Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
To put USB-C down in this thread, one has to fault Apple for embracing it- instead of Lightning- in the other products. There's no rational way to argue how terrible USB-C is where Apple is not yet using it but it is perfectly fine where Apple IS using it. Apple would have to be wrong with one product or the rest of them. Consistent defenders: choose your words wisely.

Personal opinion: the many benefits of USB-C outweigh clinging to an old, proprietary, slower connector. This ship has sailed... years ago when Apple chose USB-C instead of Lightning in the rest of the lines.

"We" argued how it was "the future" way back then... that Apple had to "force the future" by just going with it so that everyone else can start making USB-C stuff... to rationalize it being the only port on that new MB. Now "the future" is everywhere in Apple's lines except iPhone and we are trying to walk some tightrope where we can put down this terrible move to "force the future" (by GOV) while not calling out Apple for using USB-C in everything else.

If we meant what we wrote to convince each other that USB-C was the future, here's the future being pressed into use. Embrace "our" (and Apple's) victory to bring on "the future." This actually does "force" manufacturers to embrace the future... exactly what we spun (to each other) needed to be done to rationalize Apple using it all those years ago. Rejoice. Mission accomplished with the help of GOV.

Last edited:

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
A USB-C connector doesn’t mean the port is any faster. I have a USB-C device that still operates using USB 2.0.

Also, I’m surprised cars aren’t somehow included in this. I just purchased a new car that still uses USB-A. It would have been nice if it was USB-C.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
USB-C is hollow in the middle and is less durable than lightning. Lightning have rounder edges, making it easier to plug in.

I agree that iPad and macs need this for speed, but daily-use products…….not the case anymore

Have not had any durability problems with any of my USB-C devices.
The work laptop i plug into the docking station almost daily.

And at home i use the same Macbook Air cable and power adapter to also charge the Kindle, Beats Fit Pro, Nintendo Switch and its Pro Controller, Work Laptop and soon the Apple TV Remote.

There might be more that i'm currently forgetting. But the Plug does also not show any durability problems yet.
But will be nice when i can finally also Plug the iPhone in there.

Reactions: kironin

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't know why Apple waited this long. It's been clear that USB-C was considered the successor to Lightning since the iPad Pro dropped it.

Somian

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Next step: EU adopts a universal power plug... in 2055 ?

Britain isn’t part of the EU anymore.

The other plugs are pretty much compatible, except the ground pin.

But who carries a device with a grounded connector when traveling?

I recently traveled from Germany to the Czech Republic and my german travel plugs worked just fine.

This doesn’t mean that this isn’t an issue, just a smaller one.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
What happens when there's a better connector invented? Will the europeans be stuck in the stone age due to this legislation?
Given that usb-c can now support upto 240W of power delivery, and with thunderbolt 5 and usb4v2 coming with support of up to 80 Gbps of data bi-directionally, or 120 Gbps up/40 Gbps down, usb-c is likely going to stick around for a long time. Usb-c is turning out to be lightning on steroids. All they need to fix is the confusing labeling.

Last edited:

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Good that it's happening, very bad that the EU has legislation about this. This is immensely stupid, completely unaccountable state bureaucracy in action, it will for sure stifle innovation once the whole planet needs EU-approved connectors.

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
“Force iPhone”??? Are they gonna put an iPhone on the stand or something? I thought Apple would be the ones “forced” to add usb-c to their devices.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Lightning was excellent but usb-c now has power delivery support of up to 240W, and will soon support 80 Gbps of bi-directional data, or a hybrid 120 Gbps/40Gbps when paired with a compatible high resolution monitor.

Usb-c and usb4 are paramount innovations, are open for all to use and peruse the standard, and I am glad that lightning is going to come to an end. It was a good run. But now it’s time to unleash the power of usb-c. All of my devices except the iPhone use usb-c. Mac, iPad, etc. it’s time to move on.

Last edited:

Mojohanna32

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
What happens when there's a better connector invented? Will the europeans be stuck in the stone age due to this legislation?
was wondering the same thing. Does this allow for innovation in some way or are we stuck with USB-C format forever?

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
They’ll make sure EU isn’t stuck in any legislation. We can’t have EU not getting their way. Good golly no.

👊🙄👍

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
This should have happened years ago for many reasons but the fact that it had to be legislated into place should be a red flag for anyone who thinks Apple won’t also fold like a broken picnic table when the EU really gets its claws into brute forcing backdoors into consumer grade communications encryption. And yes, they do want to do this, so be careful what you wish for. The EU is no one’s friend.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
was wondering the same thing. Does this allow for innovation in some way or are we stuck with USB-C format forever?

When USB-C deadends as a connector and something is obviously better (as is the case with Lightning here), a consortium of companies (not just one big dog) pushing for the change will make that change happen with GOV. See Edge to 4G to LTE to 5G which required fairly significant- and GLOBAL- hurdles to be leaped (even with countries and political regimes that HATE each other) to make it possible to move on to each standard.

USB-C will probably get its 10 or 15 (more) years now and then the USB-H or J (quantum? power over optical? matter:anti-matter micro-chamber?) connector will probably rise and take over... or perhaps all wireless will finally deliver in all (superior) ways.

I do not see this as a problem at all. GOV changes when change is needed. Corps are usually FASTER than GOV but here's an example when what should be very agile Apple is still clinging to Lightning in this ONE product vs. embracing a "the future" standard that they led off with in that one-port MB many years ago. Had Apple finished what they started by going USB-C in iPhone (too) some years ago, this legislation probably wouldn't have arisen at all. The copycat competitors would have followed Apple's lead and the whole market would already be on the USB-C "everything" train: no need for GOV mandates to press this issue.

Last edited:

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
Any new connector would likely have to be approved by the USB-IF anyway so this really isnt much of a concern.
And the tech can still get much better while still being USB-C (as it has been doing). Can’t really get smaller than USB-C at this point anyway so any major breakthroughs will all be wireless and MagSafe. I’ve actually been using MagSafe more than actual wires these days with my iPhone.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I can't wait to see if Apple truly does go full wireless, or switch to USB-C.

Won't impact me for a while, as I plan to stick to my 13 mini for the foreseeable future. Plus, I still love my Lightning Dock too much to switch from it.

Reactions: 1557750
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.