Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomic1977

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2017
West Bend Wisconsin
Ok why legally requiring it in the first place ? I don’t see anything wrong with the standard that has been with us for quite sometime. Both my iPhone 13 and IPad 9 use lightening cable and it works great so why change something if it’s been working for several years.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Lol great, I'm sure that happens all the time

Once again lack of imagination. I have been on iOS since 2007. I personally have had to use a cabled restore three times in my memory due to failed updates. People I directly know add about 10 more instances. Every one of those would have been a trip to Apple and possibly not having a phone sending it out for repair.

Now consider a company that manages fleets of iPhones/iPads.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Once again lack of imagination. I have been on iOS since 2007. I personally have had to use a cabled restore three times in my memory due to failed updates. People I directly know add about 10 more instances. Every one of those would have been a trip to Apple and possibly not having a phone sending it out for repair.

Now consider a company that manages fleets of iPhones/iPads.
In every scenario, there will always be groups of people who have/haven't had a specific issue. If Apple decides to remove the port, there will be another way they offer a fix if a customer needs to restore it from home or if they have an issue where it needs to be sent in.

Also, I was told last time my phone needed to be sent in to get fixed they offer loaner phones so you may not be completely without a phone in some scenarios I'm sure. This however is assuming the person has an apple store near them to get a loaner phone or if they have stock of them at the time. They may even have a way of sending a loaner phone to someone who doesn't live near an Apple store I don't know though.

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
In every scenario, there will always be groups of people who have/haven't had a specific issue. If Apple decides to remove the port, there will be another way they offer a fix if a customer needs to restore it from home or if they have an issue where it needs to be sent in.

Also, I was told last time my phone needed to be sent in to get fixed they offer loaner phones so you may not be completely without a phone in some scenarios I'm sure. This however is assuming the person has an apple store near them to get a loaner phone or if they have stock of them at the time. They may even have a way of sending a loaner phone to someone who doesn't live near an Apple store I don't know though.
That's fine for people that use their phone for personal stuff (in most scenarios). However if you you two-factor and work apps this is an absolute nightmare of a scenario. A loner phone would be useless even with a restored backup.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
That's fine for people that use their phone for personal stuff (in most scenarios). However if you you two-factor and work apps this is an absolute nightmare of a scenario. A loner phone would be useless even with a restored backup.
If that’s the case then of course the technology has to adapt. You can’t please everybody but we also don’t know that if Apple plans to remove the charging port how they will address such issues and I truly believe they’ve thought ahead for most eventualities. At least there is an option for a loaner which is more than most companies do.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If that’s the case then of course the technology has to adapt. You can’t please everybody but we also don’t know that if Apple plans to remove the charging port how they will address such issues and I truly believe they’ve thought ahead for most eventualities. At least there is an option for a loaner which is more than most companies do.
They won’t be able to cover all scenarios because they can’t. Edge cases or cases that are overlooked exist, and those affected individual would have bad taste on Apple’s software and hardware.

I’ve said this quite a few years ago when people were arguing iPhone should go portless and buttonless: enjoy the moment where you have to send your phone to apple if iOS ever glitch out and frozen and you can’t event force a restart of your device Yourself.

Sure, there should be fallbacks in case something bad happen. But given Apple’s stagnating revenue stream, the evil me suspect they will employ more anti-consumer tactics down the line to gain more revenue.

Reactions: S7anley

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
They won’t be able to cover all scenarios because they can’t. Edge cases or cases that are overlooked exist, and those affected individual would have bad taste on Apple’s software and hardware.

I’ve said this quite a few years ago when people were arguing iPhone should go portless and buttonless: enjoy the moment where you have to send your phone to apple if iOS ever glitch out and frozen and you can’t event force a restart of your device Yourself.

Sure, there should be fallbacks in case something bad happen. But given Apple’s stagnating revenue stream, the evil me suspect they will employ more anti-consumer tactics down the line to gain more revenue.
They’ll probably implement one of those paper clip holes on the iPhone that one uses to reset a device🤣

• Haha
Reactions: S7anley

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I agree they can’t with the technology they have now but in a few years who knows, there’s always going to be edge cases or overlooked cases in literally anything when it comes to dealing with customers with different needs.

I’m not for or against a port-less iPhone. I have no horse in that race, but it would be interesting to see what they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.