Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
However, given it's likely 3-5 years before it takes effect USB-C may well be superseded by then.

One could hope that USB-C is the 'one connector to find them all, and in the brightness bind them'.

I've grown so tired of the industry hopping from one 'standard' to another.

Not that it's been that bad, but Apple going from Firewire to the Dock Connector to Lightning to USB-C? (USB-D, USB-E, Lightning+?) And that doesn't include the many USB variants that other vendors used. I still find myself searching for an archaic USB cable to charge some still usable device.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Surely thats the whole point of this so cables aren’t included in the box anymore?
We have already seen the size of iPhone boxes shrink due to not including a charger. Probably make them even thinner if they don't include even a USB or Lightning cable.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Apple should ditch the lightening connector/port and adopt USB-C as it would mean a universal connector which reduces waste and saves the planet and environment on the same note Apple will spin this and stop including any cables in the iPhone or iPad box saying people have access to many options.

And no doubt raaise the price a bit to cover the cost of not including a cable and charger.

The people who are holding on to lightening connectors remind me of those who were crying afoul when Apple removed the optical drive. Fast forward and it’s all been about streaming and super fast NVMe external storage. The people who still have optical media probably also have record discs and turntables along with VHS, BETAMax and who knows SCSI connectors.

Of course technology moves on, and people complain when it does; and that's good because newer stuff is generally better. Of course, old stuff is not always worse or useless. Vinyl is still around, as are tube high end stereo equipment. DVDs are great when streaming isn't viable as well as to burn to disk. Even Firewire still works fine to run a slide/film digitizer.

Sometimes new brings up limitations as well. Streaming is great until you stop subscribing. Then you have nothing; or if it lacks the shows you want. Want Start Wars? You get the reimagined cuts, not the originals; unlike say LaserDisk.

Look at the whining about no USB-A ports. People will whine when USB-C goes away.

Some guy already put a USB-C port on an iPhone and sold it, MR covered his efforts. No thickness and works fine, [

While it was an interesting hack, building a durable connector is a bit more involved than soldering one in.

Apple the innovative and environmental company just needs to be pushed by EU to use innovative technology that is environmentally sound.

Except that all they are doing is describing a lowest common denominator, that will not result in one cable o rule ll in all likelihood and simply consign a lot of cable to the scrap heap when it is replaced.

Luckily USB-C has 24 pins inside it and can carry all sorts of protocols. It should be able to last a while. 🤞

It may wind up like RS-232 - Relatively standard as companies design specific protocols for their device using the USB-C connector.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Well, I have at home 5 usb-c wires for 10 devices, and 5 lighting wires for 3 iOS devices

I would have no lighting and probably same usb -c if iOs devices would have usb-c

Thats a 50% saving here
1. That would be a 33% savings.
2. I currently have one 6-inch USB-C cable and a few lightning cables. I wouldn't consider either of us typical. :)
3. I think this whole push will have minimal impact on Apple. They'll probably keep USB-C around for attaching accessories to Macs and iPads, but they'll probably eliminate the port on iPhones in the next decade.

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
When politicians can make a better work than that idiot, well, i think it's time to replace CEO...

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
[...]

Luckily USB-C has 24 pins inside it and can carry all sorts of protocols. It should be able to last a while. 🤞

So to answer your question... I don't think the USB-C port will be replaced by USB-D anytime soon. I hope not anyway.

I hope so that USB-C wouldn't be replaced soon, but I also find that a little doubtful (but of course, I could be wrong). Well, maybe not soon, but also not very far in the future. The nature of technology with changes is that we can't envision what actual changes will occur. We can't really anticipate.

One could hope that USB-C is the 'one connector to find them all, and in the brightness bind them'.

I've grown so tired of the industry hopping from one 'standard' to another.

Not that it's been that bad, but Apple going from Firewire to the Dock Connector to Lightning to USB-C? (USB-D, USB-E, Lightning+?) And that doesn't include the many USB variants that other vendors used. I still find myself searching for an archaic USB cable to charge some still usable device.

I think the nature of technology revolution is that such changes will happen. We can't really "future-proof". We can only try to extend the longevity of a technology.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I think the nature of technology revolution is that such changes will happen. We can't really "future-proof". We can only try to extend the longevity of a technology.

But, I think I remember Apple declaring that the Lightning Connector was 'the connector for the future', and they intimated that they wouldn't need to abandon it. I've argued that it's a flawed 'standard', and was a minor mess because of proprietary (high fees?) and poor design, and hoped Apple would dump it eventually, in hopes that they wouldn't reinvent to chocolate chip cookie to do it. The EU seems to want everyone to use their choice, and that is a good idea, but anyway...

Sure technology moves on. It lays waste to a lot of amazing ideas, products, and standards. I remember a company that came out with a desk computer with a 'processor slot', where different processors could be swapped in and out, but technology killed that great idea (or they just didn't try to 'futureproof' it?)

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
But, I think I remember Apple declaring that the Lightning Connector was 'the connector for the future', and they intimated that they wouldn't need to abandon it. I've argued that it's a flawed 'standard', and was a minor mess because of proprietary (high fees?) and poor design, and hoped Apple would dump it eventually, in hopes that they wouldn't reinvent to chocolate chip cookie to do it. The EU seems to want everyone to use their choice, and that is a good idea, but anyway...

Sure technology moves on. It lays waste to a lot of amazing ideas, products, and standards. I remember a company that came out with a desk computer with a 'processor slot', where different processors could be swapped in and out, but technology killed that great idea (or they just didn't try to 'futureproof' it?)
Yeah, I’m not arguing against a move to USB-C. I’m merely saying I’m pretty indifferent and nonchalant about whether to keep to Lightning or USB-C for iPhones.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
And no doubt raaise the price a bit to cover the cost of not including a cable and charger.

Of course technology moves on, and people complain when it does; and that's good because newer stuff is generally better. Of course, old stuff is not always worse or useless. Vinyl is still around, as are tube high end stereo equipment. DVDs are great when streaming isn't viable as well as to burn to disk. Even Firewire still works fine to run a slide/film digitizer.

Sometimes new brings up limitations as well. Streaming is great until you stop subscribing. Then you have nothing; or if it lacks the shows you want. Want Start Wars? You get the reimagined cuts, not the originals; unlike say LaserDisk.

Look at the whining about no USB-A ports. People will whine when USB-C goes away.

While it was an interesting hack, building a durable connector is a bit more involved than soldering one in.

Except that all they are doing is describing a lowest common denominator, that will not result in one cable o rule ll in all likelihood and simply consign a lot of cable to the scrap heap when it is replaced.

It may wind up like RS-232 - Relatively standard as companies design specific protocols for their device using the USB-C connector.
There is always going to be waste from any transition. I did not see or hear Apple claiming what their are with USB-C when making the move from 30 pin connector to Lightening. Apple with its we go back to the drawing board again and again till it’s perfect was unable to develop the Lightening connector from the get-go. Let be serious here this is about $$$ and control via MFi. It’s an outdated connector with USB 2 data transfer specs in 2022.

Reactions: macsound1

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Personally I'm for the USB-C ubiquity. Finding my lightening to USB C cable is a usual occurrence for me.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
It seems to be easier to plug in a Lightning cable in the dark than a USB-C cable... otherwise, I'm all for ditching Lightning. Once the legislation kicks in, Apple will have had over a decade's use out of it, so will consider it a success anyway.

Reactions: polyphenol

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
It seems to be easier to plug in a Lightning cable in the dark than a USB-C cable... otherwise, I'm all for ditching Lightning. Once the legislation kicks in, Apple will have had over a decade's use out of it, so will consider it a success anyway.
You could be right. Though I often plug a USB-C cable into my iPad in the dark/nearly dark. I hold the plug between thumb and forefinger, and slide down the right-side of the iPad. If you do that but turn the USB-C plus to something like 80 degrees (rather than exactly perpendicularly), when the plug reaches the socket, it is easy to feel, turn to an exact right-angle, and plug it in.

Reactions: ric22

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
You could be right. Though I often plug a USB-C cable into my iPad in the dark/nearly dark. I hold the plug between thumb and forefinger, and slide down the right-side of the iPad. If you do that but turn the USB-C plus to something like 80 degrees (rather than exactly perpendicularly), when the plug reaches the socket, it is easy to feel, turn to an exact right-angle, and plug it in.
Oh yeah, it isn't terribly difficult, but the rounded edges of lightning certainly help.

Reactions: polyphenol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.