Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Being concerned that your phone will kill you would actually seem to be the hyperbolic stance. I’ve never once been worried about such a thing. Perhaps you keep your phone in an airtight, fireproof enclosure when you’re not using it though. 🤷‍♂️

And while their statement may not have been technically incorrect, as a practical matter they were on the money.
Different strokes for different folks. For me I’m less worried about a car accident than my phone or EarPods blowing up next to my face. So we can debate the practical matter of this, which I do agree with, but didn’t agree with ops perspective.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Different strokes for different folks. For me I’m less worried about a car accident than my phone or EarPods blowing up next to my face. So we can debate the practical matter of this, which I do agree with, but didn’t agree with ops perspective.
Statistically you should be worried about your car or another car killing you for improper maintenance or dangerous but legal modifications.

We have more phones in more places and we can likely count the deaths caused by a phone on one hand per year from like fires etc( not texting and driving)

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

Being more worried about being killed by your phone or EarPods rather than a car crash is absurd based on the simple statistics. I tend to trust math and science, but as you said, to each their own.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Statistically you should be worried about your car or another car killing you for improper maintenance or dangerous but legal modifications.

We have more phones in more places and we can likely count the deaths caused by a phone on one hand per year from like fires etc( not texting and driving)
That not what you said though way back when.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Apple simply chose to pay a $5.5 million fine every week for months in the Netherlands instead of obey orders from the Authority for Consumers and Markets (ACM) to allow third-party payment systems in Dutch dating apps.

EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager has set up a DMA taskforce, with about 80 officials expected to join, but some lawmakers have called for an even bigger taskforce to counter the power of big tech companies. The Digital Services Package now simply needs to be adopted by the European Council before coming into force in the fall.
 pulling out of all EU countries in 3….2….1…….

(they can afford to do it, they have China and other bigger market they can cater to that generates lot revenue in the en)

• Haha
Reactions: User 6502

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
 pulling out of all EU countries in 3….2….1…….

(they can afford to do it, they have China and other bigger market they can cater to that generates lot revenue in the en)
Sure sure, apple giving up the biggest trading block in the world is not at all a ludicrous suggestion. Apple will comply, like they are going to do with the usb c connector.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Sure sure, apple giving up the biggest trading block in the world is not at all a ludicrous suggestion. Apple will comply, like they are going to do with the usb c connector.
Apple was already planning to transition to USB-C (and eventually to Thunderbolt for pro iPhone models) long before EU regulators forced them to, because of transfer speeds. (Pros wanted faster transfer speeds, and with Lightning, Apple has hit a brick wall, so they finally gave up trying to fix Lightning……)

They can still give EU middle finger by leaving if they try to regulate them like crazy…… consumers will be the biggest loser than

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
As long as they require third parties to make their apps available on the App Store using Apple Pay etc so that I can continue to stay within the Apple Ecosystem for the same price. I mean it’s cheaper to use your own system so you can lower consumer prices using your infrastructure, right? That was the argument. So use Epic store should cost less, but the Apple Store should stay the same cost.

Let me opt out of all that and don’t let Google force me to use Chrome if I want to watch YouTube.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
They can still give EU middle finger by leaving if they try to regulate them like crazy…… consumers will be the biggest loser than

Apple shareholders do not care if Apple executives are butthurt because the EU tells them to do something. If they leave the market rather than make a change, any change, resulting in even one dollar of lost revenue, management will be on the receiving end of a shareholder lawsuit before they get home from work for the evening.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
Apple was already planning to transition to USB-C (and eventually to Thunderbolt for pro iPhone models) long before EU regulators forced them to, because of transfer speeds. (Pros wanted faster transfer speeds, and with Lightning, Apple has hit a brick wall, so they finally gave up trying to fix Lightning……)

If apple wanted to transition to usb c without being forced to they could have done it years ago. They are only doing because they have to. Transfer speed has nothing to do with it, as the new iPad with usb c connector but usb 2 transfer speed proves. Apple is not a child, it’s a company. Companies main interest is to make profit, not to give middle fingers. They will comply because is the only choice that makes financial sense.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
If apple wanted to transition to usb c without being forced to they could have done it years ago.

Someone at Apple has a corporate political interest, and a salary bonus tied to the MFI Lightning connector licencing programme.

Ikea's Lillhult USB-A to USB-C 1.5m braided cable is AU$12. The exact same cable, in USB-A to Lightning, is AU$17 - an almost 50% markup, that's mostly going to be licencing revenue to Apple (USD$4 / connector).

That's the reason for resistance to USB-C in the iPhone.

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Someone at Apple has a corporate political interest, and a salary bonus tied to the MFI Lightning connector licencing programme.

Ikea's Lillhult USB-A to USB-C 1.5m braided cable is AU$12. The exact same cable, in USB-A to Lightning, is AU$17 - an almost 50% markup, that's mostly going to be licencing revenue to Apple (USD$4 / connector).

That's the reason for resistance to USB-C in the iPhone.
If apple at least made some effort to upgrade lightning to lightning2 maybe now everything would be fine. But, wtf, for how many years u can keep an usb2 connection on phones sold for 1000+ bucks?!! Because, yes, lightning its basically usb2!

Reactions: GeoStructural

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Not entirely sure a modern phone needs any more than USB2.0 since the port is basically just used to charge the thing.

Reactions: R3k

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Not entirely sure a modern phone needs any more than USB2.0 since the port is basically just used to charge the thing.
Wrong. It could and should also be used for high-quality video output. The POS Lightning connector is inferior to the ancient 30-pin iPod connector it replaced, which was capable of legitimate HD video output... which the Lightning is not.

Lightning was gimped, incompetent trash from the day it was introduced.

Reactions: GeoStructural

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Wrong. It could and should also be used for high-quality video output. The POS Lightning connector is inferior to the ancient 30-pin iPod connector it replaced, which was capable of legitimate HD video output... which the Lightning is not.

Lightning was gimped, incompetent trash from the day it was introduced.
My point is I don’t think people actually use it for that, so it won’t matter how fast it is. People do things wirelessly.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
My point is I don’t think people actually use it for that, so it won’t matter how fast it is. People do things wirelessly.
Yeah, that's what people said when Apple disgracefully removed the headphone jack from its best-selling music player: the iPhone. And when you looked around at people all over the world, on trains, planes, whatever... you saw WIRED headphones.

Wireless is compressed, battery-sapping, unnecessary bullshìt in many cases.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Yeah, that's what people said when Apple disgracefully removed the headphone jack from its best-selling music player: the iPhone. And when you looked around at people all over the world, on trains, planes, whatever... you saw WIRED headphones.

Wireless is compressed, battery-sapping, unnecessary bullshìt in many cases.
The people who chose to connect their phone via cable for data transfers can already do that. I suspect they’ll continue to be able to do it.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
I suspect that Apple will petulantly remove the last I/O port from iOS devices, as soon as it can figure out how to facilitate development without it.

If that pompous hack Jony Ive were still onboard at Apple, this already would've happened.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I suspect that Apple will petulantly remove the last I/O port from iOS devices, as soon as it can figure out how to facilitate development without it.

If that pompous hack Jony Ive were still onboard at Apple, this already would've happened.
Yeah charging, data and audio are all already handled wirelessly so there doesn’t seem to be much reason left for physical I/O.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.