Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josselinco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Nice, France
Anybody from the Old Continent considering buying the Vision Pro when it goes on sale in the US ?

Maybe you've got a work trip planned, maybe you're going for the occasion...

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Not the first generation no. I will wait until the second or third gen. I do think it has potential to be a game changing device. People being able to record videos of their family, Then relive them inside Vision Pro, that‘s very powerful in itself Especially for people that have lost someone.

Reactions: josselinco

RobinNL

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
World
Thinking about it (as an app developer). As a consumer wish it had M3 and hope it gets the ability to stream from a more powerful computer.

Reactions: josselinco

josselinco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Nice, France
If you are in Europe, don’t jump the gun.

Why?

-3D movies might be exclusive to US Apple ID users
-Some Vision Pro apps might not Avaiable in Europe or could be region locked at any point between now and the European release.
Interesting, didn't think of that!

I'm however an XR designer so that's not the main aspect for me right away

VPsmith

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2023
Thinking about it (as an app developer). As a consumer wish it had M3 and hope it gets the ability to stream from a more powerful computer.
That will be the next gen version. But it will probably have an M4.. I would imagine it will always have an even number M chip.. M4, M6, M8 etc

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
If you are in Europe, don’t jump the gun.

Why?

-3D movies might be exclusive to US Apple ID users
-Some Vision Pro apps might not Avaiable in Europe or could be region locked at any point between now and the European release.
Just sign up for an America Apple ID. I bought my original iPhone from the States and that’s how I got around most of those issues. They were no apps at the time but I still was able to use my American Apple ID in the Uk.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Just sign up for an America Apple ID. I bought my original iPhone from the States and that’s how I got around most of those issues. They were no apps at the time but I still was able to use my American Apple ID in the Uk.
Don’t you need a US address

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Not the first generation no. I will wait until the second or third gen. I do think it has potential to be a game changing device. People being able to record videos of their family, Then relive them inside Vision Pro, that‘s very powerful in itself Especially for people that have lost someone.
Strange Days was a good movie about this. Also Brainstorm.

Reactions: B S Magnet

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
I was more referring to the cost that will be needed to be paid at custom imports
Doesn’t matter much, you just declare that you’re bringing in $3500 worth of goods and you pay for it. I’ve brought in stuff from overseas a ton of time.

If you buy something from Apple in Europe itself then this is already priced in in the sticker price, so it’s not like I’ll suddenly be paying way more for the headset. It’s the same reason why the $3500 headset will easily cost $4200 (3500 + 20%) in Europe converted to €.

davvid97

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
It is common for Europeans to buy devices in USA and bring home to Europe without declaring it (USA has great prices for apple product), when you do it without the packaging and you bring just 1 product for yourself (not resseling) it shouldn't be suspicious when crossing border.

VPsmith

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2023
It is common for Europeans to buy devices in USA and bring home to Europe without declaring it (USA has great prices for apple product), when you do it without the packaging and you bring just 1 product for yourself (not resseling) it shouldn't be suspicious when crossing border.
Yeah it's a personal item.. do you declare your cellphone, clothes etc? Like nah that's my personal items they are apart of me.. Now if I'm bringing in three new pairs of shoes or bottles of wine that's a bit more demanding of tax maybe?. But no need to declare your watch, phone, vr headset..

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Doesn’t matter much, you just declare that you’re bringing in $3500 worth of goods and you pay for it. I’ve brought in stuff from overseas a ton of time.

If you buy something from Apple in Europe itself then this is already priced in in the sticker price, so it’s not like I’ll suddenly be paying way more for the headset. It’s the same reason why the $3500 headset will easily cost $4200 (3500 + 20%) in Europe converted to €.
Funny, we came back from Europe and wife bought a $3500 LV purse from Venice, Italy.

We went thru CBP at LAX and declared the purchases to the CBP officer and we were waved thru without any question or payment.

We are Global Entry so maybe that's why ??

Dunno .
20230528_111820.jpg
..🤷‍♂️

Urban Splash

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
It’s interesting as a UK buyer. I’m almost tempted to get one at launch using a mates address that lives in America. It will be significantly cheaper than buying in the UK (£2,800). When it launches in the UK I can see it selling for £3,999 with crazy limited supply. Hmmmmm

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
How will you get it through customs back to Europe
The worst that could happen (and probably wouldn't) is you would have to pay VAT on it.

But you already dropped 3000 euros or something and the plane ticket and the hotel and the bills to light up cigars. What's a few more hundred?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.