Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It’s not just foreign but internal.

But keeping with the foreign … it makes little sense that rationale. US companies have been quite successful and welcome abroad case in case EU … to the point that half of its revenue does not even get to the US … and the President needs to beg to bring in some to its borders … showing that these companies have moved beyond countries … these are global. Countries at these level are just markets … instruments for profit … including the country of origin.

So history show precisely these companies success’s abroad … being rewarded … so on and so forth. History does not change because of Apple … only how it is told … surely Apple will try this one … been reading some interesting comments about this in Mac rumours.

Do not confuse companies with citizens of a country, or the country of origin. At least in the west, liberal economies.
Apple to EU in 2008:

- Apple: we want to sell the iphone in the EU
- EU: sure that would be great
- Apple: we have additional capabilities coming to the iphone we wanted to tell you
- EU: sure, what are they
- Apple: well for one we have a great new connector call lightning that is much better than the 30 pin
- EU: No bueno: we are going to require you to standardize on usb-c.
- Apple: oh okay: well we have a great new functionality coming in a future iphone with the nfc chip.
- Apple: with this chip we are going to revolutionize the contactless payment scenarios.
- EU: will anybody be able to use this nfc?
- Apple: no, it will be locked for security
- EU: we will require you to open it up
- Apple: oh, let us tell you about our app store. It's going to be a safe and secure digital market place where customers can purchase physical and digital goods. Customers can downloads apps safely.
- EU: that sounds great, but customers should be able to install any app they want from anywhere
- Apple: oh. Thanks for your time. We'll let you know.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Apple to EU in 2008:

- Apple: we want to sell the iphone in the EU
- EU: sure that would be great
- Apple: we have additional capabilities coming to the iphone we wanted to tell you
- EU: sure, what are they
- Apple: well for one we have a great new connector call lightning that is much better than the 30 pin
- EU: No bueno: we are going to require you to standardize on usb-c.
- Apple: oh okay: well we have a great new functionality coming in a future iphone with the nfc chip.
- Apple: with this chip we are going to revolutionize the contactless payment scenarios.
- EU: will anybody be able to use this nfc?
- Apple: no, it will be locked for security
- EU: we will require you to open it up
- Apple: oh, let us tell you about our app store. It's going to be a safe and secure digital market place where customers can purchase physical and digital goods. Customers can downloads apps safely.
- EU: that sounds great, but customers should be able to install any app they want from anywhere
- Apple: oh. Thanks for your time. We'll let you know.

And? Any company that comes to deal with US depending on the market has to deal with the regulations of its institutions.

If Europe is a bad deal market to Apple than they should leave. I’m an Apple customer in the EU, all the personal and work tech I use, including my inner family is from Apple. Just this year I bought an iPhone 13 Pro Max with the Leather case and the wallet. Before this bought an MBA M1 for my son and 4 AirTags … I’m also an Apple One subscriber …

I’m sure Apple compliance with China is far more damaging to American interests by the way … we just don’t know what kind of concessions are in play really. I do know that for Google they were so many and privacy damaging that got out of that market. I said damaging to American … not necessarily shareholders has they tend to focus mainly on profits.

Speaking of profits again maybe EU is just not a good market for Apple, they should in that case leave. Leave it to Google and MS … two non US companies I guess. Honestly as a customer don’t think Apple is doing me any favors by staying if that is the case. I pay for everything I buy as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: vipergts2207

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And? Any company that comes to deal with US depending on the market has to deal with the regulations of its institutions.

If Europe is a bad deal market to Apple than they should leave.
Yes, they should.
I’m an Apple customer in the EU, all the personal and work tech I use, including my inner family is from Apple. Just this year I bought an iPhone 13 Pro Max with the Leather case and the wallet. Before this bought an MBA M1 for my son and 4 AirTags … I’m also an Apple One subscriber …
Thank you for support my AAPL shares. /s
I’m sure Apple compliance with China is far more damaging to American interests by the way … we just don’t know what kind of concessions are in play really. I do know that for Google they were so many and privacy damaging that got out of that market. I said damaging to American … not necessarily shareholders has they tend to focus mainly on profits.

Speaking of profits again maybe EU is just not a good market for Apple, they should in that case leave. Leave it to Google and MS … two non US companies I guess. Honestly as a customer don’t think Apple is doing me any favors by staying if that is the case. I pay for everything I buy as usual.
Well how about voting with your wallet if Apple is not doing you a solid? Why do you buy an Apple product and then want to government to regulate how it does business. Do you think companies would opt for doing business in the EU if profits from their intellectual property was on the line due to governmental micro-management?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Classic Apple

nicolasrieul_2021-Oct-06.jpg
nicolasrieul_2021-Oct-06 1.jpg

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The banks would love to be able to provide Apple-Pay-like functionality for their cards without paying Apple a cut of their transaction fees.
They do. Or at least the ones that include NFC chips in their cards.

For the ones that don’t include NFC chips in their cards… they should include NFC chips in their cards.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Yes, they should.

And our shares would just drop right there. You are crazy man … now not even your shares you seam to care. But hey talk to Tim about it … maybe he thinks like you … who knows. I am ready to sell mine any time.

Well how about voting with your wallet if Apple is not doing you a solid?

There is no such thing as voting through your wallet. Just because you buy a product it does not mean you support all the companies practices and policies. It‘s a silly and stupid stance, as silly as the previous one. I buy a car, diesel, it does not mean I support over polluting practices … period.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And our shares would just drop right there. You are crazy man … now not even your shares you seam to care. But hey talk to Tim about it … maybe he thinks like you … who knows. I am ready to sell mine any time.

There is no such thing as voting through your wallet. Just because you buy a product it does not mean you support all the companies practices and policies. It‘s a silly argument, as silly as the previous one.
Because you want a company to change the way it offers it's services, the only way to do that is to vote with your wallet. It's an obvious tact to take to see the way it really should be. Hopefully asking the government to do what you want goes to a place that is inconsequential for apple.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Because you want a company to change the way it offers it's services, the only way to do that is to vote with your wallet. It's an obvious tact to take to see the way it really should be. Hopefully asking the government to do what you want goes to a place that is inconsequential for apple.

There is no vote through wallet. Stop using a metaphor that it’s totally unfitted.

PS: Customers don’t support your / our shares … the company does. It’s not the business of shareholders to garantee a company growth. You cannot if you wanted. Neither is the job of customers to police companies practices. That up to the company and regulators.

Now as a shareholder it is your concern if the company is not coming with solutions leading to growth or with dealing with challenges that may impair its growth… regardless of the market landscape. The landscape is what it is and is ever changing … is the same for all companies working in a liberal market.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
As a customer not sure I care about how easy it is for devs to make and distribute things. I’m kind of interested in the best quality software that is safe and state of the art.

I suppose Apple is for the consumer before it’s for the developer.
So tell me what all apps you download first for each OS.

Every other platform has a bunch of amazing free apps you can download, generally of far better quality than the paid garbage on iOS.

The App Store model actively discourages distributing good apps for free and instead promotes making freemium garbage. There's no coincidence that the plague of Facebook, YouTube, etc took off in the late 2000s - Apple played an active role in that with the App Store.

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
The App Store model actively discourages distributing good apps for free and instead promotes making freemium garbage. There's no coincidence that the plague of Facebook, YouTube, etc took off in the late 2000s - Apple played an active role in that with the App Store.
The bolded statement is difficult for me to comprehend. If a developer is willing to work for free and put out his/her "good" app, what is actively discouraging said developer from distributing it in the iOS App Store?

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
But a real life one.

All clichés are. Nice and populist yet crash on the first real life example.

Although I understand that you may wish a world were money is the thing that talks, money votes and all, everything else irrelevant. I believe that would be an unbearable mediocre one. I would prefer a world we’re competence and honesty is the thing that talks … good money coming as a consequence.

We can nevertheless compromise half way no?

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Yeah, Windows had NOTHING to do with FaceBook… (no, no, you’re supposed to FORGET that it was initially available via computer browsers!!)

Developers wanting money discourages distributing good apps for free :) Developers that are funded through other means (by ads in the app, or by having another separate well paying job or just having large amounts of cash available to them) have made good apps available for free. Unfortunately, their solution is most likely number 1 as number 2 and number 3 are not common situations for most developers.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
This is why in my opinion Apple will fail with the EU over it's app store policy on it's payment system. Apple has made it so only it's it's own payment service has access to the NFC chip. This is no different to Apple only allowing it's own payment system to be used in the app store.

Reactions: Nuno Lopes

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
This is why in my opinion Apple will fail with the EU over it's app store policy on it's payment system. Apple has made it so only it's it's own payment service has access to the NFC chip. This is no different to Apple only allowing it's own payment system to be used in the app store.
And, in this instance, since the EU has allowed this for YEARS, Apple’s only fault is “Making a thing folks in EU countries want to buy.” If ONLY they had made something that EU folks DON’T want to buy!

The EU: Do what you like, just DON’T BE SUCCESSFUL!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, Windows had NOTHING to do with FaceBook… (no, no, you’re supposed to FORGET that it was initially available via computer browsers!!)
As was YouTube and Twitter. But they took off with the iPhone.

Without the iPhone, I think Facebook would have been the next MySpace and YouTube would have been an early Vine.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
And, in this instance, since the EU has allowed this for YEARS, Apple’s only fault is “Making a thing folks in EU countries want to buy.” If ONLY they had made something that EU folks DON’T want to buy!

The EU: Do what you like, just DON’T BE SUCCESSFUL!
Yeah, no. The EU typically takes years to build up a case and bring charges, occasionally dropping heavy hints along the way but businesses rarely listen until it's too late and then play the victim.

Apple will wail and gnash its teeth but from now on it's basically lawyers barking at each other while the less informed here in the forum take it all personally and demand that Apple take its ball home and refuse to play because, of course, that is what grown ups do.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah, no. The EU typically takes years to build up a case and bring charges, occasionally dropping heavy hints along the way but businesses rarely listen until it's too late and then play the victim.

Apple will wail and gnash its teeth but from now on it's basically lawyers barking at each other while the less informed here in the forum take it all personally and demand that Apple take its ball home and refuse to play because, of course, that is what grown ups do.
Of course, government should regulate a companies business model. /s

That should be a vote with your dollars not legislate a business model. While I don't know what Apple do, the EU tech community will get what it deserves, which is no innovation. (imo)

• Haha
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Apple pay works with various credit cards. What is the EU smoking. You don’t have to use the credit card of Apple to use it.

Reactions: NFCelevtech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.