Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Substance90

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Contrary to what 20 year old commenter soon this thread would have your believe, the modern siloed chat service that doesn't integrate with anything is a modern invention. IM protocols in the past used to be open. In fact, untill very recent versions of OSX I could read Google Talk and Facebook messages on my iMessage thanks to the XMPP protocol.

Reactions: R2FX

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Decisions by apple don’t impact android in a negative way unless one is counting customers voting with their $$$, innovation etc. android based on how one determines the market share exceeds iOS. Non apple units sales exceed apple unit sales.
Decisions by apple don’t impact android developers in a negative way.

That is why this legislation don’t care what impact apple have on android. Apple with iOS and google with Android have such large market share independently, known as a dominating position that they independently impact developers negatively.

These regulations don’t care about unit sales, no Ip is stolen.
Unless you can find better numbers than I have.

"The high revenue generated from the Americas is largely due to Apple’s strong performance in their home market, the United States. Apple has the largest market share among smartphone vendors in the U.S. by a large margin. Although international sales have a growing share of Apple’s total revenue, the U.S. still counts for around 40 percent of Apple’s net sales. The U.S. also has the highest concentration of Apple stores, which is Apple’s own chain of retail stores that showcase and sell Apple’s various products including the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, among others."

Eu is a bigger market than USA. We have 400 million citizens. Apple just have fewer customers

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
The answer: no amount of regulation.

Just look at what Apple is putting up with in China.

In the end, the almighty dollar is what determines what Apple does. They'll complain, but they'll keep selling their devices as their shareholders want them to do.

I agree on double standards of Tim Cook but this regulation impacts business model of Apple that drives their differentiation and profits. Not even China asked for such invasive changes like EU is asking now. I still fail to see how this will supposedly help any competitiveness or improve anything for end users in terms of pricing or security.

I’m not saying it’s necessary a wrong thing to try, but it should be applied to everyone including game consoles, cars and other electronics. Why only phones? Many companies have walled gardens that were erected later than iPhone came along (car manufacturers and their software locks come in mind).

I used jailbroken iPhone 1st gen and had a fair share of experience with its stability so I hope they will not allow sideloading along with apps downloaded from App Store. It really should be binary - full security and Apple privacy & security or hands off and you’re responsible for it. I still come across spam calendar links and I really don’t want them to turn into apps that will be downloaded without your knowledge from god knows where and stealing your data.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Love to see the EU finally fixing Apple's app store monopoly!

If this doesn't come to the US, I'll import a Euro iPhone. Apple DOES NOT have the right to control what apps I put on MY iPhone.

Why don’t you educate yourself a little bit on how market and market monopoly is defined & tested from regulatory perspective before you start venting your frustrations online?

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
I agree on double standards of Tim Cook but this regulation impacts business model of Apple that drives their differentiation and profits. Not even China asked for such invasive changes like EU is asking now. I still fail to see how this will supposedly help any competitiveness or improve anything for end users in terms of pricing or security.

I’m not saying it’s necessary a wrong thing to try, but it should be applied to everyone including game consoles, cars and other electronics. Why only phones? Many companies have walled gardens that were erected later than iPhone came along (car manufacturers and their software locks come in mind).

I used jailbroken iPhone 1st gen and had a fair share of experience with its stability so I hope they will not allow sideloading along with apps downloaded from App Store. It really should be binary - full security and Apple privacy & security or hands off and you’re responsible for it. I still come across spam calendar links and I really don’t want them to turn into apps that will be downloaded without your knowledge from god knows where and stealing your data.
I agree with you - the EU bill is unlikely to have the effects that the regulators are hoping it will.

In fact, I would expect security, privacy and competition to lessen as a result in most areas.

And yet, it totally follows that the EU regulators would at least attempt to curb the power of big tech and the massive network effects that allow them to indulge in overt rent-seeking behaviors.

I just wish regulators everywhere were run not by people who are idealistic about how software *should* work and more by people who understand first-hand the effects of designing and changing complex, mass market software products.

A man can dream, right?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
That is why politicians aren’t the ones creating the legislation but industry experts.

It's not uncommon for indutry experts to write legislation, in fact companies sometimes form organizations to allow them just to do that.

That doesn't mean there won't be unintended consequences. Having worked on expert groups with standards, they tend to become the lowest common denominator, sometimes with enough combinations so there really isn't one universal standard that works with everything.

My preference is, as I've pointed out, would be for Apple to comply by allowing users to chose how far they want to open up their phone. Build in toggles that let you choose where on the spectrum you want to be.

That is real choice, and each individual can have their own reasons why to allow or disallow access. For example, I don't want anyone being able to send me stuff to WhatsApp that are not in my contact list. I use What's App exclusively for work, so if I get a notification I know it is important, not some random offer to lower my car insurance. Same with Skype. Someone else may want to allow it.

The concept in the law is fine, but it's the execution that will matter.

These regulations affect European companies equally. Do you honestly think European companies have less rules and regulations to follow?

At times it seems the legislation is carefully written to target certain companies while avoiding others. Which would not surprise me because every country wants to protect its industries at the expense of other country's.

In this legislation, Viadeo, despite having an estimated 65 million users, is excluded because they do not have the same financials, even if they exceed the user base that seems to be of concern.

Last edited:

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
The problem I see is interoperability reduces security and is likely to be a lowest common denominator that no one finds as useful as the app''s version. It's likely to be some SMS+variant as a standard.

We need a new version of messaging that isn't developed by one company (eg Google's thing) and remains an open standard like SMS and Email. I would argue that it doesn't need E2EE because SMS and Email do not have it and are still very popular methods of communication.

• Haha
Reactions: robco74 and dk001

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
We need a new version of messaging that isn't developed by one company (eg Google's thing) and remains an open standard like SMS and Email. I would argue that it doesn't need E2EE because SMS and Email do not have it and are still very popular methods of communication.

The question is what should the new standard attempt to do? I just want to keep the ability to use a protocol and app that has features I want without having it be opened up to some standard. If you look at SMS and Email, they're pretty much a small set of features everyone supports and then adds to or creates a new protocol; so interoperability just means supporting a small subset of what can be done.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

That is why this legislation don’t care what impact apple have on android. Apple with iOS and google with Android have such large market share independently, known as a dominating position that they independently impact developers negatively.

Eu is a bigger market than USA. We have 400 million citizens. Apple just have fewer customers
It is why Apple does the bend over in China. Numbers.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

EU is usurping apples ip. The legislation is crap legislation and the EU will reap what it sows.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Scary..

Following that logic, Apple’s not going to have anywhere left to do business because the EU isn’t the only place looking to reign in big tech.

In the end, big tech will find ways to use the regulations to their advantage and help maintain their dominance.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
“Small and medium-sized companies "are exempt from being identified as gatekeepers, apart from in exceptional cases," the press release said.”

Translation: We’ve made sure no European companies are affected.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
“Small and medium-sized companies "are exempt from being identified as gatekeepers, apart from in exceptional cases," the press release said.”

Translation: We’ve made sure no European companies are affected.
Alternatively, companies with relatively little power don’t have to worry about getting caught up in a law designed to rein in the most egregious offenders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.