Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simps100

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
This is exactly the type of **** the EU is hated for by many (not by most, I know).

I actually think USB-C >>> Lightning and hate Apple doesn't bother unifying their charging cable standards. But this is Apple's ****up to sort out. It does not belong to the EU. What's next? They require black phones instead of 'space' grey?
Pathetic
Agree with this, what happens in 3/4 years if apple or some other company come up with a better connection? It’s taken the eu this long to get this far how long would it take for a new standard to come through, that said why would Apple want to even create a better standard if they are just forced to share it with competitors anyway.

Imagine if this law had been around when lightning was introduced, I guess we would all have iPhones with Micro usb now.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
So when the USB consortium come up with an even better standard/port, this EU law will stop it being implemented on mobile devices

the EU tried to standardise on micro-usb before
if they’d have succeeded this conver around USB-C would have been moot
we’d all have the crap micro-usb on out devices

That’s my concern. We could end up with a better connector that no one’s allowed to use.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
So when the USB consortium come up with an even better standard/port, this EU law will stop it being implemented on mobile devices

the EU tried to standardise on micro-usb before
if they’d have succeeded this conver around USB-C would have been moot
we’d all have the crap micro-usb on out devices
If that same consortium (which includes Apple) had actually got their **** together and agreed on a common standard then the EU wouldn't feel the need to intervene and the USB Consortium could continue to innovate as much as they wanted.

The intent of the EU directive will be standardisation, not specifically USB-C. Of course, it will give USB-C as the current standard, but I imagine getting that updated in the future, even with the bureaucracy of Brussels, will be child's play compared to getting agreement across the USB Consortium.

And actually although it's often misreported, the EU didn't previously try to standardise on Micro-USB - the proposal was a charger either had to have a permanently attached cable terminating with a Micro-USB male plug, or it could simply be the charger (without cable) with a USB-A female socket.

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
Uh?
What do you think it is best? Allow a corporate to continue polluting the environment with more cables and adapters that work ONLY with their products or require such corporate (and any other) to use a standard that works for everything and can do absolutely everything that those custom cables and adapters?

You should actually thank the EU for this. Yet another directive that will improve the lives of EU citizens, the economy (the money spent on absurd cables and adapters can be better used to consume other more useful products) and the recycling and processing of waste in the EU.
And for free, the rest of the planet will probably get the same because this is one of those directives that will likely apply globally in practice, just like GDPR.

I think you are getting it wrong.

The EU is legislating for the EU consumers, to protect them and to care for them.
If there was no legislation, we would be ruled by corporate and stock market because the goals of companies is to make as much money as possible with the lowest possible cost. Legislation is there to put limits that the citizens have demanded.

Careful wschutz, you're attempting to appeal on an intellectual level to a hard-core sycophant. Intelligent discourse will not work in this circumstance.

Interesting how these same Stans fails to mention removing the charging brick from the box (in the name of saving the environment) yet including a cable that would not work with the charging bricks previously shipped. Solution: order another, now compatible brick from the Cupertonians - in it's own packaging of course. Nope, no Apple generated waste there.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Wouldn’t be that hard. Want to sell your products in the EU? Comply. No? Ok, you can’t sell them here, say bye to a large income source.

Alternatively, make a USB-C ported phone for teh EU and another connector everywhere else and charge more in the EU. Unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

And this is how the iPhones goes portless... to escape the EU police state

Depends on the directive text. If it requires a USB-C port rather than simply requiring it if it has a port, then a port must be included.

it might be prevented from doing so.

Exactly. It also means all those cheap phone manufacturers will need to redesign as well.

Wouldn’t be that hard lol. Comply/find another solution. Or lose out on the EU market..

If it just requires the port, and not the USB standard for pinouts, Apple could design the port so as to use a USB connector but require a special cable for some features; much like in the old RS-232 where RS stood for "Relatively Standard."

• Haha
Reactions: ohio.emt

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Apple is clinging to Lightning Bc they know iPhone will be portless soon, so the USB debate will be dead too.

like do these countries get tech at all? Look at how much the iPhone has changed in 14 years. Phone tech is moving so fast.
And what if EU comes up with a law that force all manufacturers to include a charging port ? :)

Reactions: miq

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Lightning connector is a superior user experience though. Apple should just make a new version of lightning that is USB 4 compliant

I’ve been pondering this since I read it, trying to think of how Lightning offers me a superior experience over say, my iPad Pro with USB-C.

I’m going to be honest, I’m struggling to see how it does. Both reversible, both can offer the same functions. Other than their shape, there’s not really anything different. So much so that Apple have seen fit to include USB-C on many of their products. Which actually makes my life easier for connecting many peripherals.

The two are so inter-operable that Apple could easily release a USB-C to Lightning adapter, to ensure compatibility with existing peripherals. Just as they did when we moved from the old 30 pin connector.

Heck, the only difference I can come up with is Apple can’t charge a license fee for USB-C. They could still offer a MFI licence program of course, to assure end users of quality and charge manufacturers for that.

I’m, as always, happy to be proved wrong though, so if you’d care to elaborate on your statement, I’d like to read it.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
No one’s saying you‘d only need one cable, just one TYPE of cable. I for one find it very convenient that I can charge my iPad, MacBook Pro, camera, and wireless keyboard using the same port. I need fewer cables, not just one.
You‘d still need the same number of cables, regardless of if they were different types. One charging brick and cable per device. It doesn’t matter if they are USBC, micro USB or lightning, it’s still one set of charging brick and cable per device. This is why I'm struggling to work out what the benefit of this legislation is unless they really do think people are going to use a single charging brick and cable for all of their devices.

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
As much as I would want iPhone to have USB-C I hope this never gets through. Imagine if they did this when micro-USB was the standard. We would have been stuck with that forever. At some point we will get a connector that's even better than USB-C but this legislation would not allow any new standard to be used.
Agreed. If the point of the legislation is to limit electronic waste, what will happen when Apple removes the port? Will that be a violation. That’s the type of innovation that this bill could be limiting.

Reactions: ikir

macar00n

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2021
Am I the only one that thinks the USBC connector that allows the cable to jiggle around in it, has a tiny male piece in the center that can easily break off, and gets as soft and loose over time like mashed potatoes, is a really crappy connector? I'm not talking about data transfer speed when the port is working perfectly - that is fine - but I think rectangular old school USB was a. better port. Lightning is an outstanding port, sturdy and clicks in solidly and doesn't degrade over time. Much more water resistant.

The EU wants to have some tech illiterates dictate ports, can you imagine if they did this with medicine? Leave it to the experts to figure out what port they need. Apple could've put any port on their product and they chose this one for a reason. People have been requiring different cables for different devices for all of tech history. My refrigerator uses a different power plug than my dryer. They have different requirements. Stay in your lane EU

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
“Apple warned that forcing a common charging port on the industry would stifle innovation and create electronic waste as consumers were forced to switch to new cables.” It says the creator of the thousands of dongles. What a BS!!!!

You mean all those USB-C dongles?

Reactions: ohio.emt and ikir

macar00n

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2021
Oh PLEASE with the environmental angle. Corporations waste FAR more resources than individuals combined ever could, exploiting the environment for profit. If the EU wanted to make environmental progress they'd focus on the corporations and leave individuals with their one cable alone. These smooth brain troglodytes want everyone in the world using USBC regardless of whether the manufacturer deems it appropriate and then what, we'll need the permission of a bunch of politicians to switch to a better port in the future? Give me a break, what a freaking joke!

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2019
I'd welcome this, but it's pointless. All of Apple's devices will use USB-C well before this regulation (if it passes) would come into effect in 2024-5.

Also, while regulating one universal standard would be good for the environment and user, device makers would then probably require EU permission to move from USB-C to a more advanced port in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.