Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
What if Apple come up with even better port than usbC like they did when they came with lightning while the standard was microusb ?!
Jesus Christ these laws begin to put convenience instead of technology improvements
Yes, you can force Apple to ditch the old lightning...but not force it for just usbC. Clear at the top of the EU are not people who understand how tech can move very fast and the laws must adapt to technology and not vice versa
Theoretically a point but given Apple’s stagnation in that space I’m not convinced they had any innovation in the pocket here. And that’s a high bar to beat the convenience factor of having one common cable for charging electronics.

Reactions: james2538 and xyz01

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I go car camping occasionally and I take Apple Watch, iPhone, latest iPad mini and latest Beats Studio 3 headphones.
All these items are the latest products of their type. I need a different cable for each.

You would still need 4 cables anyway, unless you plan to take only one USB-C cable and charge all your items, one at a time !!

I would prefer to see Apple using one charging cable for all it's products. This I think is better then having different charging solution from Apple for their own products.

But forcing the entire industry to adopt only one charging cable is not ideal either, at least in my opinion.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Bad wording in their statement. This won't solve a certain set of problems: namely, an 18W USB-C charger won't really help you charge a laptop and a 60W-rated cable won't help you charge something that draws 5 amps (and worse, could become a fire hazard)...
was about to say the same, they haven’t said what they actually mean. If they really want to cut down on e-waste, they should mandate a standard for easily differentiating usb-c cables.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I’m fine with whatever port they include, I bet I dont plug my phone in more than once or twice a year if that. It’s all magsafe charging. In the car, in the house, in the office. Same with AirPods, they are charged wirelessly. I realize you can charge faster with a cable but I dont need to. iPads yes, they dont have wireless yet but phone, no.

I do have more USB-C devices now than Lightning so I support the change if they make it but suspect they will aim for no port at all instead of a different connector.

Reactions: Azzin

MayaUser

Suspended
Nov 22, 2021
I actually think Apple will react by removing the port altogether and focus improving wireless charging. Does the EU mandate state it has to have a charging port?
No, only IF it has a port or ports , if it has more than one, one of it must be usbC
Apple can go without any port

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
No one seems to have noticed this includes laptops too, from 2026! So will Apple have to ditch the MagSafe it just brought back?

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Make it white, slap an MFi on there and make the A end C….problem solved
oh….and talk about how revolutionary, innovative, courageous, slimmest and the best ever it is.
83F969D5-99EE-4EFF-A38E-ACF2E996B48E.jpeg

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Terrible news. This will stifle innovation and competition. For example, it will limit the desire to create connectors that are more efficient, faster, cheaper, easier to use than USB-C.

It will also increase costs for everyone because USB-C is significantly more expensive to implement than micro-USB or USB-A for cheap devices.

In addition, now we have to throw away countless e-waste from lightning cables, lightning chargers, and lightning accessories.

Once again, EU government is stepping into things that they shouldn't have. Thanks to them, I've had to click on cookie prompts at least 10,000 times already and I honestly could careless if websites used cookies.

I'm not against Apple using USB-C on all your devices. They're slowly getting there regardless. I'm against this kind of regulation because it will have unintended consequences.
I am all for cheaper devices getting off usb a and micro usb. They’re horrible and annoying that they send me a stupid cable with their cheap item. Send me the item with a C connector and save the money on the e waste cable.

And you don’t have to throw out all your cables. They’re not going to miraculously stop working the moment the law is passed. You will gradually migrate as you update devices as you would have done anyway when apple converted.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Knowing Apple, they’ll probably come up with some ridiculously stubborn workaround involving dongles.
The act is known as "Anti Apple Act", made for a single purpose: Ensure that Apple plays nice with the other Kids.
Apple has to implement a USB port, there is no workaround, no bypass, nothing.

Additionally Apple uses USB-C on many other devices like Macs and iPods. It makes no sense to introduce incompatibilities, since then Apples own devices will be no longer share the same standard.

I'm happy that the law passed. On the other hand im sad that Apple is that kind of stubborn. All the other companies agreed to the USB-C standard and use it - without force.

• Disagree
Reactions: brunnenguk and snek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.