Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tednol

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Terrible news. This will stifle innovation and competition. It will also increase costs for everyone because USB-C is significantly more expensive than micro-USB or USB A for cheap devices.

Once again, EU government is stepping into things that they shouldn't have. Thanks to them, I've had to click on cookie prompts at least 10,000 times already and I honestly could careless if websites used cookies.
I think the good outweighs the bad. There isn't much innovation or competition when it comes to charging. Apple introduced Lightning in 2012 and have basically done nothing with it (still slow AF).

MayaUser

Suspended
Nov 22, 2021
What if Apple come up with even better port than usbC like they did when they came with lightning while the standard was microusb ?!
Jesus Christ these laws begin to put convenience instead of technology improvements
Yes, you can force Apple to ditch the old lightning...but not force it for just usbC. Clear at the top of the EU are not people who understand how tech can move very fast and the laws must adapt to technology and not vice versa

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Great news. Except the 15s will now be lightning for sure. Apple will wait until the 16. September 2024.

Could easily see Apple shipping a USBc model only in the EU too. Just to anger us.

Also, what happens when the port needs to change. Does the EU regulation cause another 8 year delay?

• Disagree
  • Sad
Reactions: ric22 and jezbd1997

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
What if Apple come up with even better port than usbC like they did when they came with lightning while the standard was microusb ?!
Jesus Christ these laws begin to put convenience instead of technology improvements

They started to look for ways to improve Lightning around 2014.
And USB-C is what came out, they largely contributed to it.
So embrace USB-C as the logical Lightning evolution.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Yes, you can force Apple to ditch the old lightning...but not force it for just usbC. Clear at the top of the EU are not people who understand how tech can move very fast and the laws must adapt to technology and not vice versa
While overdue, when does USB-D come about? 2025? Remember, C wasn’t even a thought when A and B were the standard and we went through the micro and mini heads. That’s the problem with regulating a standard. Technology doesn’t sit still on we would still have 8 track players in our cars.
Correct. Once again, EU politicians show how short-sighted they are and how they lack any understanding of tech.

Do you accept this cookie? :rolleyes:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Suits me, 16 or even 17 next for me. Short of the incredibly unlikely chance of a revolutionary feature in the meantime, time to crack a beer and toast my 13PM, my last lightning iPhone.

Note: not interested in folding phones until they reach deep maturity.

Reactions: james2538

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if only the EU market iPhone gets USB-C. A bit like how it's only US market iPhones which are eSIM
Hopefully EU citizens will get charged even more for their USB-C version.

EU citizens love to complain to Apple about how goods are more expensive for them. Well guess what? You voted these politicians in who made the cost of goods higher through taxes and regulations. Don't complain to Apple. Complain to your politicians.

MayaUser

Suspended
Nov 22, 2021
Wouldn't surprise me if only the EU market iPhone gets USB-C. A bit like how it's only US market iPhones which are eSIM
Yea, EU will get iphones with usbC or no ports at all...and US will get the new shiny microUSBC with faster and even more reliable data transfers.....people who makes these laws in EU, are old farrts i think that they cannot even make an complete and forward thinking law

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
USB C is flimsier than lightening. Remember that most people are not pro photographers or YouTubers downloading hundreds of gigs regularly. The big issue is reliability. I think you have to replace the whole Samsung phone if the USB C port gets damaged with that little plasticky thing sitting in the middle of the port? Probably will be the same for iPhones.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
The lightning port is essentially the same size as a USB-C port so it’s not as issue of saving space or whatever in the internal design. Apple are probably having issue with customers being able to buy USB-C chargers and accessories for significantly cheaper than they offer.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
They will have to switch next year with iPhone 15 models or they will end up in a situation where they can only sell the iPhone 16 line in 2024 in the EU (not that I wouldn’t welcome some simplification/ rationalisation of SKUs tho…).

Would be interesting to see if this prompts a refreshed SE model (in ‘mini’ design???) so they have a low cost device for sale. Would really welcome an iPhone 15 mini with USB-C with iPhone 14 chip myself :)

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020

The European Parliament today voted overwhelmingly in favor of enforcing USB-C as a common charging port across a wide range of consumer electronic devices, including the iPhone and AirPods, by the end of 2024.
[...]
The proposal, known as a directive, forces all consumer electronics manufacturers who sell their products in Europe to ensure that a wide range of devices feature a USB-C port. [...]

Article Link: EU Passes Law to Switch iPhone to USB-C by End of 2024
Is it accurate to call a directive a proposal? It's a type of legislation; not a suggestion. From the EU's own site about directives: "A "directive" is a legislative act that sets out a goal that all EU countries must achieve. However, it is up to the individual countries to devise their own laws on how to reach these goals."*

Anyhow, I'm a bit surprised that laptops have until 2026 to switch to USB-C charging port. Why such a long time lag?

*Source: https://european-union.europa.eu/institutions-law-budget/law/types-legislation_en

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Under the new rules, consumers will no longer need a different charger every time they purchase a new device, as they will be able to use one single charger for a whole range of small and medium-sized portable electronic devices.

Bad wording in their statement. This won't solve a certain set of problems: namely, an 18W USB-C charger won't really help you charge a laptop and a 60W-rated cable won't help you charge something that draws 5 amps (and worse, could become a fire hazard)...

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
I'd be happy with this change as the only devices I now have that use lighting connectors are my iPhone and AirPods. It should also speed up data transfer, which would be especially useful if you use your iPhone for video or photography (prores and raw files can be huge). I wouldn't be surprised though if Apple go entirely portless, so you'd have to charge using wireless or MagSafe with data transfer only by wifi. Also I do remember some rumours from about a year or so ago about Apple using MagSafe for more than just charging, so that might suggest a portless iPhone too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.