Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Im currently using the Xiaomi Fold 3 and OnePlus Open and don't really think I will go back to an Apple iPhone (as my main phone). I use the iP15 just for going out on weekends or holidays, my Folds are just far more productive which excellent features such Dual Apps and Split screen etc.

First time I've read about someone with a weekend/holiday phone. One can only dream.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Because the quality isn't worth it yet.

It's available for the Fold series (inner display), because Samsung can overcome it since we can use the outer (cover) display to act as a view finder while using the main camera for selfies OR use the outer display selfie camera for video calling.
The quality isn't there yet. They can't be putting that camera quality on their S series. It's a downgrade compared to what we have now. Until the under the display camera quality matches what we have in slab flagships, it's a no go. Hence the reason Google didn't put it under the screen with their Fold.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The quality isn't there yet. They can't be putting that camera quality on their S series. It's a downgrade compared to what we have now. Until the under the display camera quality matches what we have in slab flagships, it's a no go. Hence the reason Google didn't put it under the screen with their Fold.
I believe Google could have taken the same approach with their Pixel Fold… Since it has a total of 3 different camera arrangements users could do the same methods when it comes to picture and video calling.

I personally like theres no hole punch visible on the inner display of the Galaxy Fold regardless of the quality being below average.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
And what about us, iphone users that love idea of foldables but cant/dont want to switch… all we can do is wait if apple ever (doubt it) will release one (and no, no flip like foldable, rather fold5/pixel fold one).
Apple first needs to overcome the basic structure of the iPhone itself. It's in the name phone!

That is the inherent problem in order to project your screen. When you want to use it as an ex as a pure smartphone, you have to use an apple t. V, that's a ridiculous idea. Let's go one farther. Hook up an apple keyboard and an apple mouse or an apple track pad. And you're still limited and what you can do. It's really appealing.

Apple needs to get put of the mindset of protecting products from overlapping or one rendering the other obsolete: their prices already protect each product segment and product version already.

If Apple was smart they'd realize:
The low end iPads could serve as a secondary screen to all macs as well as the iPhone for those at home or travelling - a MUCH cheaper option for every customer that isn't a desktop publishing or video editing professional.

Next theyd realize a budding student or artist that wants, purchased or receives the low end iPad actually wants that larger screen canvas as well as the Apple Pencil for drawing!

I wouldn't expect a foldable or rollable screen iPhone to support Apple Pencil of any iteration in the first place. I highly doubt the majority of their customers do anyway.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not even about courage though. The amount they would have to produce and the way they see it as a risk I think they see it as an after thought

Seems obvious they are focusing on a completely different category with the vision pro

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not even about courage though. The amount they would have to produce and the way they see it as a risk I think they see it as an after thought

Seems obvious they are focusing on a completely different category with the vision pro
I'm not necessarily excited about Vision Pro... I'm more curious about it. I think it would be a totally different situation if Apple decided to get into the foldable game.

I'm glad Apple is shifting into a different category, but I have not thought twice about putting something on my face in the past couple of years (technology wise) ... therefore that begs the question of why? Especially in regard to productivity... because what does the Vision Pro do that today's technology cannot?

Because Apple sells monitors, and this can act as a monitor for your Mac? So... what would be the purpose of buying the Apple Studio? I totally get it from the standpoint of watching movies... but the only person will be able to enjoy it is that one individual.

And then there's the new iPad Pro coming out at the beginning of the year... alongside the Vision Pro, consumers will have to choose... right? I wouldn't mind trying out the Vision Pro, but I personally wouldn't buy it over an OLED iPad Pro.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Have decided that the OnePlus is better than the Fold imo. It just more portable and easier to use and has one of the best screens out there!

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Anyone picked up the new Honor V2 Global Rom yet? Wondering how smooth it is compared to the Chinese Rom version?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Based on the leaks... it appears Samsung has decided to go in the direction of the Pixel Fold aspect ratio where it unfolds into landscape. Because that outer (cover) display is really wide.
interesting

seems they have took things on board. also seems the crease will be less

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
interesting

seems they have took things on board. also seems the crease will be less
Interesting... indeed! I'm glad we have legit pictures to go with the rumors… but judging on the images Samsung has opted to not have a silo for the S-Pen.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

Based on the leaks... it appears Samsung has decided to go in the direction of the Pixel Fold aspect ratio where it unfolds into landscape. Because that outer (cover) display is really wide.

is this not too wide?

i have always liked it thinner

perhaps give us options

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
is this not too wide?

perhaps give us options
No, I don't think so. For a few years, I've been a Fold 3, 4, and 5 user. Even though I've liked them, having a wider front screen will be very welcome. Now, I have the S24U and it is so much wider than the Fold 5 and it is beneficial, especially for texting. Now, let's make the outer screen spen compatible!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
is this not too wide?

perhaps give us options
Well, my preference might differ from others… because I like the Pixel Fold approach.

With the outer (cover) display being wider it allows for a default landscape orientation when using the inner display, which I think landscape is a more optimal viewing experience. For instance, Google Keep on the Galaxy Fold… only have a two column layout when it’s viewed in landscape.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Well, my preference might differ from others… because I like the Pixel Fold approach.

With the outer (cover) display being wider it allows for a default landscape orientation when using the inner display, which I think landscape is a more optimal viewing experience. For instance, Google Keep on the Galaxy Fold… only have a two column layout when it’s viewed in landscape.
Will it be comfortable to hold by the ear when talking on the phone?

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
No, I don't think so. For a few years, I've been a Fold 3, 4, and 5 user. Even though I've liked them, having a wider front screen will be very welcome. Now, I have the S24U and it is so much wider than the Fold 5 and it is beneficial, especially for texting. Now, let's make the outer screen spen compatible!
Will you be keeping the 24 Ultra when the Fold 6 lands in a few months?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.