Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
In the EU.
Which is where I was talking about and what this thread is about.

I bolded it.
What platforms are Apple being required to support?

Was this not done pre iOS and Android? Did we not have exactly that before iOS and Android?
Didn't Samsung make their own (Tizen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen )? Heuwei as well ( HarmonyOS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HarmonyOS )?
We did. It seems you agree with me that it’s a dumb idea and that it won’t solve anything. If that’s the case then take it up with @mrochester becuase they’re the one with such a half-baked idea.

Next to no users? Really, Linux has next to no users? MacOS has next to no users? Dude...
Dude, I can explain it for you but I can’t understand it for you. We’re talking about a scenario where every smartphone manufacturer and their OS would have to be supported by every developer. This means even the OS of manufacturers like HTC and Vivo with insignificant market share. This has nothing to do with macOS or Linux.

You see burden. I see opportunity.
Cool, doesn’t matter and won’t change what the EU is doing.

I don't think I said they need to create a new OS for mobiles (Even-though there are). At least I don't think I said that. But in any event. Programing for Linux/MacOS/Windows/Android/iOS-Pad so that their applications run on as many "things" as possible. They are not tied to one or 2 streams of income. They can make a ton from Windows, and Android since it's the biggest of the group. If it's a great app/game. Users on Mac and Linux will purchase it. Maybe they don't make a killing from those "other" platforms, but they are available. And those of Us/You that want to be on another platform because you know "choices" and all. Can still get everything you want on it. People program for all those systems so it's not like we are baking a cake without the ingredients here. Things exist. Fund it if you want it, it's not that complicated.
You didn’t say that but you did jump into the middle of a conversation and started taking things out of context to make unrelated points.

Depends on what X, Y, Z are/is. If it goes against what Apple believes they should be doing, they very well may walk.
Again, if the UK can vote to leave the EU, why would it be so much harder for Apple? With 2 products?

UK.
Apple won’t leave because they’d be leaving tens of billions of dollars on the table every year. You understand the UK left for entirely different reasons than a for-profit company would? Apparently you don’t. Not to mention that a majority of UK citizens now regret that decision.

There are products I can't get in Canada from the US, and it's next door. Stupid things like Wine and Cookies. Nothing to the level of a mobile phone. And I can get other products from the same manufactures that don't sell the Wine or Cookies in Canada. It's not impossible. However, unlikely it may be.

You don't run Apple any more than I do. So please, you have zero idea if they will or will not. We are just providing a reasonable assumption based on what's happening in the EU. If it is worth it for Apple to continue or not.
I think I have provided a reasonable set of alternatives to solve this perceived issue.
Feel free to @ me when Apple leaves lol. I’ll hit you up in about a year when they’re still there.

1) EU Tax the "gatekeepers" past "X" Euro's/Dollars made and extra "X" %
2) Use those tax revenues to fund a program to develop within the EU. Existing small companies/freelancers.
3) That pool of money can be grants or loans or tax breaks for said companies/freelancers to develop within the EU
4) They can be paid back over "X" years at either low or no interest.
5) They can be provided to Universities/Colleges/trade schools for free to create development/programing classes
6) Invite the world of talent to come to the EU and learn or use your skills to create the next big thing.

Something similar to:
"What is in chips act?
The bulk of the CHIPS Act is a $39 billion fund that will subsidize companies that expand or build new semiconductor manufacturing facilities in the US. The Commerce Department will determine which companies receive the funding, which will be disbursed over five years".

Something similar for development of new applications on all platforms.
I don't think Apple or Google would mind this much. It would be cheaper than them changing their OS or way of doing business. And they would gain from the expanded talent pool of those making new apps and programs for MANY different platforms.

You don't agree. That's fine. But seriously, to think that a developer could not because it's too hard. I'd like to point you to Apple. They started in a garage. It doesn't have to happen overnight, but if you limit yourselves it will never happen.
Apparently you’re still completely missing what the issue is. The issue isn’t the availability of apps or developers. The issue is what developers are allowed to make their apps do because of artificial limitations set in place by Apple. How does giving a developer a bunch of money fix the issue with not being allowed to do certain things with their app or access NFC because of Apple? As long as Apple can put up artificial barriers for devs, throwing a bunch of money at them won’t fix anything in that regard.

Last edited:

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
That’s not the point I’m making. Apple does not want that, right? But if they go and charge users for every individual item then they’re just pushing users to switch to another platform.
what make you think Apple does not want that? LoL

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
Many EU citizens love using iPhones (though most of them won't love them as much to pay €200/year for basic software/maintenance and an App Store, as you suggested earlier, when you can get that for free on Android).

Apple loves making money by selling iPhones and apps.
Their greed for money is a very good point to keeping selling them in the EU.
this is hypocrite....why EU citizen expect free software from Apple? why EU citizen take it for granted on other people hard work?

Again, I see my statement not contradicting as if you think all the software developer should get pay by using their app. TBH, EU is the worst place I ever been, China is much better than EU in so many ways.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
are you suggesting the developer who fight for lower cost is not because of $$$
Sure, but what exactly is your point? You asked why Apple wouldn’t charge EU users a bunch of ridiculous fees. Because Apple doesn’t want to lose their customers to Android. Or put a simpler way, because AAPL likes $$$.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Again, if the UK can vote to leave the EU, why would it be so much harder for Apple
Apple is a for-profit company that’s actually hugely profitable in the EU.
The United Kingdom was and is not.
TBH, EU is the worst place I ever been, China is much better than EU in so many ways
If you like authoritarian regimes that allow only one party, suppress freedom of the press, censor the internet like no other country and run concentration camps on their own citizens and have little respect for intellectual property, then …yes, it’s pretty great, I guess?

Last edited:
Reactions: vipergts2207

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
Sure, but what exactly is your point? You asked why Apple wouldn’t charge EU users a bunch of ridiculous fees. Because Apple doesn’t want to lose their customers to Android. Or put a simpler way, because AAPL likes $$$.
don't twist the facts.
Why Apple didn't charge because it is Apple devices which is not open system.
it is not because AAPL like $$ or just for the $$ sakes.

if that ruling is going to apply, I would support AAPL withdraw their Apple devices out of EU.
Maybe just selling the software/APP in the Playstore or to other phone will do.

• Haha
Reactions: vipergts2207

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
The United Kingdom was and is not.

If you like authoritarian regimes that allow only one party, suppress freedom of the press, censor the internet like no other country and run concentration camps on their own citizens and have little respect for intellectual property, then …yes, it’s pretty great, I guess?
I'm very sure you never been to China, or living there.

Or maybe you do not understand the history of EU. Under the regime of empires, in the past history, I don't think EU will go anywhere or develop further.

EU is full of thefts....dirty, racists, arrogant and slow in work.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Apparently you’re still completely missing what the issue is. The issue isn’t the availability of apps or developers. The issue is what developers are allowed to make their apps do because of artificial limitations set in place by Apple.
So this is all about Apple at the end of the day. Android doesn't limit. However, being there are alternatives with other handset manufactures, and those that "could" also offer almost like for like compatibility with Android OS apps (Tizen/HaromonyOS). Is still not enough to sway the EU from making any laws to get Apple to open up more. Apple is 1 company with 1 mobile phone and 1 OS. This whole thing started over lack of options, lack of innovation, lack of competition, anti-competitive behavior. The dominant, gatekeeping, wall-gardens. Almost all against Apple's way of doing business. How they do nothing BUT limit everyone else.

Meanwhile we have plenty of choices, and COULD spur more, innovate more, promote more options. But that's not good enough either? That's a waste of time? It's simpler to force Apple to open up and provide what the EU wants and let developers just have at it? When I counter with, just buy another device if you want features your iPhone doesn't. Just use another Android phone with all of what you want on it, and root the thing to do MORE of what you want it to do. Support the companies that make devices and OS's that let you do more with it. Nope, not good enough. Apple is the problem! They control everything, they dictate this and limit that and we need to make them open so we can all benefit. I say rubbish. You have choice you can vote with your euro's you can support more open platforms (stop buying the closed ones!), and call on your leaders to fund development and research and provide grants, loans, scholarships, invite the world over to join in the EU developer community start a business there. Nope, not good enough. Why have a talent pool and promote any kind of tech innovation within the EU? Why do that? Just tell the Sillicon Valley nerds to do what we want. It's better in the long run right? Like China having all the manufacturing of practically EVERYTHING made these days. Like Russia having all the gas that the EU needs to function? Right, just do the same thing to Apple, force them to consider alternative ways to make a euro/buck that doesn't require them to do what the law states. Potentially leaving the EU with 1 or maybe fragmented Android only options.

When it comes back to bite you in the arse then what? What's the plan? What law will get past then?
I brought up the US's proposed CHIPS Act to show what the EU could do. Fund the development of what you seek within the EU. So that you're less dependent on the 1 or few options available. The US doesn't want to see another supply chain issue in regards to CPU's for all the things we need. So, we are funding a solution. To be less or totally independent of China/Taiwan manufacturing. The EU? Makes laws to regulate the only options you have.

This is all about Apple, and forcing them to be more like Android. So again, when I say what happens if Apple leaves the EU. Nope they will not, too much money to be made. It's not like the UK, which now regrets their decision. So what? They are a big country they can make grown up decisions, right or wrong ones. What's stopping Apple from making any decision, right or wrong? They are free to do so. If the value of staying is lowered enough by their standards which can include financial and philosophical, principle, whatever. They can leave. They can still sell watches, AirPods, AppleTV's, mac's, software, and speakers. They could even sell an iPhone running Android. Just like I said about a companies products not all being available just across the boarder. I could buy Wine from a vineyard in both countries (CAN/US), but 1 specific type I can't across the boarder. One product of cookies made by the same company that sells in both countries. I can't get just 1 of these things across the boarder. Everything else, I can get. This could be no different.
How does giving a developer a bunch of money fix the issue with not being allowed to do certain things with their app or access NFC because of Apple?
Because Apple isn't the only choice. They have customers yes, and developers want access to those customers yes? So you comply with it or you don't. Here is some money to build something new, or to diversify where your applications/programs work on. Don't like Apple's limitations? Well, we understand its hard to develop for multiple OS's, but if your willing to try it. The EU is here to help you fund it.

If Apple was 60-70% of the market, I'd maybe agree with you more on this. Maybe. If Apple had started open and then took it away, changed the rules to be more controlling, or charged more overtime for no good reason (I think increasing prices due to inflation is a good reason, or if CODB cost of doing business increased, that too is a good reason to increase pricing). I'd be more in your camp on this. But none of this have they done. No 180 degree position changes, no unfair or unreasonable price increases. They have been exactly what they have been.

And being that Apple "is" an alternative to Android, as a consumer you have a choice. Pick it or pick something else. As a developer you have a choice. Program for it, or something else. If Apple doesn't have developers developing for it, the product WILL change to accommodate what the people (as you and others claim) want. If EPIC had just walked away from Apple vs trying to pull a fast one. Maybe others would have too. And Apple would have changed to accommodate or listened more, etc.
As long as Apple can put up artificial barriers for devs, throwing a bunch of money at them won’t fix anything in that regard.
Again, not seeing my point. But, I'll agree to disagree.
You see barriers, and I see opportunity.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I am not disputing this. I'm stating that it's possible for Apple to decide it's not worth it for them to do what the EU wants. It wouldn't be the first time the EU wanted something and others just didn't want to comply with it. Especially when it comes to money. I bring up Brexit because the UK stood to lose a lot of business with the EU. But, valued their sovereignty more (simplified explanation). Good or bad reason to do so, good or bad outcome for the UK. The point being they did it. Another example but not in the EU would be Tesla. They left California. Which is like the worlds 4th largest economy if it was a country. Why, because they didn't like the rules. Good bad or whatever people may think of this choice. They did it. And they ask others to join them build a better Tesla in Texas.
And I certainly don't agree with everything Elon Musk does or says. But it's his company and his choice to make a move that he/they believe will be better for them in the long run.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
The EU is indeed regulating competition. They aren’t forcing companies with few consumers to exist for the sake of creating “competition” which is what some folks here are asking for.
I'm stating "funding" it. Not "forcing" it. You know, like they are funding a Nuclear fusion project ITER. Put money into a problem they are trying to solve. Get governments and scientists from all over the world to,.. Whatever man.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
So this is all about Apple at the end of the day. Android doesn't limit. However, being there are alternatives with other handset manufactures, and those that "could" also offer almost like for like compatibility with Android OS apps (Tizen/HaromonyOS). Is still not enough to sway the EU from making any laws to get Apple to open up more. Apple is 1 company with 1 mobile phone and 1 OS. This whole thing started over lack of options, lack of innovation, lack of competition, anti-competitive behavior. The dominant, gatekeeping, wall-gardens. Almost all against Apple's way of doing business. How they do nothing BUT limit everyone else.

Meanwhile we have plenty of choices, and COULD spur more, innovate more, promote more options. But that's not good enough either? That's a waste of time? It's simpler to force Apple to open up and provide what the EU wants and let developers just have at it? When I counter with, just buy another device if you want features your iPhone doesn't. Just use another Android phone with all of what you want on it, and root the thing to do MORE of what you want it to do. Support the companies that make devices and OS's that let you do more with it. Nope, not good enough. Apple is the problem! They control everything, they dictate this and limit that and we need to make them open so we can all benefit. I say rubbish. You have choice you can vote with your euro's you can support more open platforms (stop buying the closed ones!), and call on your leaders to fund development and research and provide grants, loans, scholarships, invite the world over to join in the EU developer community start a business there. Nope, not good enough. Why have a talent pool and promote any kind of tech innovation within the EU? Why do that? Just tell the Sillicon Valley nerds to do what we want. It's better in the long run right? Like China having all the manufacturing of practically EVERYTHING made these days. Like Russia having all the gas that the EU needs to function? Right, just do the same thing to Apple, force them to consider alternative ways to make a euro/buck that doesn't require them to do what the law states. Potentially leaving the EU with 1 or maybe fragmented Android only options.

When it comes back to bite you in the arse then what? What's the plan? What law will get past then?
Oh no, scary, let me clutch my pearls real quick. 🙄

I brought up the US's proposed CHIPS Act to show what the EU could do. Fund the development of what you seek within the EU. So that you're less dependent on the 1 or few options available. The US doesn't want to see another supply chain issue in regards to CPU's for all the things we need. So, we are funding a solution. To be less or totally independent of China/Taiwan manufacturing. The EU? Makes laws to regulate the only options you have.

This is all about Apple, and forcing them to be more like Android. So again, when I say what happens if Apple leaves the EU. Nope they will not, too much money to be made. It's not like the UK, which now regrets their decision. So what? They are a big country they can make grown up decisions, right or wrong ones. What's stopping Apple from making any decision, right or wrong? They are free to do so. If the value of staying is lowered enough by their standards which can include financial and philosophical, principle, whatever. They can leave. They can still sell watches, AirPods, AppleTV's, mac's, software, and speakers.
Companies seek to avoid bad decisions. Since leaving would be a bad decision, they won’t do it. Pretty simple really. Like I said, feel free to @ me when they leave. Cue the skeletonwaiting.jpg.

Because Apple isn't the only choice. They have customers yes, and developers want access to those customers yes? So you comply with it or you don't. Here is some money to build something new, or to diversify where your applications/programs work on. Don't like Apple's limitations? Well, we understand its hard to develop for multiple OS's, but if your willing to try it. The EU is here to help you fund it.
Help developers diversify to other platforms with a combined 3% of the market? That’s supposed to solve what exactly? It certainly doesn’t help developers gain full access to the 30% of the market Apple controls in the EU.

If Apple was 60-70% of the market, I'd maybe agree with you more on this. Maybe. If Apple had started open and then took it away, changed the rules to be more controlling, or charged more overtime for no good reason (I think increasing prices due to inflation is a good reason, or if CODB cost of doing business increased, that too is a good reason to increase pricing). I'd be more in your camp on this. But none of this have they done. No 180 degree position changes, no unfair or unreasonable price increases. They have been exactly what they have been.
Clearly you have a far higher bar for what warrants regulatory action. Unfortunately for you that doesn’t matter.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I am not disputing this. I'm stating that it's possible for Apple to decide it's not worth it for them to do what the EU wants. It wouldn't be the first time the EU wanted something and others just didn't want to comply with it. Especially when it comes to money. I bring up Brexit because the UK stood to lose a lot of business with the EU. But, valued their sovereignty more (simplified explanation). Good or bad reason to do so, good or bad outcome for the UK. The point being they did it. Another example but not in the EU would be Tesla. They left California. Which is like the worlds 4th largest economy if it was a country. Why, because they didn't like the rules. Good bad or whatever people may think of this choice. They did it. And they ask others to join them build a better Tesla in Texas.
And I certainly don't agree with everything Elon Musk does or says. But it's his company and his choice to make a move that he/they believe will be better for them in the long run.
Moving operations and/or HQ is far from pulling your products out of that market. If Tesla pulled their products from California, their stock would’ve cratered. They would never do that just like Apple would never leave the EU over this. California has almost 40% of the EVs in the nation. What Tesla did and what you’re saying Apple would do are apples and baseballs.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Moving operations and/or HQ is far from pulling your products out of that market. If Tesla pulled their products from California, their stock would’ve cratered. They would never do that just like Apple would never leave the EU over this. California has almost 40% of the EVs in the nation. What Tesla did and what you’re saying Apple would do are apples and baseballs.
If the US enacted similar legislation and Tesla was caught up in the same type of ip Robin Hood, they would crater.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I'm stating "funding" it. Not "forcing" it. You know, like they are funding a Nuclear fusion project ITER. Put money into a problem they are trying to solve. Get governments and scientists from all over the world to,.. Whatever man.
I was not talking about you, nor to you in that comment…

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
If the US enacted similar legislation and Tesla was caught up in the same type of ip Robin Hood, they would crater.
Well seeing as how the automotive market is highly competitive with many strong players (unlike the smartphone OS arena), I’m not sure how or even why one would craft similar legislation regarding vehicles.

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
don't twist the facts.
Why Apple didn't charge because it is Apple devices which is not open system.
it is not because AAPL like $$ or just for the $$ sakes.

if that ruling is going to apply, I would support AAPL withdraw their Apple devices out of EU.
Maybe just selling the software/APP in the Playstore or to other phone will do.
Let’s Apple become developer and sell all the app to andriod phone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well seeing as how the automotive market is highly competitive with many strong players (unlike the smartphone OS arena), I’m not sure how or even why one would craft similar legislation regarding vehicles.
Tesla is the defacto manufacturer of electric vehicles. The cell phone market is highly vibrant as well.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Tesla is the defacto manufacturer of electric vehicles. The cell phone market is highly vibrant as well.
And? A vehicle is a vehicle and cross-shopping a typical ICE vehicle with hybrids and with EVs is a regular practice. Someone shopping for a car will buy a Honda, Ford, VW, Toyota, or a Tesla. Not one of those and a Tesla. If you’re trying to say Tesla isn’t a direct competitor of the other automakers, that would be quite laughable.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
And? A vehicle is a vehicle and cross-shopping a typical ICE vehicle with hybrids and with EVs is a regular practice. Someone shopping for a car will buy a Honda, Ford, VW, Toyota, or a Tesla. Not one of those and a Tesla. If you’re trying to say Tesla isn’t a direct competitor of the other automakers, that would be quite laughable.
Well, Tesla’s a very interesting comparison, and there are strong parallels.

The market for electric cars today is a small submarket of the broader automobile market - similarly to how the smartphone market was a small submarket of the broader cell phone market 15-20 years ago.

Electric cars seem bound to overtake the largest part of the market for cars though, similarly to how smartphones overlook the market for mobile phones (in developed economies and increasingly in developing as well) by replacing smaller dumbphones and relegating them to niches.

And Tesla is a similarly dominant player in that nascent submarket of electric cars and has a “cult following” that’s not dissimilar to Apple’s. Also… it has some questionable business practices.

It begs the question: should we regulate Tesla, a dominant company in a submarket that will probably grow two overtake the overall automobile market within a couple of years? And should we do it now, later or never - and wait until their more questionable, anticompetitive business practices become an issue?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.