Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KENPHOTO

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
The people against this forget it is optional... simply a win-win for the consumer and especially tech nerds who can do with their device what they like!
It is not a win win for consumers when an app that is essential for you forces you to download their app from a third party app store. You are assuming that apps like facebook, etc would offer an app both in the App Store and some their own third party facebook store, yeah right. They will make you download it from their store and skirt all the Apple privacy rules. That is just one example. same thing with bank apps that don't want to pay apple fees for Apple Pay. They will FORCE you to download their apps from a third party app store.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just letting Apple actually realise they are not the god and above the law, I think it is a major achievement EU has accomplished. Whatever measure they do is still up to debate, but I’m glad they are finally fed up with Apple’s oppressive and inconsistent behaviour and overwhelmingly dominant market influence and decent marketshare. Yes, you can’t be too successful. The bigger you are the stronger force will emerge to drag you down.

The disagree means there’s even more reason to force change on Apple. Good thing.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
If Apple offer sideloading (which for reference they have allowed on the Mac since the 1970’s) it will likely have safeguards in place to stop any of the above happening. This could be having to connect your iDevice to a Mac or PC to enable the process, sandboxing sideloaded apps from the rest of the OS by running them in a self-contained iOS emulator or just burying the option 6 menus deep in the settings app.
Does the EU want Apple to be able to provide security/privacy? Look at the Netherlands fiasco where the Dutch constantly moved the goalposts...first Apple was required to provide alternate payment methods, then they were told multiple binaries was wrong too, then when they supplied a single app version it was still wrong somehow.

Multiply that scenario by 100s of different aspects of the OS and you'll have what the EU plans to do. They're going to object to everything Apple does. Apple will say "this is how it works on macOS" and the EU will say "that's not how we want it to work" etc. Guaranteed.

KENPHOTO

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Just letting Apple actually realise they are not the god and above the law, I think it is a major achievement EU has accomplished. Whatever measure they do is still up to debate, but I’m glad they are finally fed up with Apple’s oppressive and inconsistent behaviour and overwhelmingly dominant market influence and decent marketshare. Yes, you can’t be too successful. The bigger you are the stronger force will emerge to drag you down.
No one, not one single person on this planet has ever been forced to buy an expensive iPhone. People can choose to purchase an Android device if they want things that Apple does not allow or offer. That is users choice, not forcing Apple to become a clone of Android.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
Does the EU want Apple to be able to provide security/privacy? Look at the Netherlands fiasco where the Dutch constantly moved the goalposts...first Apple was required to provide alternate payment methods, then they were told multiple binaries was wrong too, then when they supplied a single app version it was still wrong somehow.

Multiply that scenario by 100s of different aspects of the OS and you'll have what the EU plans to do. They're going to object to everything Apple does. Apple will say "this is how is works on macOS" and the EU will say "that's not how we want it to work" etc. Guaranteed.
Apples argument was that it should still take 30% of external payments. This was the cause for many of the arguments.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
I agree with everything you said about the other two issues. Except that the PC has always limited user-space memory access. On x86 32-bit systems, apps couldn’t access or address more than 2GB of RAM, even if 3-4 was installed. This was lifted with AMD64/x86-64 running in long mode.

That’s not a regulatory or competitive issue. It’s just an architectural limitation.
Neither is 32-bit anymore so the relevance of this comment is hard to see.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Apples argument was that it should still take 30% of external payments. This was the cause for many of the arguments.
No, that isn't what the Dutch were objecting to. First they wanted alternate payment options. Then they suddenly claimed multiple binaries was also somehow anticompetitive. Then they have subsequently objected to a single app.

That's what the EU is going to be doing ad nauseam as well, but it's going to be for many, many, many other aspects of the OS. They're going to object to everything.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
... a broad consensus from European lawmakers to aggressively regulate big American tech companies.
But they aren’t American; they are worldwide. The fact they happen to be based in America is largely semantics at this point. Apple don’t 100% build their devices in America not operate their supply chain 100% in the USA. They have global contracts in loads of different nations.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
It wasn’t. Until last year when Google massively ramped up its privacy and security features on the Play Store.
Perhaps it's better than it used to be, but as long as sideloading or alternative app stores are options, developers will be able to take their apps to less secure venues where they aren't required to adhere to privacy and security requirements.

Apple leverages their App Store controls to force developers to adhere to their privacy requirements, which are still far and away better than Google's. The theoretical argument doesn't even need to be made. The Play store is the perfect real-world example of why forcing Apple to allow alternative app stores and/or sideloading will be just as detrimental as everyone expects.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
... a broad consensus from European lawmakers to aggressively regulate big American tech companies.
This is what gets me. Apple should just keep doing what they're doing, and ignore the fines and these made-up "rules" they want to pass.

What's the EU going to do? Send a goon squad to the US to seize assets? They have no jurisdiction over American companies or property.

IamTimCook

Suspended
Dec 13, 2016
Devs only have, for example access to a limited amount of RAM on iPad OS
Apple limits each app to request up to 12GB which is the majority of the 16GB of RAM total. I’m guessing the other 4GB is for an operational buffer.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
If this passes, Apple should just send an email and notification to every customer in the EU saying something to the effect of, “due to your government’s heavy-handed overreach, they will be blocking Apple from providing safe and secure services, like our App Store. As a result, we can no longer legally offer these services in the EU and will cease operations within 30 days.”

Just the threat of millions of devices losing iMessage, FaceTime, and the App Store framed properly will get the public on their side. I guarantee it’d turn this whole thing around within 48 hours.
They should simply impose Martial Law, invoke the Insurrection Act, and find alternate electors.

That’s what this comment made me think of.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
Perhaps it's better than it used to be, but as long as sideloading or alternative app stores are options, developers will be able to take their apps to less secure venues where they aren't required to adhere to privacy and security requirements.

Apple leverages their App Store controls to force developers to adhere to their privacy requirements, which are still far and away better than Google's. The theoretical argument doesn't even need to be made. The Play store is the perfect real-world example of why forcing Apple to allow alternative app stores and/or sideloading will be just as detrimental as everyone expects.
The first part is true. Most of the apps that are only available via sideloading are either alternate stores like Amazon or Epic or hobbyist apps that do something that breaks Google’s terms.

But there are still billions of Android users that 100% use the play store and suffer no I’ll effects. 95% of Android users still don’t use 3rd party app stores despite ones like Samsung being preloaded onto their phones!

And let’s be fair as users of the forum of a tech blog we are all far to literate to fall for any sideloading shananigans anyway.

Reactions: jakey rolling

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
They should simply impose Martial Law, invoke the Insurrection Act, and find alternate electors.

That’s what this comment made me think of.
I can't imagine why. Nothing about what I suggested above is illegal.

There's nothing wrong with Apple using the tools available to them to inform their customers why they are doing something that the company would not choose to do, that they know their customers will be inconvenienced by.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
While your at it EU, can I have access to all the engine management and infotainment systems for every car manufacturer
  • We have OBD. (Fact).
  • Allows Joe Public to do a huge amount of, (whilst not all), diagnostics with a relatively cheap scanner. (Fact).
  • Schematics aren't that hard to get hold of. (so your mileage may vary but it's far easier to get both electrical and mechanical schematics of cars than Apple gear).
  • Vehicles use a lot of readily available consumables too. (Fact).
  • They also sell special tools to garages and individuals alike. (Fact)
  • Plenty of reputable businesses that will flash your ECU. (Fact).

• Not sure your comparison is as valid as you think. (I suppose this might be the line that earned the downvote??)

Got a couple of dislikes so I reformatted the post in the hope that those who disliked will comment further on their reason for it.

Last edited:

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Neither is 32-bit anymore so the relevance of this comment is hard to see.
The relevance is that the RAM limit was an architectural, technical limitation. Asking lawmakers to "regulate away" a technical limitation, as the poster I replied to was doing, is a futile ill-informed effort.

Reactions: NetMage

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
China did well when Google walked out. They developed local alternatives. Life goes on. Apple will be poorer. And remember, this will happen in Japan, Korea, USA, India, and many other countries. Apple will have to buy an island with all that cash and sell its products there. Is that what you want?
There are probably a lot of devoted Apple fans who would probably move to an Apple island.

• Haha
Reactions: ackmondual

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If you pull out, don’t need to pay the fine. Or just say, “waive the fine or we will walk regardless.”

When other countries start to demand Apple the same as the EU.. will Apple pull out of those markets too? No. Apple may complain, but ultimately, Apple will comply with local laws.

Apple aren't going to remove themselves from a market consisting of a population exceeding 300 million.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
When developers have the ability to avoid the App Store they will avoid the App Store (keep the 30% and skip all those rules), users won’t have any expectation of security privacy.

Once a Wild West app market develops, these devices will become useless due to security concerns.

Maybe the EU can do something useful for security first by forcing websites and developers to implement a common email+password+totp login standard.

Already the EU tracking cookie questionnaires on every site (instead of a forced opt-out switch) make surfing tedious, now the EU is poised to make interactions unsafe.

Good job EU. (Normally your legislation does a good job but in this area you kinda suck.)

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I assume you also don’t install anything on your laptop either?
I have gotten malware on my windows system as recent as a few months ago - Video Copilot plugins were infected. Legit site and legit purchase and have used their stuff for years. It was unfortunate I had to reinstall their plugins after a Windows install leading to malware.

So I really don’t think people should look at desktop operating systems with a “this is fine” attitude. Phones will get targeted more for better metadata and location tracking.

I said it before, I’ll say it again. I think macos is not as secure as people here believe, and if you truly believe it’s very secure you are buying into marketing. Apple said so themselves in court. Windows is far more secure by being attacked more which means it got fixed more.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
I had a lot of respect for Google when they did that.

The problems were that Google backpedaled too soon, they were offering a service not a physical product, and that China is a much larger market that was more primed to develop its own local alternatives.

So if iPhones went dead across the EU next month, you're telling me a local alternative will have a completely viable product and ecosystem ready to go in 30 days to provide free phones to every former iPhone owner in the EU? Unlikely.
Android would move in and people would buy it without batting their eyelids. And remember, once they go to Android, they will not come back to iOS, especially if Apple pulls out showing their middle finger to their countries' laws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.