Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
OK, don't engage with the argument then. It's fine.

Why engage in a flawed argument. You’re stating it’s overreach when you clearly don’t understand what the EU is about. There’s no argument to be had, I voted for Brexit because I didn’t like it and didn’t want my country to be a part of it. But it is what it is.

Reactions: RolandGo and ericwn

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Why engage in a flawed argument. You’re stating it’s overreach when you clearly don’t understand what the EU is about. There’s no argument to be had, I voted for Brexit because I didn’t like it and didn’t want my country to be a part of it. But it is what it is.

OK if that's how you want to play it, just remember that fooling yourself doesn't mean you're fooling anyone else reading this.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
You do know the connector shape has nothing to do with data transfer speeds? Apple could introduce a USBC iPhone with the same transfer speeds as the current lightning iPhone. Likewise, Apple could release a lightning iPhone with USB3 speeds, if they so chose.

If it’s more speed that you want you need to ask Apple to upgrade the iPhone to USB3. Asking them to change the connector shape won’t necessarily achieve what you want.
I’m not sure that Apple haven’t reached the end of the line with lightning and speeds. The more limited number of pins (8) is probably holding it back compared to usb-c (24).

Usb-C looks to be using 8 of its 24 just to get to its faster speeds.

I’m sure if Apple could have pushed Lightning further, we’d have seen it on their computers too. I also think it’s curious we’re seeing them use usb-c more on the tablet devices that are now as powerful or almost as powerful as the macs running the M1 processors.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Fooling myself?
I understand governments are free to make decisions on what goes on in their areas on control. You don’t see to understand that.

No no, when I've responded to all your points, you don't get to ignore all my arguments and then keep going. I'm happy to leave our little discussion as is for others to read.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
No no, when I've responded to all your points, you don't get to ignore all my arguments and then keep going. I'm happy to leave our little discussion as is for others to read.

Your response is that it’s overreach which is just wrong. They’re not forcing apple to change anything outside the EU. But you keep making the point.
You’re acting like you have some kind of gotcha and I don’t know why.

Reactions: RolandGo and ericwn

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
From the press release: "The new rules would not apply to products placed on the market before the date of application."
I stand corrected. But I still think we’ll see usb-c iPhones in 23.

Apple keeps a chassis around for 3 years now and so we are due a new one next year.

It wouldn’t make much sense to introduce a new chassis next year with lightening and then convert it to usb-c in 24.

Nor keep a confusing SKU of some models have lightening and a e SIM tray, some with usb-c and a sim tray, some with … you get the idea.

Presumably 2023’s iPhones will also see them lose the esim globally (with the ‘rest of the world’ iPhone 14 hanging around for markets / carriers that can’t won’t make that transition).

So what I’m saying is that it makes sense for Apple to design the 2023 ‘next 3 years’ internals are designed around the assumption that they’ll have usb-c and no sim tray.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Nor keep a confusing SKU of some models have lightening and a e SIM tray, some with usb-c and a sim tray, some with … you get the idea.

I don’t see that as a barrier. Already they have dual-SIM, single-SIM, and eSIM-only models each sold in different markets. All in several colors and several storage capacities.

Adding another EU-specific model wouldn’t seem to be beyond their abilities if they should wish to do so for whatever reason.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
You do know the connector shape has nothing to do with data transfer speeds? Apple could introduce a USBC iPhone with the same transfer speeds as the current lightning iPhone. Likewise, Apple could release a lightning iPhone with USB3 speeds, if they so chose.

If it’s more speed that you want you need to ask Apple to upgrade the iPhone to USB3. Asking them to change the connector shape won’t necessarily achieve what you want.

I know the shape has nothing to do. That’s why I said even if they want to keep lightning they just need to improve its data transfer speed. It’s 10 years old, it does need a speed upgrade even if they don’t want to physically modify the connector shape.

Last edited:

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I don’t see that as a barrier. Already they have dual-SIM, single-SIM, and eSIM-only models each sold in different markets. All in several colors and several storage capacities.

Adding another EU-specific model wouldn’t seem to be beyond their abilities if they should wish to do so for whatever reason.

They don’t have single SIM iphones anymore, at least not in Apple’s current line up. All current gen iphones are dual SIM: they’re Dual e-SIM in the US, dual physical SIM in China and eSIM + physical SIM in the rest of the world, but none are single SIM anymore.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
They don’t have single SIM iphones anymore, at least not in Apple’s current line up. All current gen iphones are dual SIM: they’re Dual e-SIM in the US, dual physical SIM in China and eSIM + physical SIM in the rest of the world, but nobe are single SIM anymore.

I am speaking only of physical SIM capability, as that defines different construction for each of the three model variants.

However many eSIMs each can manage is a function of software and chipset, not requiring differentiated manufacturing, and thus irrelevant to my point that Apple could certainly offer an EU only USBC model if they should choose to do so.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
It doesn't matter how long the EU has waited, the question is should they have the power to force this change. I'm all for the iPhone adopting USB-C, but ultimately it's not worth power overreach to achieve it.

I'm not trying to single you out, but too many people are willing to accept this because the change being enforced is one they personally like.
They have the power to force this change in the EU. Apple and every other company can have an EU and non-EU version of a product if they want. They may not want to but that's on that company, not the EU. Just like the US has the right for require companies sell products that meet certain requirements here.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
They have the power to force this change in the EU. Apple and every other company can have an EU and non-EU version of a product if they want. They may not want to but that's on that company, not the EU. Just like the US has the right for require companies sell products that meet certain requirements here.
The question I asked was "should they have the power?", not "do they have the power?".

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017

Well, we’ll see. I have a feeling that they’ll make the switch across the board. We’re seeing USB-C in most of the iPads now and all of the Mac range.

We already have iPhone pro owners complaining about the data transfer speed of lightening re getting their 48MP photos off their devices, so this feels overdue when photo file sizes are only going to get bigger in the near future.

I expect this is now more about Apple being reluctant to give up the money it makes from the lightening licensing program.

Perhaps we’ll see renewed efforts around MagSafe, which doesn’t really seem to have taken the world by storm.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
As opposed to keeping people forced to continue an outdated connector’s lifespan

The Lightning connector is only two years older than USB-C. Is USB-C going to be “outdated” in two years’ time, too? The EU legislators better get cracking on the next mandate then…

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Are there any large waste companies in the EU that’s been looking for a boost in recycling/burying those years of lightning cables? Just asking questions…

What about a decade worth of Lightning accessories (docks, stands, microphones, headphones, etc.)? And what about the cost of having to replace them all? All in the name of one common charger* for all devices.

Oh wait, we already have that (if we let the old USB-A chargers die)!

* or set of chargers, to cover all possible USB-PD profiles ;)

Last edited:

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Now, instead of just being able to by one, single cable that charges all the products, the 10 consumers have to each buy at least 1 USB-C cable and 1 Lightning cable.

No, iPhones come with Lightning-to-USB-A (olden days) or Lightning-to-USB-C (nowadays) cables. You won’t have to buy them unless you want spares. In reality people will want to have more than one charger and cable anyway, for redundancy and convenience (charging multiple devices simultaneously and independently).

Last edited:

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
In addition you can get charging cables probably 75% cheaper from elsewhere rather than one offered from Apple.

Durability wise lightning is probably sturdier but the other benefits outweighs this. Also if you look after your stuff properly it will last a long time. I’ve never broken a single cable in my life. Just take more care with your stuff.

Then why do you care that 3rd party cables are 75% cheaper? You never have to buy a Lightning charging cable, they’re always included with the phone.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Can somebody list me the advantages of lightning that make it a better option than usb-c? Technologically that is. What can lightning do that usb-c can’t?

Work with Lightning accessories.

I don’t see already owning lightning cables as being an advantage over usb-c in this discussion.

What about owning Lightning accessories? A switch to USB-C would require users to replace those (cost!) and to most, for no benefit in return.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
You all are wrong. Apple was ALREADY moving toward USB-C, even outside of Thunderbolt. The evidence is clear:

• Macs have Thunderbolt. You don't need to use a Thunderbolt cable for them to take a charge through a Thunderbolt port; you can use a USB-C cable. Sure, the Mag-Safe cable and port will probably be more efficient, but hey; it's there already with USB-C.
  • My M1 iPad has a USB-C charging connector and it came with a cable that works with it. As far as I know that cable is not a Thunderbolt cable; it's USB-C.
  • Apple's newest AC-Adapters have a USB-C female connector. And I think they have a dual charger now too.
    • ...and their newest cables all have a USB-C male connector for the adapter end, as well as...
    • ...either a male Lightning connector (for the iPhone and older versions of iPad) or...
    • ...the Mag-Safe charger (for Mac M1), or...
    • ...it's another male USB-C connector for (yes) charging your Mac.
So you see, Apple was already moving toward USB-C. Maybe not as fast at you'd like, but whatever. Every one of you cheering on this big-government action should be ashamed. Really, "forcing" Apple to do something out of government edict? That's just petty.

sahajesh

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2004
Sheffield
There is no need for that.

I just want to avoid throwing away a bunch of perfectly good cables.

True but we did the same when the 30-pin cable went away.

These things happen whether we like it or not.

I’d much rather have a single connector/port for Apple devices though. In the grand scheme, chucking away a few good cables isn’t a massive thing and in all likelihood, you or I will have family members who don’t swap phones like we do and will gratefully take old cables.

Reactions: dave070 and Azzin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.