Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
They aren't prohibited from selling smartphones at the prices and margins they like.
They aren't prohibited from operating their own first-tier app store.
They aren't prohibited from operating their own payment wallet scheme.
They can operate and offer products and services just as before.
All good! Till we get to this below.
Their platforms will just become a bit more open and interoperable.
This above contradicts the below
It won't drive them “into the ground”.
Just as sideloading - and even piracy - didn't drive the Google Play Store into the ground.
Right here (above). Why bother doing this, if the end result is of no significant benefit to the outcome being proposed? "Just" a bit more open and interoperable with other applications and stores. When most on android don't use alt-stores. Most don't side-load. And privacy (including security) is exactly the thing that will be at greater risk by these rules of interoperability and more openness. Apple and Google do not operate the same in that space. One wants your data and information about "you" more than the other. Not to mention all the other apps.
PS: I won’t be making this discussion any more circuitous by dignifying another instance of “Well, if Apple are too sternly regulated, they’ll have to withdraw from the EU” with an answer.
Ok.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
It begs the question: should we regulate Tesla, a dominant company in a submarket that will probably grow two overtake the overall automobile market within a couple of years? And should we do it now, later or never - and wait until their more questionable, anticompetitive business practices become an issue?
If we are being fair. And remember I'm not in favor of the regulation proposed on Apple. But, again if we are being say more consistent. YES, we would be regulating Tesla. Sooner rather than later. And before they cross any thresholds of no return.

I'm not worried personally about them becoming too big. Their valuation is what is too big. Not that your going to see 1 out of every 3 cars being a Tesla in say 10 years or less kind of big. But, that they are WAY over valued. That's another topic of course. But we will have more enough players in this space from extra high end to budget friendly. Tesla may just end up as the "standard" that everyone else tries to copy. But we have too many other car makers out there, world wide. In the US, my money is on Ford and the F150 Lightning. The CyberTruck will take too long to get out, and they will lose ground to Ford and Chevy. And the F150 currently outsells everything else in the US. So long as they don't F it up.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Well, Tesla’s a very interesting comparison, and there are strong parallels.

The market for electric cars today is a small submarket of the broader automobile market - similarly to how the smartphone market was a small submarket of the broader cell phone market 15-20 years ago.

Electric cars seem bound to overtake the largest part of the market for cars though, similarly to how smartphones overlook the market for mobile phones (in developed economies and increasingly in developing as well) by replacing smaller dumbphones and relegating them to niches.

And Tesla is a similarly dominant player in that nascent submarket of electric cars and has a “cult following” that’s not dissimilar to Apple’s. Also… it has some questionable business practices.

It begs the question: should we regulate Tesla, a dominant company in a submarket that will probably grow two overtake the overall automobile market within a couple of years? And should we do it now, later or never - and wait until their more questionable, anticompetitive business practices become an issue?
You can certainly ask the question, should we regulate Tesla further than the laws that already apply to them. But what are they doing or do we think that they may do in the future that would require said regulations? The only thing I can think of is their infotainment software that they currently don’t allow CarPlay (and Android Auto?) to integrate with. Outside of that, I’m not sure what there is to do, but I am certainly willing to listen to someone else’s concerns.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
You can certainly ask the question, should we regulate Tesla further than the laws that already apply to them. But what are they doing or do we think that they may do in the future that would require said regulations? The only thing I can think of is their infotainment software that they currently don’t allow CarPlay (and Android Auto?) to integrate with. Outside of that, I’m not sure what there is to do, but I am certainly willing to listen to someone else’s concerns.
There was talk about forcing teslas charging network open to be cross compatible in EU. EU did force them to use a universal port. And Tesla did voluntarily chose to start opening up their super chargers network making regulators shelf the idea.

Tesla probably won’t need to open up their infotainment system as long as they don’t actively tries to sabotage existing solutions.

The difference to apple who actively prevents user from installing unsupported software.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
And a cell phone is a cell phone or a smartphone is a smartphone.
And? Automakers don’t keep companies from offering aftermarket support. If someone wants to offer a turbocharger for a Honda Civic they’re free to do that. Want to offer a tune? Can do that too. Conversely, Apple locks other companies out of access to hardware and software features.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
There was talk about forcing teslas charging network open to be cross compatible in EU. EU did force them to use a universal port. And Tesla did voluntarily chose to start opening up their super chargers network making regulators shelf the idea.

Tesla probably won’t need to open up their infotainment system as long as they don’t actively tries to sabotage existing solutions.

The difference to apple who actively prevents user from installing unsupported software.
I 100% support the comments on the chargers. The last thing we need is different charging stations for different brands of EV’s.

Reactions: Sophisticatednut

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Considering you doing the wrong thing with your car can kill a lot of people as we speed along in a chunk of metal of death.

But at worst your phone becomes an expensive brick as you installed the wrong fortnight game.
Clearly a large rock will inflict more damage than a pebble at the same speed, is obvious. However doing the wrong thing with your phone can start a fire that can kill many.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Clearly a large rock will inflict more damage than a pebble at the same speed, is obvious. However doing the wrong thing with your phone can start a fire that can kill many.
Get back to us on the number of deaths caused by cars versus deaths caused by phones…

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Still anecdotal strawman because a non-zero probability doesn’t mean this is the general use case, which was the point.
The point is this kind of thing happens with cars far more frequently than it does phones. Hence why the car example was a Reddit post and your phone example was an actual news article. A phone killing someone is actually rare and newsworthy. Someone dying in a car crash happens every day.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The point is this kind of thing happens with cars far more frequently than it does phones. Hence why the car example was a Reddit post and your phone example was an actual news article. A phone killing someone is actually rare and newsworthy. Someone dying in a car crash happens every day.
No the point is that it can happen to both based on the ops post phraseology.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes, one happens daily and the other happens extraordinarily rarely.
But still a possibility. Op was hyperbolic and inaccurate.

Considering you doing the wrong thing with your car can kill a lot of people as we speed along in a chunk of metal of death.

But at worst your phone becomes an expensive brick as you installed the wrong fortnight game.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
But still a possibility. Op was hyperbolic and inaccurate.
Being concerned that your phone will kill you would actually seem to be the hyperbolic stance. I’ve never once been worried about such a thing. Perhaps you keep your phone in an airtight, fireproof enclosure when you’re not using it though. 🤷‍♂️

And while their statement may not have been technically incorrect, as a practical matter they were on the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.