Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
One thing you can do with an Android phone with a USB-C port (to the extent it's almost worth buying a dedicated sim-less phone for this task), is plug in a USB Hub, and then, plug a multi-tb hard drive, and plug in a card reader for CF/SD etc, and use the phone to copy files from the card, directly to the drive. It's a significant use case for field-backup during a trip, which used to be met by standalone devices (WD MyPassport Wireless, Neaxtto etc) - but those manufacturers have largely stopped making them, those remaining are now more video oriented, and hugely expensive.

Haven't heard of anyone managing this with a lightning-equipped iPhone yet.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
One thing you can do with an Android phone with a USB-C port (to the extent it's almost worth buying a dedicated sim-less phone for this task), is plug in a USB Hub, and then, plug a multi-tb hard drive, and plug in a card reader for CF/SD etc, and use the phone to copy files from the card, directly to the drive. It's a significant use case for field-backup during a trip, which used to be met by standalone devices (WD MyPassport Wireless, Neaxtto etc) - but those manufacturers have largely stopped making them, those remaining are now more video oriented, and hugely expensive.

Haven't heard of anyone managing this with a lightning-equipped iPhone yet.
I can’t imagine it’ll work with any USBC iPhone either, it just doesn’t sound like a use case apple would support.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I can’t imagine it’ll work with any USBC iPhone either, it just doesn’t sound like a use case apple would support.
AFAIK an iPad with USB-C can connect to hubs, and address peripherals like hard drives, so it would be reasonable for an iPhone to be able to do the same thing.

More importantly if it *can't* do so with the same peripherals an Android phone can use for the task, that creates an obvious competitive focus point, where like for like can be compared. No more hiding behind claims about the limitations and tradeoffs of the physical port.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
AFAIK an iPad with USB-C can connect to hubs, and address peripherals like hard drives, so it would be reasonable for an iPhone to be able to do the same thing.

More importantly if it *can't* do so with the same peripherals an Android phone can use for the task, that creates an obvious competitive focus point, where like for like can be compared. No more hiding behind claims about the limitations and tradeoffs of the physical port.
I suspect the use case of the iPad as a computer replacement is why it works that way. i don’t think apple sees the iphone as a computer replacement so I’d say is a lot less likely to support that.

it would definitely be another differentiator for android phones. The trouble, as always, will be whether consumers care enough to make it a factor when purchasing. I suspect not. People want fewer wires and complexity, not more!

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
People want fewer wires and complexity, not more!

Usually, Apple's "simpler" solutions end up being more complicated and harder to conceptualise, than the older methods they replace. "Just trust us" black boxes are not the panacea to cognitive loads for users that the Cupertino propellerheads are invested in selling you.

iTunes Match, and Apple Music was not a simpler way to manage your music, than ripping your music to disc, & plugging your device in to iTunes. It was less reliable, and less predictable. That makes every use of it a cognitive load, because the user can never actually learn how it works.

• Plug in and drag from one device (CF card) to the other (Hard Drive).
is vastly simpler than
  • (plug in or connect wirelessly) import to camera roll, import but make sure you only import as much as there's free space on your device, then share to an app that manages the storage device, then copy to the storage device, then erase from camera roll, then confirm the erase from deleted pictures album to make sure you get the space on storage back, then import another load of images, repeat.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Usually, Apple's "simpler" solutions end up being more complicated and harder to conceptualise, than the older methods they replace. "Just trust us" black boxes are not the panacea to cognitive loads for users that the Cupertino propellerheads are invested in selling you.

iTunes Match, and Apple Music was not a simpler way to manage your music, than ripping your music to disc, & plugging your device in to iTunes. It was less reliable, and less predictable. That makes every use of it a cognitive load, because the user can never actually learn how it works.

• Plug in and drag from one device (CF card) to the other (Hard Drive).
is vastly simpler than
  • (plug in or connect wirelessly) import to camera roll, import but make sure you only import as much as there's free space on your device, then share to an app that manages the storage device, then copy to the storage device, then erase from camera roll, then confirm the erase from deleted pictures album to make sure you get the space on storage back, then import another load of images, repeat.
Does anyone import photos manually? I suspect most are cloud based now which would make the entire thing moot!

I suspect plugging a device in to manually manage photos, videos and music makes up a tiny minority of iPhone users. It’s just not a use-case Apple has to address these days as it has long been solved by wireless and streaming solutions.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Not sure how that’s related to the iPhone then!

I'm sure Apple executives will have great salary bonus success making the iPhone do fewer, and fewer things, right up until the point at which it can't do anything that isn't the front end to an Apple paid service.

And then when that link is cut by regulators, it will be wailing and gnashing of teeth that "Regulators broke the iPhone".

Reactions: Biro

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I'm sure Apple executives will have great salary bonus success making the iPhone do fewer, and fewer things, right up until the point at which it can't do anything that isn't the front end to an Apple paid service.

And then when that link is cut by regulators, it will be wailing and gnashing of teeth that "Regulators broke the iPhone".
I’ve got no idea what you are on about now.

Reactions: strongy

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I’ve got no idea what you are on about now.

It's not that difficult a train to follow - You're asking who would import photos manually (in the context of a larger consideration about USB-C's pros and cons), my answer, anyone using a camera, who would benefit from a USB-C based iPhone being able to do things by virtue of USB-C, that a lightning version can't.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
It's not that difficult a train to follow - You're asking who would import photos manually (in the context of a larger consideration about USB-C's pros and cons), my answer, anyone using a camera, who would benefit from a USB-C based iPhone being able to do things by virtue of USB-C, that a lightning version can't.
Yes I understand there are edge cases but Apple builds and specifies for the majority, not the minority.

I doubt Apple see the iPhone as having a computing function like importing photos from external devices, with or without a USBC port. I suspect that level of functionality will remain the remit of iPads and Macs, which Apple does see as ‘computers’, for the few who need that level of functionality.

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I doubt Apple see the iPhone as having a computing function like importing photos from external devices

They literally make multiple devices for that specific purpose.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
They literally make multiple devices for that specific purpose.

Great, then I'm sure it will continue for as long as the iPhone has a physical port.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
I wouldn’t say that. I find wireless much more convenient than wired.
Then that's what you found. The fact is that it's slower than wired, more battery-draining than wired, and (in the case of media) degraded with extra compression.

Not to mention the physical problems that Apple created but neglected to solve. For example, by removing the headphone jack from its media-playing devices, Apple prevents you from watching media with others. So if you want to watch a movie on the plane with your traveling companion, forget it. There's no place to plug a Y adapter in for two sets of headphones. And if you try to work around that with a dongle, you can't power the device because the port is occupied.

Then there's the dumb gimmick of wireless charging: It's slower, inefficient, and requires space to be wasted inside the device for inductors. Then, to charge, you have to put the device on a special mat which... yes... is WIRED. So why not simply plop the device into a dock for charging? For a net reduction in the usefulness of the device in all cases (especially battery life), you get... a mat vs. a tray?

It's idiotic.

Last edited:

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Then that's what you found. The fact is that it's slower than wired, more battery-draining than wired, and (in the case of media) degraded with extra compression.

Not to mention the physical problems that Apple created but neglected to solve. For example, by removing the headphone jack from its media-playing devices, Apple prevents you from watching media with others. So if you want to watch a movie on the plane with your traveling companion, forget it. There's no place to plug a Y adapter in for two sets of headphones. And if you try to work around that with a dongle, you can't power the iPad.

It's idiotic.
No one really cares enough.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Not sure that the small difference in the tech specs matter when the syncing happens automatically in the background. I haven't used a cable to transfer data in years. If I do something on my iPhone, by the time I pull it up on my Mac, it's been synced. If I have to plug it in to transfer files, that will take me longer regardless of the speed of the transfer.

Not to mention the physical problems that Apple created but neglected to solve. For example, by removing the headphone jack from its media-playing devices, Apple prevents you from watching media with others. So if you want to watch a movie on the plane with your traveling companion, forget it. There's no place to plug a Y adapter in for two sets of headphones. And if you try to work around that with a dongle, you can't power the device because the port is occupied.
You can use a dongle and charge wirelessly or use bluetooth and charge wired. So, you're not actually prevented from doing it.

Then there's the dumb gimmick of wireless charging: It's slower, inefficient, and requires space to be wasted inside the device for inductors. Then, to charge, you have to put the device on a special mat which... yes... is WIRED. So why not simply plop the device into a dock for charging? For a net reduction in the usefulness of the device in all cases (especially battery life), you get... a mat vs. a tray?

It's idiotic.
Because setting a device in a wireless charger such as a dock is simpler than having to plug it in. Magsafe is my favorite change in iPhones in years. I have a magsafe dock on my nightstand and on my desk. My phone is always charged and I can pick it up over and over again throughout the day without having to fiddle with a cable.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: I7guy and jaymc

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And to me much more convenient. However I still carry around my EarPods.
Sure software allows the sharing of a Bluetooth connection. For example downloaded Netflix movies paired with two sets of airpods.

It's idiotic.
It’s all true about what you said, however it’s incredibly convenient. Sometimes convenience trumps all. And I don’t care about slower or inefficient when convenience trumps both of them.

That said if I need a fast charge I use my usb c to lightning and a 20 watt charger. Sometimes fast charge trumps. That said, if I had too I could live with a 5 watt charger and cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.