Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goodsteward

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2018
What is this fixing? Who is complaining about this?

For Apple to open things up creates a security risk to them and to the customer. The only people I see wanting this are hackers, scammers, and governments to data mine and monitor people more. Why do you think it’s the governments suing and pushing for all this change, and not electronics companies?

I used to use be a big android only fan. I am a big techie and I did flashing, Roms, etc. You can keep all that open mess and choice. It was just an headache searching for a better experience. Apple works better than anything I’ve ever used.

Why do I need my things to work worse to remind me I have a choice and could go somewhere else?

Reactions: I7guy

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
What is this fixing? Who is complaining about this?

For Apple to open things up creates a security risk to them and to the customer. The only people I see wanting this are hackers, scammers, and governments to data mine and monitor people more. Why do you think it’s the governments suing and pushing for all this change, and not electronics companies?

I used to use be a big android only fan. I am a big techie and I did flashing, Roms, etc. You can keep all that open mess and choice. It was just an headache searching for a better experience. Apple works better than anything I’ve ever used.

Why do I need my things to work worse to remind me I have a choice and could go somewhere else?
I understand how you feel. But this is not corrupting the experience on an iPhone, it is simply enabling a broader set of experiences and the choice to engage is entirely up to the user.

If I can offer an example. The iPhone is like a high performance luxury vehicle. Its design has thus far been focused on limiting its use to very specific roads and highways that have had Apple’s direction on design and implementation. However, there is an expectation from any vehicle owner that they could attempt to drive their vehicle on a much broader selection of roads (paved and unpaved). Certainly the hardware design may limit performance on certain roads but we all know that even a luxury sedan can be driven on an unpaved road.

Imagine if software in the car just shut off the engine or refused to accept any input from the driver when attempting to leave an “Apple” paved roadway. It would not sit well with any driver. Because vehicles are ubiquitous in their use and application. Some can be specialized and customized to excel in certain scenarios but a car, in general, can be driven on land. Paved or unpaved, with or without certain obstacles.

Sure there may be nuance even in vehicles’ ability to accept custom and aftermarket parts but the extent to which Apple has gone to prevent similar customization and flexibility of use in a device as ubiquitous as a smart phone has begun to tread into the same territory as the example I provided above.

So remember, just because some people want to modify their Mercedes or BMW or their Mazda or Honda to get massive rims, a new suspension, nitrous or what have you and upgraded turbo, new programming for the onboard computer, an aftermarket hi-fi system… it won’t affect the use and experience of “your” vehicle.

I hope that explanation was helpful.

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
Apple Pay and Google Pay drove NFC phone payment adoption in the US. Prior to that, the bad apps directly from the banks were a pain to use so no one used them.

When Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay were released in USA in 2014 and 2015, many major USA retailers used a payment system called CurrentC. It was very unpopular. CurrentC ended in 2017.

Last edited:

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Laughing at all the comments about additional choices 😂

How did that emulator app in the EU turn out? You have no other choice but the one alternative app store to buy from. 😂

jackedint

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Real question: who asked for this? Apple? Banks? Customers? The government?

Contactless payments are contactless payments at the end of the day. Not much to innovate on. Banks already have ways to tracking your purchases and offering incentives (like Chase Offers, for example).

My guess is this is yet another solution in search of a problem that someone cried to the government about with no real demand/necessity.
most likely the banks, its about money in the transaction fees

w/ ApplePay today, Apple takes a cut
if your remove involvement from Apple & allow direct access to the NFC chip, Banks / processors could develop a contactless payment method on an iPhone/iPad/AVP without Apple taking a cut of the transaction

introduction of this option does NOT mean it is the same data

with ApplePay (today), a one time use token is provided.

with a bank provided (or other processors) app that is able to access NFC on an iPhone/iPad & even an AVP?, the payment information might not be a token but just cleartext cardholder account data, similar to just waving / tapping a physical card over an NFC enabled payment terminal.

competition can be good but removal of the current closed door ApplePay solution opens the door for lots of other things. I am not sure about this one yet but something to keep an eye on

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
Do look up "duopoly". You basically have two choices when buying a mobile phone, iOS or Android. The least regulators can do is keep both software platforms equally open.
Android is not a phone company. There are more than 2 phone companies that sell phones.

Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Google, HTC, & Sony all have many models of phones available on the market. Just because one or two companies become more popular than the others do not make them a monopoly or duopoly. People decide which one they want to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.