Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
That’s not the point I’m making. Apple does not want that, right? But if they go and charge users for every individual item then they’re just pushing users to switch to another platform.
why not? Why sacrificed the security for other USA/China user, and just to comply with EU ruling? All EU citizen should use Nothing Phone from UK, and they should've avoid iPhone at all cost.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
All EU citizen should use Nothing Phone from UK
there is no point to keep selling iPhone in EU....let them be
Many EU citizens love using iPhones (though most of them won't love them as much to pay €200/year for basic software/maintenance and an App Store, as you suggested earlier, when you can get that for free on Android).

Apple loves making money by selling iPhones and apps.
Their greed for money is a very good point to keeping selling them in the EU.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Many EU citizens love using iPhones (though most of them won't love them as much to pay €200/year for basic software/maintenance and an App Store, as you suggested earlier, when you can get that for free on Android).

Apple loves making money by selling iPhones and apps.
Their greed for money is a very good point to keeping selling them in the EU.
If Apple raises it's prices to compensate for the loss of revenue, brand value and brand image...citizens of the EU might have to switch to Android.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
If Apple raises it's prices to compensate for the loss of revenue, brand value and brand image...citizens of the EU might have to switch to Android.
They won’t have to, people who doesn’t agree with apple’s value will just switch voluntarily, buy old sets or just keep their existing devices for even longer than today.

Considering a new iPhone cost the same as a maxed out gaming PC it’s quite the price.

But that’s up to apple to decide if it’s worth losing more sales and more market share for just to keep the same revenue or greater.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
They won’t have to, people who doesn’t agree with apple’s value will just switch voluntarily, buy old sets or just keep their existing devices for even longer than today.

Considering a new iPhone cost the same as a maxed out gaming PC it’s quite the price
That's my point. Apple could raise it's prices and people could switch to Android. Or hold onto their phones until they die and then get a used iphone. Maxxed out phones cost more than a PC from other manufacturers as well.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
That's my point. Apple could raise it's prices and people could switch to Android. Or hold onto their phones until they die and then get a used iphone. Maxxed out phones cost more than a PC from other manufacturers as well.
I’m not talking about a maxed out iPhone.

I can build a maxed PC with a RTX 3080 for the same price of the iPhone 13 pro.

And if the GPU prices go down to normal levels then we can go crazy.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Exactly.

You claim they‘ll lose brand value and brand image - and suggest raising prices along with that?

Great idea to erode your market share. But as I said, it‘s a business in which you benefit from having a bigger share of the market. Even though iPhones aren’t cheap compared to the competition, it’s not a luxury business. The product doesn‘t gain value from a lower market (as opposed to a Ferrari or other luxury car that does).

They be shooting themselves in the foot with that and only end up making less money from their business. And that’s why (although the may try to raise prices somewhat), they won’t be pricing themselves out of the market in favour of Android.

It‘s baffling how firmly you cling to the idea that Apple (a for-profit business driven by investors) will - or should? - shoot themselves in the foot by reacting in ways that will only make them off worse and earn less.

Reactions: vipergts2207

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Exactly.

You claim they‘ll lose brand value and brand image - and suggest raising prices along with that?
Never can tell what might happen.
Great idea to erode your market share.
These new regs are a great idea to kill the apple brand. So if the EU is also contributing to loss of brand image, brand value and revenue, what's a little market share amongst friends.
But as I said, it‘s a business in which you benefit from having a bigger share of the market. Even though iPhones aren’t cheap compared to the competition, it’s not a luxury business. The product doesn‘t gain value from a lower market (as opposed to a Ferrari or other luxury car that does).
The product also doesn't gain from governmental regulations opening it up and Apple losing revenue.
They be shooting themselves in the foot with that and only end up making less money from their business. And that’s why (although the may try to raise prices somewhat), they won’t be pricing themselves out of the market in favour of Android.
The EU is killing off Apple legally. However, if the EU likes Android, it's there for the taking.
It‘s baffling how firmly you cling to the idea that Apple (an investor-driven for-profit business) will shoot themselves in the foot by reacting in ways that will only make them off worse and earn less money.
It's amazing that you don't see how these impending regulations can cause undesirable downstream effects to Apples business model and how Apple might have to protect itself in someway, shape or form.

Reactions: djphat2000

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Businesses should absolutely not be granted a tax break. They can go and get a loan or investment as everyone else.
To start a business or invest in small businesses. I didn't say "give tax breaks to all or big businesses".
That’s the question. We don’t know what we lose.
You don't know what you don't know. But there is no guarantee that you get anything more with these laws.
The NFC chips is accessible, apple just prevent apps on the store from using it.
We know this. My question is, what innovation are we losing because one (1) handset maker chooses to not allow access to it? While you have access via another vendor and other handset makers to use NFC as they wish. What's the harm that only 1 vendor limits its access?
And it’s a barren wasteland for a reason. Ether games won’t be made at all or they are ported through some wine program. Very few games are natively run
But we do have games... Someone is programing for the Mac/iPad/iPhone. Stop pretending these folks/companies don't exist. And that its impossible to port or just straight up code natively for mac/linux/windows/iOS/iPadOS/Android/Nintendo/PlayStation/Xbox. It's not impossible, it takes money and resources, but again invest in this at the federal level so all systems could get a fair shot.
No but with resources you can afford to throw away a few billions on a high risk high reward gamble.
Who is doing this?
This isn’t a communist state, that’s completely in the private markets hands to solve. EU only referees the market.
It's feeling more commie to me by the day.
And they would do what? The barrier to entry to the OS market is so great that Eau have opted to regulate the market they occupy to encourage invocation between developers. Not OS/phone manufacturers.
Then be stuck with what you have. Let those barriers keep you from any progress.
All companies are already taxed at a flat rate. Big or small. And it’s not the states business to fund developers. EU regulates the market to be fair, they don’t have the job to save companies or help failing ones.
Then be stuck with what you have,.. left if Apple walks away.
USA might have the mentality to save companies that fails,
Some, yes. Too big to fail rings a bell.
EU have the mentality to let them fail. Bankruptcy is often the endgame.
Cool. I'll stay in the US.
Again, this isn’t a communist utopia, the government isn’t here to save you, it’s the markets job to do these things. Or go to a bank/investors
You're just proving my point here.
Go get a loan
Government should stay out of the way as much as possible
Let the market decide

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
So you're from the EU?
No. Nor do I plan on going to visit. I'll go to the UK instead.
I think you either the missed the point or perhaps you forgot your own argument. The comment about slowing the velocity of app innovation pertains to the paradigm you're specifically asking for where devs have to support every platform out there. "These days" the velocity of app innovation is just fine because devs can support whatever platforms they choose and are not forced to support platforms with negligible numbers of users. What devs need is new ways of being able to innovate, including by forcing Apple open up the hardware.
But Apple has to do the exact opposite. Really nice.
Some devs make macOS games because they have the resources and believe they will make a return on their investment. Not to mention macOS has a sizeable userbase. That's a very different scenario from devs being forced to support a multitude of platforms that have few users and will generate no return for them. How does a dev make money by investing $150k on development for a platform with 10k users of which maybe 3% will use their product. They're supposed to recoup the $150k investment and turn a profit from 300 users?
Literally talking about Linux/MacOS/Windows/iPad-iOS/Android. It's not insurmountable. They most likely cover 4 of them already. Plenty of users here. And there are games that run the gamut of them already. Just continue that with anything new.
Actually if you follow the comment chain back you'll see that this point in particular is specifically about resources and a lack thereof.
Get a loan, go get investors. Work for it.
Again with a convoluted mess that doesn't actually accomplish the goal of reigning in Apple's anti-competitive activities.
How is that at all convoluted? US does it, and we are not that sharp.
You can only come up with these ideas by trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist while ignoring the problem that does. The EU isn't trying to increase development and innovation, they're trying to tamp down on anti-competitiveness by big tech.
So if they end up with JUST Android, how will this have helped clamp down on anti-competitiveness? I mean, it would be less competition after all.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
0CB96EC7-EB6A-4C06-9BD5-50431DB7D6B9.png
To start a business or invest in small businesses. I didn't say "give tax breaks to all or big businesses".
I know, tax breaks shouldn’t be given to anyone. more often than not it will just be abused.
You don't know what you don't know. But there is no guarantee that you get anything more with these laws.
We already know. We can look at applications that exist on cydia to know what we can get. We can look at features
iOS is getting currently extremely slowly.

ID in apple wallet for example, other applications have had to solve tho before apple but being limited artificially.
0CB96EC7-EB6A-4C06-9BD5-50431DB7D6B9.png 11BB02B0-1320-4A64-9B63-38502B78626F.png

These for example could have used NFC technology or exist in a wallet like app. But can’t for apple’s policy. And general cross compatibil technology will use the lowest common denominator being the QR code.
We know this. My question is, what innovation are we losing because one (1) handset maker chooses to not allow access to it? While you have access via another vendor and other handset makers to use NFC as they wish. What's the harm that only 1 vendor limits its access?
Cross compatible apps will use the lowest common denominator to lower cost and maximize compatibility. Lowering the quality we get. Apple is the biggest phone vendor and hosts the second biggest OS with a dominant position. If they didn’t have a dominant position they would be ignored.
But we do have games... Someone is programing for the Mac/iPad/iPhone. Stop pretending these folks/companies don't exist. And that its impossible to port or just straight up code natively for mac/linux/windows/iOS/iPadOS/Android/Nintendo/PlayStation/Xbox. It's not impossible, it takes money and resources, but again invest in this at the federal level so all systems could get a fair shot.
I know they exist, they are just an extreme minority. Just like Linux have games or Amiga, windows ARM etc.

It takes money and resources the government shouldn’t provide. Governments aren’t in the business of running companies. That’s way past a federal government’s responsibilities.
Who is doing this?
Microsoft did, and lost. Apple did and won.
It's feeling more commie to me by the day.
Considering what you propose I would say not even close
Then be stuck with what you have. Let those barriers keep you from any progress.
If that’s the reality then That’s the reality. The government isn’t here to remove natural barriers to entry, only artificial ones harming the market.
Then be stuck with what you have,.. left if Apple walks away.
They are free to do so. Facebook have threatened the same thing over new privacy laws and EU told them to go ahead and leave if they want.
Some, yes. Too big to fail rings a bell.
Too big to fail should never be the case. You are never too big to fail. Something the USA should implement
Cool. I'll stay in the US.
And give your tax money to propping up failing businesses, you are free to do so.
You're just proving my point here.
Go get a loan
Government should stay out of the way as much as possible
Let the market decide
The government not being here to save you doesn’t mean they aren’t leveling the playing fields.

Just how a soccer judge won’t help you, but still enforce the rules. They care about the merit and it should be the dominant reason for companies winning, not the fact they are bigger and more wealthy.

That is also why big companies must ask for permission to buy up smaller companies with the new rules.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
So if they end up with JUST Android, how will this have helped clamp down on anti-competitiveness? I mean, it would be less competition after all.
That’s the thing, you are commenting about something completely irrelevant and past the goal of the law.

If android becomes the only OS, EU would be completely fine with that. Less competition isn’t the same as anti competitive behavior. A monopoly is completely legal.

And as long as google doesn’t do anything to hamper companies from competing, The EU won’t do anything. We have multiple monopolies in EU that are completely ignored because they won the capitalist game fairly and aren’t hindering new comers.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That’s the thing, you are commenting about something completely irrelevant and past the goal of the law.

If android becomes the only OS, EU would be completely fine with that. Less competition isn’t the same as anti competitive behavior. A monopoly is completely legal.

And as long as google doesn’t do anything to hamper companies from competing, The EU won’t do anything. We have multiple monopolies in EU that are completely ignored because they won the capitalist game fairly and aren’t hindering new comers.
Wow, way to spin this. It's okay if there is no competition. But if the lone vendor locks down the app store...tsk, tsk, tsk.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
No. Nor do I plan on going to visit. I'll go to the UK instead.
So then like I said, you don’t get a say.

But Apple has to do the exact opposite. Really nice.
What exactly are you referring to that is the exact opposite?

Literally talking about Linux/MacOS/Windows/iPad-iOS/Android. It's not insurmountable. They most likely cover 4 of them already. Plenty of users here. And there are games that run the gamut of them already. Just continue that with anything new.
No, follow the conversation. We’re talking about a scenario where vertical integration is required and smartphone makers have to create and utilize their own operating systems, rather than use Android. Under this paradigm developers would apparently be forced to support all these different platforms, some with next to no users.

It’s fine if you want to jump into the middle of an ongoing conversation between others, but at least follow along with what was said.

Get a loan, go get investors. Work for it.
Nope. Again with trying to place the burden on those who are least capable of carrying it. Sorry, the EU isn’t doing that.

How is that at all convoluted? US does it, and we are not that sharp.
Because you have to implement new tax laws to tax Apple and Google and set up a system for giving out loans or grants on a hope and a prayer that consumers will actually move to the offerings being funded by those grants and loans. And I’m sure Apple and Google wouldn’t be happy about their money being taken to directly fund competitors. This of course being the alternative to simply telling Apple and Google they’re not allowed to do X, Y, and Z, which is far less convoluted.

It won’t end up that way. Apple leaving the EU exists only in the minds of deluded Apple fanatics who are completely detached from reality.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
These new regs are a great idea to kill the apple brand. So if the EU is also contributing to loss of brand image, brand value and revenue
The EU is killing off Apple legally. However, if the EU likes Android, it's there for the taking.
You're not living in reality and your talk about "killing off" Apple and its brand is nothing more than fearmongering.
One should go back and look at the actual regulation and what it regulates - very specifically...
The product also doesn't gain from governmental regulations
Quoting the MacRumors article from the beginning of this thread:

Under the DMA, gatekeepers may have to:
  • Allow users to install apps from third-party app stores and sideload directly from the internet. 👉 Yes, that's a gain for the product and its utility. More apps is better than less apps and Apple prohibiting.
  • Allow developers to offer third-party payment systems in apps and promote offers outside the gatekeeper's platforms. 👉 Yes, since they can charge less with external payment methods, that's an advantage for customers.
  • Allow developers to integrate their apps and digital services directly with those belonging to a gatekeeper. This includes making messaging, voice-calling, and video-calling services interoperable with third-party services upon request. 👉 Yes, interoperability (between different devices, manufacturers, apps and service) is a gain for the
  • Give developers access to any hardware feature, such as "near-field communication technology, secure elements and processors, authentication mechanisms, and the software used to control those technologies." 👉 Yes, apps being able to use hardware features is a gain compared to Apple locking them out.
  • Give users the option to change the default voice assistant to a third-party option. 👉 Yes, that's a gain for the product and its utility. You like a different voice assistant, you can use it. That's a gain comparted Apple locking others out.
The DMA also seeks to ensure that gatekeepers can no longer:
  • Pre-install certain software applications and require users to use any important default software services such as web browsers. 👉 Yes, having a choice of web browser is a gain compared to Apple locking others out.
  • Require app developers to use certain services or frameworks, including browser engines, payment systems, and identity providers, to be listed in app stores. 👉 Yes, having a choice of web browser is a gain compared to Apple locking others out.
It's amazing that you don't see how these impending regulations can cause undesirable downstream effects to Apples business model
And you're making it out as if the only good things about Apple products were its restrictions and limitations:

the restrictions
the overcharging
the protectionism
the censorship for content and apps
the self-preferencing itself
the locking-in consumers
the locking out vendors and competitors
the locking out valuable and useful functionality

For me, the great thing about computers - and that includes handheld computers like iPhones and iPads - and the internet are their utility, functionality, being able to do so many things, having wide a choice of application(s) and services to use. Innovation and extensibility. And interoperability, yes. That not everything is provided and controlled by one single entity as a sort of dictatorship.

Honestly, I pity people like you that seem to think that a little less power concentration of power, less protectionism, less censorship, less restrictions less locking-in and locking is only designed to or going to "kill off" Apple, its brand, products and overall innovation in the market.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Wow, way to spin this. It's okay if there is no competition. But if the lone vendor locks down the app store...tsk, tsk, tsk.
You can’t force competition if the market won’t support it. All you can do is make the market favorable for a competitive company to enter, and that’s by ensuring a fair market free from abuse and anti competitive practices.

As EU commission have state. They aren’t in the business to prop up failing ideas.

Competition encourages companies to offer consumers goods and services on the most favourable terms. It encourages efficiency and innovation and reduces prices.
👉To be effective, competition requires companies to act independently of each other, but subject to the pressure exerted by their competitors.

This is what apple is fundamentally going against

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You can’t force competition
That's exactly what the EU is doing. They are regulating competition.
if the market won’t support it. All you can do is make the market favorable for a competitive company to enter, and that’s by ensuring a fair market free from abuse and anti competitive practices.
Making the market favorable by regulating competitors is a bad way, imo, to go about this.
As EU commission have state. They aren’t in the business to prop up failing ideas.

Competition encourages companies to offer consumers goods and services on the most favourable terms. It encourages efficiency and innovation and reduces prices.
👉To be effective, competition requires companies to act independently of each other, but subject to the pressure exerted by their competitors.

This is what apple is fundamentally going against
I don't think the EU knows what it wants. The littany of nanny regulations are going to come back to haunt them.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You're not living in reality and your talk about "killing off" Apple and its brand is nothing more than fearmongering.
One should go back and look at the actual regulation and what it regulates - very specifically...

Quoting the MacRumors article from the beginning of this thread:

Under the DMA, gatekeepers may have to:
  • Allow users to install apps from third-party app stores and sideload directly from the internet. 👉 Yes, that's a gain for the product and its utility. More apps is better than less apps and Apple prohibiting.
  • Allow developers to offer third-party payment systems in apps and promote offers outside the gatekeeper's platforms. 👉 Yes, since they can charge less with external payment methods, that's an advantage for customers.
  • Allow developers to integrate their apps and digital services directly with those belonging to a gatekeeper. This includes making messaging, voice-calling, and video-calling services interoperable with third-party services upon request. 👉 Yes, interoperability (between different devices, manufacturers, apps and service) is a gain for the
  • Give developers access to any hardware feature, such as "near-field communication technology, secure elements and processors, authentication mechanisms, and the software used to control those technologies." 👉 Yes, apps being able to use hardware features is a gain compared to Apple locking them out.
  • Give users the option to change the default voice assistant to a third-party option. 👉 Yes, that's a gain for the product and its utility. You like a different voice assistant, you can use it. That's a gain comparted Apple locking others out.
The DMA also seeks to ensure that gatekeepers can no longer:
  • Pre-install certain software applications and require users to use any important default software services such as web browsers. 👉 Yes, having a choice of web browser is a gain compared to Apple locking others out.
  • Require app developers to use certain services or frameworks, including browser engines, payment systems, and identity providers, to be listed in app stores. 👉 Yes, having a choice of web browser is a gain compared to Apple locking others out.

And you're making it out as if the only good things about Apple products were its restrictions and limitations:

the restrictions
the overcharging
the protectionism
the censorship for content and apps
the self-preferencing itself
the locking-in consumers
the locking out vendors and competitors
the locking out valuable and useful functionality

For me, the great thing about computers - and that includes handheld computers like iPhones and iPads - and the internet are their utility, functionality, being able to do so many things, having wide a choice of application(s) and services to use. Innovation and extensibility. And interoperability, yes. That not everything is provided and controlled by one single entity as a sort of dictatorship.

Honestly, I pity people like you that seem to think that a little less power concentration of power, less protectionism, less censorship, less restrictions less locking-in and locking is only designed to or going to "kill off" Apple, its brand, products and overall innovation in the market.
Bottom line: This is apple ecosystem. They spent the r&d, the innovation, the development, testing and etc. If you want apple to be as open as android, then buy an android. Dont regulate american tech companies into the ground because that will come back to haunt you.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Google is the one that is entering into agreements with their own horizontal competitors in the smartphone market to limit competition. Not Apple.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
This is apple ecosystem. They spent the r&d, the innovation, the development, testing and etc. If you want apple to be as open as android, then buy an android
Yes, it's Apple's ecosystem.

And it has become too vital and important for society and the overall economy to leave it unregulated, to allow Apple unlimited and unchecked gatekeeping power and just do (or lock in and out people) as they please.

And becoming regulated it will.
In the EU. In the US. Elsewhere.
Dont regulate american tech companies into the ground because that will come back to haunt you.
This hyperbole and fearmongering is laughable.
It's not driving companies "into the ground".

It's diligent regulation to regulate just a few narrowly defined business practices of gatekeepers - to ensure a fair market and competition.

They aren't prohibited from selling smartphones at the prices and margins they like.
They aren't prohibited from operating their own first-tier app store.
They aren't prohibited from operating their own payment wallet scheme.
They can operate and offer products and services just as before.
Their platforms will just become a bit more open and interoperable.

It won't drive them “into the ground”.
Just as sideloading - and even piracy - didn't drive the Google Play Store into the ground.

PS: I won’t be making this discussion any more circuitous by dignifying another instance of “Well, if Apple are too sternly regulated, they’ll have to withdraw from the EU” with an answer.

Last edited:

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
So then like I said, you don’t get a say.
In the EU.
What exactly are you referring to that is the exact opposite?
I bolded it.
No, follow the conversation. We’re talking about a scenario where vertical integration is required and smartphone makers have to create and utilize their own operating systems, rather than use Android.
Was this not done pre iOS and Android? Did we not have exactly that before iOS and Android?
Didn't Samsung make their own (Tizen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen )? Heuwei as well ( HarmonyOS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HarmonyOS )?
Under this paradigm developers would apparently be forced to support all these different platforms, some with next to no users.
Next to no users? Really, Linux has next to no users? MacOS has next to no users? Dude...
It’s fine if you want to jump into the middle of an ongoing conversation between others, but at least follow along with what was said.

Nope. Again with trying to place the burden on those who are least capable of carrying it. Sorry, the EU isn’t doing that.
You see burden. I see opportunity.
Because you have to implement new tax laws to tax Apple and Google and set up a system for giving out loans or grants on a hope and a prayer that consumers will actually move to the offerings being funded by those grants and loans.
I don't think I said they need to create a new OS for mobiles (Even-though there are). At least I don't think I said that. But in any event. Programing for Linux/MacOS/Windows/Android/iOS-Pad so that their applications run on as many "things" as possible. They are not tied to one or 2 streams of income. They can make a ton from Windows, and Android since it's the biggest of the group. If it's a great app/game. Users on Mac and Linux will purchase it. Maybe they don't make a killing from those "other" platforms, but they are available. And those of Us/You that want to be on another platform because you know "choices" and all. Can still get everything you want on it. People program for all those systems so it's not like we are baking a cake without the ingredients here. Things exist. Fund it if you want it, it's not that complicated.

And I’m sure Apple and Google wouldn’t be happy about their money being taken to directly fund competitors. This of course being the alternative to simply telling Apple and Google they’re not allowed to do X, Y, and Z, which is far less convoluted.
Depends on what X, Y, Z are/is. If it goes against what Apple believes they should be doing, they very well may walk.
Again, if the UK can vote to leave the EU, why would it be so much harder for Apple? With 2 products?
It won’t end up that way. Apple leaving the EU exists only in the minds of deluded Apple fanatics who are completely detached from reality.
UK.

There are products I can't get in Canada from the US, and it's next door. Stupid things like Wine and Cookies. Nothing to the level of a mobile phone. And I can get other products from the same manufactures that don't sell the Wine or Cookies in Canada. It's not impossible. However, unlikely it may be.

You don't run Apple any more than I do. So please, you have zero idea if they will or will not. We are just providing a reasonable assumption based on what's happening in the EU. If it is worth it for Apple to continue or not.
I think I have provided a reasonable set of alternatives to solve this perceived issue.

1) EU Tax the "gatekeepers" past "X" Euro's/Dollars made and extra "X" %
2) Use those tax revenues to fund a program to develop within the EU. Existing small companies/freelancers.
3) That pool of money can be grants or loans or tax breaks for said companies/freelancers to develop within the EU
4) They can be paid back over "X" years at either low or no interest.
5) They can be provided to Universities/Colleges/trade schools for free to create development/programing classes
6) Invite the world of talent to come to the EU and learn or use your skills to create the next big thing.

Something similar to:
"What is in chips act?
The bulk of the CHIPS Act is a $39 billion fund that will subsidize companies that expand or build new semiconductor manufacturing facilities in the US. The Commerce Department will determine which companies receive the funding, which will be disbursed over five years".

Something similar for development of new applications on all platforms.
I don't think Apple or Google would mind this much. It would be cheaper than them changing their OS or way of doing business. And they would gain from the expanded talent pool of those making new apps and programs for MANY different platforms.

You don't agree. That's fine. But seriously, to think that a developer could not because it's too hard. I'd like to point you to Apple. They started in a garage. It doesn't have to happen overnight, but if you limit yourselves it will never happen.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
This is exactly what apple does on the AppStore with developers who compete against apples first party solutions
No, it’s not. Apple doesn’t enter into an agreement with horizontal competition to limit competition. Spotify is free to make deals outside the App Store.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.