Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Anyone who thinks this is all about benefiting consumers doesn’t understand the rules of the game. This is about weakening encryption and making it easier to track and control every user on the planet. EU regulators lust for total control over absolutely everything. That’s it in a nutshell.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Imagine the resources they would need to implement all of those criteria.

It's funny because there is already a platform that meets most of those criteria.

It's called Android.

And I hear it's pretty popular... 8 out of 10 smartphones sold around the world are running Android.

So if the EU wants to turn the iPhone into another Android clone... I guess that's cool.

Choices, right?

🤣

Lazrhog

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
UK
This is ridiculous. WTH has it got to do with the EU if Apple want a closed ecosystem ? It's their ecosystem. They designed it, invested in it, made it. I want my iPhone secure. I don't want a rogue app or website now sideloading into my phone when it wants. This is a very poor decision. I really hope Apple just withdraw from the EU instead

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Why? The standard is already there, RCS. If every app must comply to RCS, you have interoperability. Of course iMessage would have exclusive and richer features, but at least some of them like read receipt, groups, file sharing... are supported
It all depends on implementation. The functionality of some messaging apps is very different than others. Then there's the possibility of duplicate accounts and security. And what is considered a messaging app? Would Instagram or Twitter be included as well?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
It looks pretty weird to see a list coming from the standpoint of consumer protection. I'm almost offended, since all my experience in consumer products has taught me that regulations should exist to protect big business and their investors and interests, while the filthy masses and their money are an expendable, masochistic resource that expect and deserve nothing. I guess I'll just never understand european business culture.

droplink

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2014
Anyone who thinks this is all about benefiting consumers doesn’t understand the rules of the game. This is about weakening encryption and making it easier to track and control every user on the planet. EU regulators lust for total control over absolutely everything. That’s it in a nutshell.

Because the EU GDPR cookie laws and other initiatives are all about spying on the consumer.
Oh wait. Hang on. Its the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
A96B8B35-17B9-4284-877A-C2400AC850D8.jpeg

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Hey, you know that ecosystem you’ve poured your blood, sweat, and tears into over the last few decades? Yeah you need to stop that. You’re being too successful. You need to give us access to that for free, since you know, we worked really hard for it too.

Oh also you need to give your trade secrets to other companies too, just to level the playing field. That way they don’t have to work nearly as hard as you have to get the success you’ve earned.

Sincerely, the EU.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
The idea is that third party apps need to be allowed to use NFC for their apps (like their banking aps) and not just use Apple Pay, not that Tinder is going to listen to you in your sleep.
This goes WAY beyond NFC so every bank can force me to use their crap app instead of Apple Wallet. From the list of requirements:
  • Allow developers to integrate their apps and digital services directly with those belonging to a gatekeeper.
  • Give developers access to any hardware feature, such as "near-field communication technology, secure elements and processors, authentication mechanisms, and the software used to control those technologies."
  • Make messaging, voice-calling, and video-calling services interoperable with third-party services upon request.
All of those things fly directly in the face of security and is a huge step backwards in that regard. Sure it's more open but that has a cost. What stops a government or other bad actor from setting up a front messaging service to integrate into iMessage just to be able to read the content of what you send since Apple/Google etc. are forced to integrate upon request. Full access to secure enclave and the software that powers it also allows for the possibiity to getting any information stored there such as your facial scan or fingerprint data. These scenarios may not be the intent behind the law but it opens it up to be much easier than it is today by essentially forcing Apple to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I wish Americans would stop whining about the EU. You’re not in the EU so why do you care?

Because as an American developer I still have to comply with the EU law like putting a stupid cookie banner on a website I build.

These laws have no border when you are on the internet. Everyone, everywhere will have to comply with them.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
If "gatekeepers" can't give their own apps preferential treatment and can't pre-install certain software applications, I wonder what future iPhones and Android phones will come with out of the box (at least in the EU)?

Reactions: JM

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Because as an American developer I still have to comply with the EU law like putting a stupid cookie banner on a website I build.

These laws have no border when you are on the internet. Everyone, everywhere will have to comply with them.
I’d say suck it up, because this kind of thing won’t be limited to the EU only. Other regions / countries will follow suit at some point wether you like that or not. And eventually, one of those countries will be the US itself.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
This is ridiculous. WTH has it got to do with the EU if Apple want a closed ecosystem ? It's their ecosystem. They designed it, invested in it, made it. I want my iPhone secure. I don't want a rogue app or website now sideloading into my phone when it wants. This is a very poor decision. I really hope Apple just withdraw from the EU instead
Won't affect you and I (UK). Our govt is way to busy sorting out its own internal issues to worry about passing laws to regulate huge tech companies.

Reactions: Manda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.