Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Two different plugs is two different plugs.

I can carry one 65-140W Anker USB charger and charge a laptop or a phone. But I have to have two separate cables to charge my iPhone.

If both accepted USB C , one cable would work. One that was rated for charging at the higher rate of course.
I carry multiple cables. What do you do if your cable shorts or worse?

Reactions: dave070

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
No, they don't. That's the whole point that you said you understood. Apple could have USB2 speeds with a USB-C connector or USB3 speeds with lightning. Changing connectors doesn't make the port faster.

You just moved the goalposts here. You originally said "one plug for charging a phone and another for data is annoying." Now you've switched to one for laptop and one for phone.

But this argument is certainly true. This will be an advantage of the EU rule. Unless you accidentally pick up the wrong cable and your laptop didn't charge. That would be a disadvantage.

Here is how I see it:

Advantages of new directive:
No more older USB connections!!! (This is where the EU gets it right!)
Single charging solution across more devices
Phones could be shipped without cable

Disadvantages of new directive:
Lightning is a better connector (Click when inserted; No pins that can be bent in female port)
Short term waste from transition
Discourages investment in next gen solution
USB-C cables have a variety of functionality with no standard for labeling
Phones could be shipped without cable

USB-C came out two years after lightning and hasn't been improved either.
USB 4 isn't faster than USB 3? Apple could have increased the speed of Lightning (and did for one device) but hasn't done it. So Lightning means slow USB 2 speeds. USB C (and the protocols supported) varies wildly but has a much broader use from phones to laptops.

Again for the 10th time, I realize Apple could have run whatever protocol they wanted across their own physical plug. For all practical purposes, they stuck with USB 2. Again, I know changing the plug type doesn't make it faster.

I didn't switch anything. I bought a 100W Anker charger, I can charge a laptop, an iPad, and in the future, a USB C iPhone all with one cable. This charger has 3 ports so I can just use the Lightning cable but still.

The cable situation of USB needs to be fixed. They tried to make compliance cheap. A cable should just work or at least be labeled in such a way that it's clear what the max rate is.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
For travel, I have a multi port charger. But sometimes, you might have a one port charger in your coat. Only having one plug type has advantages.

I like Lightning and had no major problems with it. But Apple never bothered to really improve it. If it were on par with the just announced USB PD Revision 3.1 then maybe there would be a case to continue to let the market fight it out. I think Apple decided to let it go years ago to maximize profits before they moved onto something else (likely wireless for phones and it appears USB C for power and data on larger devices).

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
USB 4 isn't faster than USB 3?
Of course it is! :)

Apple could have increased the speed of Lightning (and did for one device) but hasn't done it. So Lightning means slow USB 2 speeds. USB C (and the protocols supported) varies wildly but has a much broader use from phones to laptops.
Correct!

Again for the 10th time, I realize Apple could have run whatever protocol they wanted across their own physical plug. For all practical purposes, they stuck with USB 2. Again, I know changing the plug type doesn't make it faster.
Great! So let's stop making the argument that USB-C is better because it is faster, as well as the related "Apple never bothered to improve lightning, so it needs to be replaced."

The cable situation of USB needs to be fixed. They tried to make compliance cheap. A cable should just work or at least be labeled in such a way that it's clear what the max rate is.
Agreed, but I think the problems are fundamental. They are trying to jam too many protocols into a connector that can't support them all at the same time, so they have to fragment the standard to the point that its not a single standard. The typical result of "design by committee".

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
Great! So let's stop making the argument that USB-C is better because it is faster, as well as the related "Apple never bothered to improve lightning, so it needs to be replaced."

Agreed, but I think the problems are fundamental. They are trying to jam too many protocols into a connector that can't support them all at the same time, so they have to fragment the standard to the point that its not a single standard. The typical result of "design by committee".
USB C is better because it suppots faster protocols. Lightning doesn't by Apple's choice it seems.

The general public is not tech savvy. They know this plugs into this and doesn't plug into that.

It appears they are learning. Trying to simplify the message.
'

Apple could stick with Lightning for another 20 years if they wanted to. Or improve it but they haven't. So to the general public, yes USB C is 'better'. One plug is capable of doing a lot more.

You understand the difference between USB 3, USB 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2, USB 3.2 gen 1 and gen 2, USB 4 with or without Thunderbolt support.....etc. 99% of the public just wants to plug it in.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Or what do you do when you want to charge multiple devices at one time?

USB C is better because it suppots faster protocols. Lightning doesn't by Apple's choice it seems.

The general public is not tech savvy. They know this plugs into this and doesn't plug into that.

Just how many of these members of the general public do you think ever use a wire to transfer data from their phones?

When's the last time you did, and why did you do so rather than wifi / cloud?

Last edited by a moderator:

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
Just how many of these members of the general public do you think ever use a wire to transfer data from their phones?

When's the last time you did, and why did you do so rather than wifi / cloud?
Not often but it's not about data transfer for the phones. It's more about having the same plug as many other devices have or will have. Even Apple requires you to have two different cables if you have an iPhone and iPad now.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Not often but it's not about data transfer for the phones. It's more about having the same plug as many other devices have or will have. Even Apple requires you to have two different cables if you have an iPhone and iPad now.

Yet so many, including yourself, if I remember correctly, have mentioned data transfer speeds as the issue you seek to have addressed. The goal posts seem to be dancing around the field.

As for cables, I already linked you a solution. Or if USBC was that important you’d buy a USBC equipped phone. Oh, and iPad remains Lightning. :D

Again, as I said it’s more about regulators dictating technology choices rather than allowing market forces to operate freely. The most probable long term outcome is the stifling of innovation since the regulation quashes any incentive for a company to do the R&D to create something new an unforeseen.

I imagine Apple would’ve moved to USBC in time by themselves. Now the EU will be stuck there, for all practical purposes, and likely the rest of the world. Sure some new version may eventually come out, after all the companies in USB-IF agree and then after another few years of legislation. All many years later than without a regulated charge connector type.

Edit - imagine if the EU had decided on this a few years ago when mini-B was a thin…. 🤮

A5CB263C-339A-45EC-803D-020E5ADAA4B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: dotnet

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Today, because I was transferring GB of AAC/ALAC files and it's still the quickest way.

Are you sure? What’s your WiFi like?

I just used the Files app to copy a 1GB file from my NAS to my iPhone, it took about 30 seconds. This transfer rate (~30MB/s) is far below the effective bandwidth of my home WiFi network (>100MB/s), so the NAS is likely the limiting factor. I can’t see how a cable could have improved this.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
Yet so many, including yourself, if I remember correctly, have mentioned data transfer speeds as the issue you seek to have addressed. The goal posts seem to be dancing around the field.

As for cables, I already linked you a solution. Or if USBC was that important you’d buy a USBC equipped phone. Oh, and iPad remains Lightning. :D

Again, as I said it’s more about regulators dictating technology choices rather than allowing market forces to operate freely. The most probable long term outcome is the stifling of innovation since the regulation quashes any incentive for a company to do the R&D to create something new an unforeseen.

I imagine Apple would’ve moved to USBC in time by themselves. Now the EU will be stuck there, for all practical purposes, and likely the rest of the world. Sure some new version may eventually come out, after all the companies in USB-IF agree and then after another few years of legislation. All many years later than without a regulated charge connector type.

Edit - imagine if the EU had decided on this a few years ago when mini-B was a thin…. 🤮

View attachment 2096825
My iPad is USB C.

Data transfer speed is still important. Apple can’t even manage USB 3 speeds for some reason. But most care about charging speeds.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada

View attachment 2096825
You assume the new USB standard will use a different connector. That's not a given. The -C connector has enough connectors to last a while.

Reactions: dave070

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada

I said while data transfer speeds aren't critical, being stuck at 480mbps speeds in 2022 and beyond is kind of ludicrous at this point especially when up to 40Gbps is possible now and 80 in the future. If you can charge at 12x the rate on devices and transfer data at multiple times faster over a connector roughly the same size, why stick with Lightning?

And list of iPads that use USB C connector

I understand you're against regulations. I assume you know everything from the octane in gasoline to how much ethanol is blended to the size of the nozzle is all regulated.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Are you sure? What’s your WiFi like?

I just used the Files app to copy a 1GB file from my NAS to my iPhone, it took about 30 seconds. This transfer rate (~30MB/s) is far below the effective bandwidth of my home WiFi network (>100MB/s), so the NAS is likely the limiting factor. I can’t see how a cable could have improved this.
867Mbps on 5GHz, 400Mbps on 2.4GHz.

If I move a file over Wi-Fi from computer to NAS, I get 50 MB/s. If I do it over Ethernet, I get 100MB/s.

I’ve tried syncing my phone before over Wi-Fi, wired is quicker.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
867Mbps on 5GHz, 400Mbps on 2.4GHz.

If I move a file over Wi-Fi from computer to NAS, I get 50 MB/s. If I do it over Ethernet, I get 100MB/s.

I’ve tried syncing my phone before over Wi-Fi, wired is quicker.

Ethernet? We’re talking about transferring to/from an iPhone using Lightning vs using wireless.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
USB C is better because it suppots faster protocols.
No, it doesn't. What lightning supports and what Apple has implemented in lightning ports are two different things. USB4 over lightning would be just as fast as USB4 over USB-C.

Say you had a jet engine and a car engine. You attach the jet to a square and the car to a rectangle. Obviously, the square is faster. Not because it's a square, but because it has a jet engine attached. If you switch engines than, the rectangle is faster. If you attach a jet to both, the speeds are the same. Like the connectors we are discussing, the shape does not determine the speed.

Last edited:

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
No, it doesn't. What lightning supports and what Apple has implemented in lightning ports are two different things. USB4 over lightning would be just as fast as USB4 over USB-C.

Say you had a jet engine and a car engine. You attach the jet to a square and the car to a rectangle. Obviously, the square is faster. Not because it's a square, but because it has a jet engine attached. If you switch engines than, the rectangle is faster. If you attach a jet to both, the speeds are the same. Like the connectors we are discussing, the shape does not determine the speed.
I seriously don't know how to explain this to you. I know the shape of the plug does not determine the speed. I've said this multiple times. It's the protocol supported and the hardware on either end with the cable.

Yes it does. What Apple supports kind of matters because we're talking about Apple products, right? And only Apply implements Lightning connections. Today, how fast can I transfer a file over Lightning....today? Not in theory. And you can get Thunderbolt 4 over Lightning today on an iPhone, iPad, MBP or Mac? How about speeds faster than USB 2?

How fast can I transfer a file using Thunderbolt 4 over USB C? And yes, I know the iPhone doesn't support Thunderbolt 4 but the new MBP and Mac Studio does.

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I seriously don't know how to explain this to you. I know the shape of the plug does not determine the speed. I've said this multiple times. It's the protocol supported and the hardware on either end with the cable.

Yes it does. Today, how fast can I transfer a file over Lightning....today? Not in theory. And you can get Thunderbolt 4 over Lightning today on an iPhone, iPad, MBP or Mac? How about speeds faster than USB 2?

How fast can I transfer a file using Thunderbolt 4 over USB C? And yes, I know the iPhone doesn't support Thunderbolt 4 but the new MBP and Mac Studio does.
That red jet is super fast. Let's paint my bicycle red, and it will be super fast too!

Red jets are faster than blue cars. Let's paint the cars red, so they will be as fast as the jets!

I know the color of the car does not determine the speed, but today, not in theory, the red jets are faster than the blue cars! The color cars are painted kind of matters because we're talking about cars, right?

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My iPad is USB C.

Data transfer speed is still important. Apple can’t even manage USB 3 speeds for some reason. But most care about charging speeds.

Don't confuse "can't" with "chooses not to".

USB3 speed on Lighting has been done. Can't say why they didn't continue it to later devices, but they've shown it to be possible.

Reactions: BaldiMac

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You assume the new USB standard will use a different connector. That's not a given. The -C connector has enough connectors to last a while.
I wasn't talking about USB data transfer standards.

Point was related to connector type standards and barriers to innovate; such as to a smaller connector or perhaps one which doesn't tend to loosen up with use as I've found to be the case with the ones I use.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I said while data transfer speeds aren't critical, being stuck at 480mbps speeds in 2022

Please detail exactly why you think Apple would implement anything faster than USB2 over USBC given that they've proven they can do USB3 over Lightning when they wish, but have chosen not to do so.

If you can charge at 12x the rate on devices and transfer data at multiple times faster over a connector roughly the same size, why stick with Lightning?
100W is not 12 x 20W. Edit - I was later made aware of a new 240W spec, which is great for large batteries but still meaningless for ~16Wh phone batteries due to the likelihood of damage from charging at a rate of over 14x battery capacity - typical recommended rate is 1/2 to 1x battery capacity

Plus your assumption of any substantial increase in charging speeds is both unfounded and also ignores the relationship between charging rates over 1C and LiIon battery longevity.

I understand you're against regulations. I assume you know everything from the octane in gasoline to how much ethanol is blended to the size of the nozzle is all regulated.

You understand incorrectly.

Last edited:

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
Please detail exactly why you think Apple would implement anything faster than USB2 over USBC given that they've proven they can do USB3 over Lightning when they wish, but have chosen not to do so.

Need to work on your math skillz. 100W is not 12 x 20W.

Plus your assumption of any substantial increase in charging speeds is both unfounded and also ignores the relationship between charging rates over 1C and LiIon battery longevity.

You understand incorrectly.
New Power Delivery spec allows 240W.

12x20 is 240 so my math ‘skillz’ are fine.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
New Power Delivery spec allows 240W.

12x20 is 240 so my math ‘skillz’ are fine.

Cool - good to know they've boosted the spec, though it doesn't appear to be widely adopted.

Also functionally meaningless since you're talking a 14C charge rate, several times the rate that most LiIon batteries can tolerate without damage.

Last edited:

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Ethernet? We’re talking about transferring to/from an iPhone using Lightning vs using wireless.
Yes, I’m giving you a bench line of what my kit can do and where the bottleneck is.

The max I get out of Wi-Fi transfers is less than half what my NAS can do - 400Mbps. Which in turn is slower than using a lightning connection to transfer.

So I’ll continue transferring music onto my phone and photos off my phone with a cable. If Apple can give me a 5Gbps usb-c connection, I’ll gratefully take it.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Siri Remote updated with USB C today. Apple knew the writing was on the wall and we’re on the way to a better world for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.