Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Apple will switch to USB-C but only provides USB 2.0 speed just to piss people off.

• Haha
Reactions: 1557750

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Yes because governments always vote on these things so easily.

Example: This is why the US is extremely behind on headlight technology compared to the rest of the world.
The old headlight units are cheaper, so they lobby the US govt to not change the standards. Cheaper to pay off the govt than to switch the lights.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
USB is superior to lightning, no question about it, but this legislation strikes me as very odd. Do they legislate that all lamps us the same type of lightbulb? Is there a fine for incorrect sliced bread thickness? Do all doors have the same handle and mechanism? I understand things like fuel nozzle standards because there is a consumer safety concern, but mandates like this seem strange even if technically advantageous.

Reactions: Boyyai

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
as much as I hate regulators getting involved in tech - Apple could have moved iPhone to USB-C some time ago, so now please no complaining
Everyone keeps focusing on the iPhone, but there are so many things out there still using micro UBS, which a much bigger deal

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
They can, eh, vote, for a new standard?
If you study how these standard bodies work, you'll see that the process is often slow and bureaucratic, filled with politics, and it's very hard to estimate what the final result will be.

If you don't know when a new standard will be ready or what will it be, how do you design products that often have 1.5-2 year production life cycles to make use of them?

Reactions: FTEU and strongy

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I only have one question. What will Apple do? Will they make the next phone USB-C as “required “. Or will they do it “the Apple way”. It’s been rumored for some time that Apple wants to remove all contacts to the phone. Will they still do that? Will they in effect tell the EC to F off? It’s going to be interesting to say the least.

Reactions: S8ER01Z

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
Uhh no. That means I will be leaving the Apple ecosystem. Apple does not care about the user experience anymore if it did they would not release buggy software.
I’m sure Apple will almost miss your business.

Please come back and let us all know the flawless company you find that puts out software with no bugs. We may all jump ship.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

Macropanda

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Legislation is not the way to solve these problems in my view. In 10 years phones will still have to have this old connector because they never got around to updating the law.
How would that be any different to what we have now? We already have a 10 year old port. Worst case scenario… At least in 10 years we will have a 15 year old port instead of a 20 year old one.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
What happens when there's a better connector invented? Will the europeans be stuck in the stone age due to this legislation?

Nothing more than probably an update to the legislation.
This is the reason why the policy doesn't address wireless charging asit has not yet been harmonised across devices unlike USB-C that seems to be the go to for many devices.

Do you have a better alternative to a first effort in harmonising this mess of e-waste for absurd corporate profit?

Legislation is not the way to solve these problems in my view. In 10 years phones will still have to have this old connector because they never got around to updating the law.

So what is your solution in your view?

• Haha

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
The fun thing about these kinds of rules is you won’t actually see the innovation they kill, because ‘this is illegal unless you submit it to an unpredictable multi-year bureaucratic approval process’ means projects will be abandoned at birth.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
The practical implication of these rules in our household are that I will need to buy a lot more USB-C cables for the home, car, and holiday house.

A win for the environment? Hardly.

This is also a major setback for innovation, of which the EU seems to know preciously little.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
im All for usb-c. Tired of carrying one extra cable just for iPhone. Yes, not much weight but clutter is a clutter.
Next PC I want to upgrade would have to also be USB-C PD charging as well to remove the need for barrel jackets.

and to anyone who believes this move will stifle the innovation, i‘d like to introduce you guys to 1970s till 1990s when every major computer company built computers that were incompatible with everyone else’s, and even within the same company, products were incompatible between generations. Now THAT is innovation.

Do you guys genuinely want Apple to release new products every year that is incompatible with previous generation products, including charging cables, for the sake of “innovation”?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
What happens when there's a better connector invented? Will the europeans be stuck in the stone age due to this legislation?
That's already included in the legislation, that newer standards can be easily incorporated.

Of course.

The amount of extreme governmental hate is strong in this thread, especially specifically targeting the EU. There must be a lot of americans in it I assume.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
USB is superior to lightning, no question about it, but this legislation strikes me as very odd. Do they legislate that all lamps us the same type of lightbulb? Is there a fine for incorrect sliced bread thickness? Do all doors have the same handle and mechanism? I understand things like fuel nozzle standards because there is a consumer safety concern, but mandates like this seem strange even if technically advantageous.

GOV takes notice when single companies are dominating a space and pushing proprietary things for self-serving profit motivations. See many stories of monopoly or nearing monopoly entities flexing their dominance for self-serving motivations and GOV stepping in to deal with them (because no one else had enough power to do so). In this way, GOV is last resort.

You don't see this with lamp makers, car makers, bread makers, etc because there is robust competition in most manufacturing with no one lamp maker heavily dominating the space. Let a lamp maker come to dominate the space with a proprietary lamp socket that requires consumers to either pay up MORE for bulbs only from that entity or for other light bulb makers to pay a license fee to use the socket and GOV will likely have to step in to standardize light sockets too.

Basically, if growing, dominating companies don't get too greedy & self serving, GOV stays out of their hair. When companies start looking like they might be able to soon own the bulk of a market and are making moves that exploit that dominance, GOV often moves to take action to re-level a playing field in matters like this.

If you look back at history, you see this over and over. Generally consumers benefit when GOV pinches off the corporate exploitation of consumers through proprietary things that benefit a single entity.

"We" Apple people will gripe about this only until Apple either complies or goes wireless. We don't gripe that there is no Lightning in the other products where Apple is already USB-C. We don't call Apple out as wrong for voluntarily embracing USB-C in those other products (no GOV mandate required). It's only in this ONE product line where Apple still clings to Lightning that we "love" Lightning. As soon as Apple turns this page, we'll see Lightning like we see the 30-pin... or firewire 800, etc.

Until then, what Apple has for sale right now is absolutely right... and everything else is wrong. When Apple changes that, "we" change right with them... as if we never felt so passionately about the old option at all.

Last edited:
  • Love

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Finally. Imagine having to buy a dongle to connect to your own computers while Android phones can connect to Macs without a dongle.

mango316

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Apple will switch to USB-C but only provides USB 2.0 speed just to piss people off.
That’s why I’m super curious to see the review of the new iPad Pro 12.9 6th Gen for someone to test their USB C port data transfer speed. Last year 5th Gen barely got like 500-600 MB/s which is RIDICULOUS SLOW for whatever they want call Thunderbol/USB 4 port!!!

Reactions: Hurda

MVMNT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Apple have been roadmapping and testing this through all the iPads.

I'd skip this years iPhone unless you're on the upgrade programme or desperate now.

• Haha
Reactions: 1557750
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.