Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
To those who are tired of slab phones or those already invested in a folding smartphone irrespective of the manufacturer,

would you agree to a "one stop" thread?

for all the debates, rumours, expectations and reviews of anything coming in 2024,

no matter the brand,

instead of having separate threads.

If happy with it I will kick it off with a link suggesting Samsung may be planning to avail multiple versions of the fold (or rather a cheaper version)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Of course my anecdotal experience is just that, but I’m not seeing a real world desire for foldable phones. Whenever someone catches sight of my Pixel Fold, there’s some mild intrigue but near universal statement that they wouldn’t want one, don’t like how thick it is and most often, don’t like the creased inner display.

I’ve also spoken with maybe half a dozen Samsung Fold/Flip users over the past year or two and the most often comment I get is they can’t wait to switch back to a ‘regular’ phone. 🤷‍♂️

Again, obviously a limited sample but I’m not seeing a lot of pent up desire for the form factor.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
To those who are tired of slab phones or those already invested in a folding smartphone irrespective of the manufacturer,

would you agree to a "one stop" thread?

for all the debates, rumours, expectations and reviews of anything coming in 2024,

no matter the brand,

instead of having separate threads.

If happy with it I will kick it off with a link suggesting Samsung may be planning to avail multiple versions of the fold (or rather a cheaper version)

It’s important to have separate threads for specific devices. It’s fine to have one thread to discuss rumors currently. But once we get closer to specific releases we will have dedicated threads for each foldable.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Of course my anecdotal experience is just that, but I’m not seeing a real world desire for foldable phones. Whenever someone catches sight of my Pixel Fold, there’s some mild intrigue but near universal statement that they wouldn’t want one, don’t like how thick it is and most often, don’t like the creased inner display.

I’ve also spoken with maybe half a dozen Samsung Fold/Flip users over the past year or two and the most often comment I get is they can’t wait to switch back to a ‘regular’ phone. 🤷‍♂️

Again, obviously a limited sample but I’m not seeing a lot of pent up desire for the form factor.
In America at least these are still very niche devices. The few people that I’ve met that use foldables really like them. I expect them to grow in popularity once the address the current hurdles. Less crease, dust protection, lower prices. We will get there in due time. But for now these are still super expensive devices with compromises.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
In America at least these are still very niche devices. The few people that I’ve met that use foldables really like them. I expect them to grow in popularity once the address the current hurdles. Less crease, dust protection, lower prices. We will get there in due time. But for now these are still super expensive devices with compromises.
From my perspective, the pros outweigh the cons.

I agree with you, there are compromises and everyone is not willing to deal with it… which is perfectly reasonable. But I like the current state that we are in… it’s progressing at a suitable rate. Some companies are tackling the issues that you mention.

But I like the idea of having a phone that can unfold into tablet… it’s something futuristic about it. And we live in this tech community where phones are getting larger and larger. Primarily because users want to view content on a large screen.

And with that being said, the tablet experience on a foldable is the price of admission. Heck, in some regions the iPhone is more expensive than a foldable. And I’m not entirely sure the price will be as low as you think… because the feature set requires it to be expensive than a slab.

I think the OnePlus Open at $1500 might be the sweet spot, heck.. I wager if Apple was to come out with a foldable it would be much higher!

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Im currently using the Xiaomi Fold 3 and OnePlus Open and don't really think I will go back to an Apple iPhone (as my main phone). I use the iP15 just for going out on weekends or holidays, my Folds are just far more productive which excellent features such Dual Apps and Split screen etc.

Reactions: Ludatyk and Tulani

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think the cost is the only thing holding people back from them. If these were priced lower I bet most would have a foldable. Certainly newer foldables which have normal slab aspect ratios. Hardware these days on foldables are really great and aren’t much different to current slab devices. I think people would rather have a bigger display when they need it. Certainly when foldables lately are super thin and light.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
It can't be too much of a cost reasoning when a phone like the One Plus open can be purchased for £1,500 yet an iPhone Pro Max is circa £1,300 plus..

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
From my perspective, the pros outweigh the cons.

I agree with you, there are compromises and everyone is not willing to deal with it… which is perfectly reasonable. But I like the current state that we are in… it’s progressing at a suitable rate. Some companies are tackling the issues that you mention.

But I like the idea of having a phone that can unfold into tablet… it’s something futuristic about it. And we live in this tech community where phones are getting larger and larger. Primarily because users want to view content on a large screen.

And with that being said, the tablet experience on a foldable is the price of admission. Heck, in some regions the iPhone is more expensive than a foldable. And I’m not entirely sure the price will be as low as you think… because the feature set requires it to be expensive than a slab.

I think the OnePlus Open at $1500 might be the sweet spot, heck.. I wager if Apple was to come out with a foldable it would be much higher!
2023 in North America at least was a great year for book-style foldables. We have two new players in the game (Google and OnePlus) and I fully expect 3 new book-style foldable sequels to come in 2024.

I agree that $1,500 is the sweet spot. OnePlus made great progress with the crease this year and there are many Chinese foldables with great nearly crease-less designs as well.

I also fully expect Samsung to make a wider cover screen GF6 next year.

Qi2 is hopefully coming to all 3 sequels in 2024. And fingers crossed for dust protection as well.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It can't be too much of a cost reasoning when a phone like the One Plus open can be purchased for £1,500 yet an iPhone Pro Max is circa £1,300 plus..
Except very, very few iPhone customers are cross-shopping with an Android foldable and comparatively, the average price of Android phones is far less than the cost of these larger, ‘tablet style’ folding phone.

I’m not disqualifying their utility but rather that most consumers aren’t even looking twice at these devices, especially at these prices.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’m not disqualifying their utility but rather that most consumers aren’t even looking twice at these devices, especially at these prices.
In the beginning, this was my thought process. But the iPhone 15 Pro Max, which starts out at $1200 and Apple sell a ridiculous amount of those.

Except very, very few iPhone customers are cross-shopping with an Android foldable and comparatively, the average price of Android phones is far less than the cost of these larger, ‘tablet style’ folding phone.
Heck, very few iPhone customers are cross-shopping with any Android phone let alone a foldable.

And that’s primarily due to the Apple ecosystem. Even with my lady, she looks at my Android foldable and think that it’s dope… she truly likes it. However, since her social circle is iPhone users… she remains with an iPhone.

That’s why I continue to believe if Apple comes out with a foldable… these iPhone users who are against foldables, will reveal themselves to be hypocrites.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
difference is though the one plus open is basically sold in one place and thats the official site. iphones are sold pretty much everywhere. generally I think average customers are more willing to pay big money for iphones than top end android phones

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not much emphasis by analysts on crease reduction anymore these days

Focus is now on other things

Could it be we have already reached the peak already?
Peak? Absolutely not. We are still in the beginning stages… Apple haven’t entered the market yet.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

One plus did one hell of a job with their crease. it can be done

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

Definitely not reached the peak yet. There are still things foldables can improve on.

Now, slabs phones...we may have reached the peak with them. At this point, all we are getting are better processors, cameras and batteries (that's up for discussion since the processor and software plays hand and hand with how efficient it is).

Next up for slab phones are basically this...all screen phones. And were likely still 2-4 years from it. I'm surprised Samsung hasn't done it yet with their S series.

1701470982748.png

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Next up for slab phones are basically this...all screen phones. And were likely still 2-4 years from it. I'm surprised Samsung hasn't done it yet with their S series.
Because the quality isn't worth it yet.

It's available for the Fold series (inner display), because Samsung can overcome it since we can use the outer (cover) display to act as a view finder while using the main camera for selfies OR use the outer display selfie camera for video calling.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
In the beginning, this was my thought process. But the iPhone 15 Pro Max, which starts out at $1200 and Apple sell a ridiculous amount of those.

Heck, very few iPhone customers are cross-shopping with any Android phone let alone a foldable.

And that’s primarily due to the Apple ecosystem. Even with my lady, she looks at my Android foldable and think that it’s dope… she truly likes it. However, since her social circle is iPhone users… she remains with an iPhone.

That’s why I continue to believe if Apple comes out with a foldable… these iPhone users who are against foldables, will reveal themselves to be hypocrites.
And what about us, iphone users that love idea of foldables but cant/dont want to switch… all we can do is wait if apple ever (doubt it) will release one (and no, no flip like foldable, rather fold5/pixel fold one).

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
And what about us, iphone users that love idea of foldables but cant/dont want to switch… all we can do is wait if apple ever (doubt it) will release one (and no, no flip like foldable, rather fold5/pixel fold one).
I believe Apple will eventually... it's going to get to the point where they can't ignore it.

Given both major players (Google and Samsung) are in the market, and I don't see them slowing down as much as the naysayers claim foldables not a thing. Of course, the market may be labeled as niche at this point... but phablets started out small only to become what most consumers gravitate towards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.