MacRumors.
4386c7fa04867bd5be9acc971310ca26.jpg

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Take a look at the thread started by @SandboxGeneral on 31st January of this year, 2024, in the Community Discussion Section, entitled "Passing of MacRumors Member Shrink".

Ahh, understand now.
People touch others in so many ways, big and small, cherish them.
My mom passed Jan-4-2021, oldest sister October-26-2021, then my father October-25-2023. The pain is still very raw on my father. Typing this causes pause and reflection.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ahh, understand now.
As you will see from the early pages of this very thread, (all of a decade ago), Shrink was a very active (and informed, and interested, and, above all, enthusiastic) participant in the thread.

He was also a very good - and cherished - friend to some of us, before ill health reduced his presence on the forum.

People touch others in so many ways, big and small, cherish them.
Agreed.
My mom passed Jan-4-2021, oldest sister October-26-2021, then my father October-25-2023. The pain is still very raw on my father.
I hear you.

I still miss both of my parents, - especially, my mother, whose death is more recent - and yes, the pain is still there, years later; while the intensity of that pain does diminish with the passage of time, the fact of it does not.
Typing this causes pause and reflection.
Again, I hear you.

All I can offer is some sympathy and empathy.

Reactions: mtbdudex

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Agreed, the name (SL28) is anything but exotic, but hails (originally) from Kenya.

When in Kenya, I actually managed to arrange visits to both coffee (and tea) plantations, which were amazing experiences.

Anyway, while I am familiar with how SL28 coffee from Kenya, I am curious to see how it responds to the terroir and conditions of being cultivated in a 'competition lot' in El Salvador.

My assumption is that a "completion lot" means it had been entered in some tasting competiton and so I'd have high expectations if it were my purchase. Clearly some grower/buyer/roaster thought it good enough to have potential in a competition....and so I'll be interested your verdict

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.