Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Well, any decision they want within the confines of the law. Looking forward to the EU passing this one. ?

The confines of this directive seem very broad, as it appears to only require a connector and support PD if they charge above a certain limit. If, for example, they charge at than 5 volts, 3 amperes or 15 watts they need not incorporate PD.

It, oddly enough, makes no reference to pinouts nor prevents them from having other charging methods.

Apple clearly won’t release the same model iPhone with different localized hardware.

I agree, although they have done it with cellular modems; but connectors would make no sense unless it's some sort of wart that adapts USB-C to Lightening. The directive only requires a USB-C receptacle but not appear to prevent the use of a dongle.

Interestingly it requires a manufacturer to offer one without a power supply if they also offer one with it. wanna bet on what the price difference will be, if any?

We don’t know if the plans for the iPhone 14 are baked yet and what the plan is.

Given manufacturing lead times I'd be surprised if the design wan't awful close to done. At any rate by the time this is law Apple will be at the iPhone 18 or so.

Let's throw a hypothetical situation into the mix:

Lets assume Apple produces both a lightning and USB C equipped iPhone, and assume they both phones function identically, and the cost difference between the two devices is small (ie the USB C equipped iPhone is either equal to in price, or less than $50/£50/€50 etc etc more expensive compared to the lightning equipped iPhone).

Which would you choose?

Lightening simply because of the accessories I already have, or if it is cheaper.

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
I wonder if the statute allows for wireless charging, because that sounds like an innovation consumers would enjoy and a potential work around since there would not be a port to charge at all

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I wonder if the statute allows for wireless charging, because that sounds like an innovation consumers would enjoy and a potential work around since there would not be a port to charge at all

It does, the directive only refers to a wired port if there is one; it even mentions the possibility of wireless charging with no port and the need to decide how to regulate that.

Reactions: Appleman3546

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
The iPad and Apple's wireless headphones are already on the way their to USB Type C charging connectors anyway and could be done within a year. The iPhone is another story, though it's likely Apple may have a contingency plan to switch out the Lightning connector in favor of the USB Type C connector on short notice on the iPhone 14 model due in September 2022.

Reactions: I7guy

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
I've had USB-C cables fail from the Apple power adapter, mostly 3rd parties. Apple committed to Lightning for over a decade and it's getting towards the end, however there is the aspect of Apple not losing MFI and control of accessories that are plugging into the iPhone still. Versus the iPad and other products that don't depend on an iPhone and could freely be USB-C.

Apple can make the argument how much e-waste would be added with lightning cables filling landfills, versus the cable is good for over 10 years and more of iPhones, so the argument of too many chargers becomes rather moot.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
hat do you think it is best? Allow a corporate to continue polluting the environment with more cables and adapters that work ONLY with their products or require such corporate (and any other) to use a standard that works for everything and can do absolutely everything that those custom cables and adapters?
However, Apple could implement a USB-C port that complies with the standard and be incompatible with other devices, since the standard allows for a variety of configurations.

USB C doesn’t necessarily mean the end of MFI and Apple specific cabling.

Reactions: macsound1

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
However, Apple could implement a USB-C port that complies with the standard and be incompatible with other devices, since the standard allows for a variety of configurations.

Cross that bridge when we come to it. Sooner or later they’ll learn to tie the line and benefit the well being of everybody.
They should be forced to look into providing basic capabilities over USB.

• Angry

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
One possible end-point would be for all iPhones to charge wirelessly - and the supplied wireless charger itself to have both USB-C and Lightning sockets. Or, at a pinch, a cable with both USB-C and Lightning, or even two cables.

It wouldn't be an end-point in terms of the technology, which will surely continue going towards USB-C. But it could be an endpoint to the argument.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
One possible end-point would be for all iPhones to charge wirelessly - and the supplied wireless charger itself to have both USB-C and Lightning sockets. Or, at a pinch, a cable with both USB-C and Lightning, or even two cables.

It wouldn't be an end-point in terms of the technology, which will surely continue going towards USB-C. But it could be an endpoint to the argument.
I wouldn’t like that too much but agree it would be a good overall solution.

Reactions: polyphenol

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Given that Apple has already gone there with some devices, I'm sure they won't be dragged kicking and screaming to USB-C.

I'll save money on cables (eventually) because the contacts (hopefully) won't be burning out of them like in Lightning.

I just hope if they come out with a doodad to adapt one to the other, they put a lanyard hole on it so it can be leashed to the cable(s).

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
Apple says this requirement would create a thousands (millions) of insta waste as ligthing wires wouldnt be usable for future iPhones but this is the biggest ******** ever.

That would be right in some way, BUT the saving in future lighting waste would be MASSIVE!!!

Just think this, ios represents 12% of market share, this means, in paper, 12% of lighting waste would be save every year.
If banks would give you that for keeping your money you would be triple your money in 10 years.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Apple says this requirement would create a thousands (millions) of insta waste as ligthing wires wouldnt be usable for future iPhones but this is the biggest ******** ever.

That would be right in some way, BUT the saving in future lighting waste would be MASSIVE!!!

Just think this, ios represents 12% of market share, this means, in paper, 12% of lighting waste would be save every year.
If banks would give you that for keeping your money you would be triple your money in 10 years.
I don't get your math here. Lightning waste being replaced by USB-C waste doesn't actually save anything.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Cross that bridge when we come to it. Sooner or later they’ll learn to tie the line and benefit the well being of everybody.

They should be forced to look into providing basic capabilities over USB.

I fail to see how being forced to use the lowest common denominator benefits anyone. You wind up with a very limited functionality; which means either limiting innovation or winding up with cables that still are not interchangeable as manufactures add to the basic requirement to suit their needs.

For example, the USB-C spec calls for 3A minimum but allows 5A as well. A device could be designed to require 5A, so a cable that meets the 3A spec but does not support 5A would still be useless. Not to mention various alternate modes and backward compatibility.

Interesting idea, and I would like to have an all USB-C Apple eco system; but not at the expense of innovation.

Given that Apple has already gone there with some devices, I'm sure they won't be dragged kicking and screaming to USB-C.

Yea. it'll be interesting to see; if it results in thicker iPhones that'd be a plus as well. They could go 100% wireless, making them more water resistant as well.

However, given it's likely 3-5 years before it takes effect USB-C may well be superseded by then.

Last edited:

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Don't forget, we already have Apple supporting way over the limits of basic USB-C - with Thunderbolt 4.

Probably far faster than would be needed for any foreseeable iPhone. Also, a pretty hefty energy transfer.

Lightning surely could not be developed to get anywhere near this performance.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
I don't get your math here. Lightning waste being replaced by USB-C waste doesn't actually save anything.
Well, I have at home 5 usb-c wires for 10 devices, and 5 lighting wires for 3 iOS devices

I would have no lighting and probably same usb -c if iOs devices would have usb-c

Thats a 50% saving here

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayUltimate

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006

Apple should ditch the lightening connector/port and adopt USB-C as it would mean a universal connector which reduces waste and saves the planet and environment on the same note Apple will spin this and stop including any cables in the iPhone or iPad box saying people have access to many options.

An iPhone with USB-C will ship in a biodegradable protective sock.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Well, I have at home 5 usb-c wires for 10 devices, and 5 lighting wires for 3 iOS devices

I would have no lighting and probably same usb -c if iOs devices would have usb-c

Thats a 50% saving here
The people who are holding on to lightening connectors remind me of those who were crying afoul when Apple removed the optical drive. Fast forward and it’s all been about streaming and super fast NVMe external storage. The people who still have optical media probably also have record discs and turntables along with VHS, BETAMax and who knows SCSI connectors.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Yea. it'll be interesting to see; if it results in thicker iPhones that'd be a plus as well. They could go 100% wireless, making them more water resistant as well.
Some guy already put a USB-C port on an iPhone and sold it, MR covered his efforts. No thickness and works fine, Apple the innovative and environmental company just needs to be pushed by EU to use innovative technology that is environmentally sound.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I'm pretty "meh" regarding the switch to USB-C, because y'all know that at some point there is going to be yet another standard that supersedes the plug that we call USB-C, right?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm pretty "meh" regarding the switch to USB-C, because y'all know that at some point there is going to be yet another standard that supersedes the plug that we call USB-C, right?

It will be interesting for future historians to look back at the history of USB-C and USB in general.

USB-A only had 4 pins... but they were able to cram 5 extra pins for USB 3.0 to extend its life a little bit. And while there were multiple options for plugs on the other end of the cable... USB-B, MiniUSB, MicroUSB, etc... the host port and plug didn't change its shape for 20+ years.

But USB-C did require a new port shape. It was physically different. That was the biggest problem. Suddenly you had devices or cables that didn't fit into this new port.

Luckily USB-C has 24 pins inside it and can carry all sorts of protocols. It should be able to last a while. ?

So to answer your question... I don't think the USB-C port will be replaced by USB-D anytime soon. I hope not anyway.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area

Thats a 50% saving here
I'd have to replace all my apple keyboards, mice, ATV remote, and Airpods. Not to mention the actual iOS devices like iPad and iPhone.

I can't imagine a savings there.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I'd have to replace all my apple keyboards, mice, ATV remote, and Airpods. Not to mention the actual iOS devices like iPad and iPhone.

I can't imagine a savings there.
But no-one is suggesting you replace existing, working kit.

What overhead would there be in getting a USB-C port (instead of Lightning) when, eventually, you replace the keyboards, mice, ATV and AirPods?

There is a reasonable chance that the lifetimes of both the devices and the cables would be broadly similar. And cables will remain available for a long time.

For all these devices, wireless might also be an option.

My AirPod-like device is from Xiaomi - and is already USB-C.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple should ditch the lightening connector/port and adopt USB-C as it would mean a universal connector which reduces waste and saves the planet and environment on the same note Apple will spin this and stop including any cables in the iPhone or iPad box saying people have access to many options.[…]
Probably. That would be logical and another excellent environmental opinion by apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.