Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The European Union today gave final approval to legislation that will force technology companies like Apple to switch to USB-C across a wide range of devices.

USB-C-Over-Lightning-Feature.jpg

Outlined in an official press release, the European Council today gave the European Parliament's common charger directive approval, finalizing the legislative procedure that will make a USB-C port mandatory across a wide range of consumer electronic devices, including the iPhone and AirPods, by the end of 2024. The directive has now been officially adopted and is set to be published in the official journal of the European Union. It will come into force 20 days after publication, and the rules will apply exactly 24 months after that date. Products that go on sale before the date of application will be exempt and can continue to be sold after that point.

USB-C as a legally mandated "common port" is a world-first statute and will likely impact Apple in particular since it widely uses the Lightning connector instead of USB-C on many of its devices. MEPs claim that the move will reduce electronic waste, address product sustainability, and make use of different devices more convenient.

Regardless of their manufacturer, all new mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras, headphones and headsets, handheld videogame consoles and portable speakers, e-readers, keyboards, mice, portable navigation systems, earbuds and laptops that are rechargeable via a wired cable, with a power delivery of up to 100 Watts, will have to feature a USB-C port. Exemptions will apply for devices that are too small to offer a USB-C port, such as smart watches, health trackers, and some sports equipment, but the legislation is expected to expand to other devices over time. Companies will also have to ensure that dedicated labels clearly inform consumers about the charging characteristics of devices they buy.

In addition, the EU seeks to ensure that wireless charging solutions are interoperable as the technology evolves over time. The directive empowers the European Commission to develop delegated acts by the end of 2024 that force companies to make their custom wireless charging solutions more open and meet interoperability standards, helping consumers to avoid getting locked into proprietary charging solutions while preventing fragmentation and reducing waste. It is not clear if this would include Apple's MagSafe charging system for the iPhone and AirPods since it is based on the Qi wireless charging standard.

In 2018, the European Commission attempted to reach a final resolution on this issue but it failed to come into law. At the time, Apple warned that forcing a common charging port on the industry would stifle innovation and create electronic waste as consumers would be forced to switch to new cables.

The EU's effort resumed last year, with the European Commission spearheading a refreshed version of the directive. In April, the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee voted to support the directive, with 43 votes in favor and just two against. In June, the EU's Committee on Internal Market and Consumer Protection reached an agreement to introduce the directive to the European Parliament, which then voted overwhelmingly in favor of it.

Both Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believe Apple is testing a version of the iPhone that has a USB-C port instead of Lightning. Kuo believes that Apple could switch the iPhone to USB-C starting with 2023's iPhone 15, before transitioning AirPods and other accessories at a later date. This timing would allow Apple to switch many of its affected devices to USB-C ahead of the EU directive coming into force.

Last week, Apple launched a new Siri Remote for the Apple TV and the 10th-generation iPad, both of which replace the Lightning ports on their predecessors for USB-C, seemingly indicating that Apple's transition toward the common port is already well underway.

Article Link: EU Gives Final Approval to Law That Will Force iPhone to Switch to USB-C

Last edited:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
For better or worse the EU has been working to make this happen, will make a bunch of e-waste chords / chargers. On the other hand, with iPad already shifted over the iPhone 15 has been the rumored switchover to USB-C for a long time now, EU regulation or not.

Saw this the other day, have an Android (work) and iPhone (daily driver) and plugged in to their respective chargers the USB-C on the Android, with the edge of the connector just sitting on a pillow shifts the straight angle its plugged into the phone so its at a slight but noticeable angle, did the same with the iPhone and the lightning cable stayed ramrod straight..definitely a better plug in (but also 10 years old).

Last edited:

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
It may sound like a minor factor, but I'm waiting for USB-C before I move up to my next iPhone (from the X). With the profusion of devices I travel with, I'm desperate to pare down the number of cable types I need. Seems like it would have needed to happen eventually given the age of the Lightning tech, but glad that there's now a drop-dead date.

no_idea

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2018
Glad this is happening…now if the US congress could step in and apply the same as well as standardize EV charging stations across the US that would be great.

I’m not a big fan of government intervention but in this area it makes sense to me

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
USB-C is hollow in the middle and is less durable than lightning. Lightning have rounder edges, making it easier to plug in.

I agree that iPad and macs need this for speed, but daily-use products…….not the case anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.