Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
Hi all;

as all European users know we have EU volume limits on our devices. Most uf us are complaining from this

if you have one yellow 6 red bars on your headphone volume hud, you have the limit, and no way to exceed it, full volume is also lower than american devices, we can not use it on full capability..unfortunately

modding celestial plist as <key>volumeLimits</key> <dict> <key>Headphone</key> <real>1.25</real> </dict> was working on ios 9,it was modding the hud a 8 red bars instead of 6 and the limit was gone..they patched,changed the way of the file, or banned it for modding. now this method is not working with ibackupbot.

anybody find a solution, or is it working on ios 11 betas? listening to music with that limit cuts the all joy from it.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Anything wrong with the obvious option of just turning it off? Settings > Music > Volume Limit > Toggle "EU Volume Limit" off ?

This setting is present in iOS 10 and iOS 11 beta.

Reactions: Daranx and one more

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I'm still confused .... If you look at the Max. Volume bar when you toggle the setting, with it off it's at 100% and with it on it's at 75%. I'm not seeing your point with this video, just toggle the setting off to get 100% volume.

VSG

Contributor
Aug 9, 2014
If it's actually too low for you, I suggest doing two things:

1. Disable the toggle "EU Volume Limit",
2. In iTunes before syncing music to your device, make it a habit to manually adjust the volume for each album to (almost) +100 %. It's set to the 0 % (no volume enhancement) by default. You can reach this via context-click > Information > Options > Volume Adjustment on each song/album.

If both aren't enough for you, look out for a headset that amplifies volume (there are some).
And if that still isn't, I'd schedule an appointment with an otologist. ;)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The OP claims that iPhones sold in the EU have a lower maximum volume regardless of the volume-limit toggle. I concur with the otologist remark.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Nonsense.... Europe here and screenshot from settings
e0482d604a314876a771a0f18ee3303f.jpg

Johnluke91

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Italy
I confirm what was said by Makale. iPhones sold in the European Union (i'm italian) have a limit on the maximum volume on headphones because of a law. The sound cannot exceed 100 decibels, while the iPhone does not Europeans arrive at 120 decibels. The iPad is not involved as it is not sold with headphones in the box; in fact I'd rather listen to music from my iPad when I can.

To Makale: I haven't installed iOS 11 beta on my iPhone but ibackupbot hasn't added support for this version, so I don't know if it will work at the moment.

Reactions: racerhomie

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
I confirm what was said by Makale. iPhones sold in the European Union (i'm italian) have a limit on the maximum volume on headphones because of a law. The sound cannot exceed 100 decibels, while the iPhone does not Europeans arrive at 120 decibels. The iPad is not involved as it is not sold with headphones in the box; in fact I'd rather listen to music from my iPad when I can.

To Makale: I haven't installed iOS 11 beta on my iPhone but ibackupbot hasn't added support for this version, so I don't know if it will work at the moment.

at last somebody got the main point :)

i'm searching to find a way to dismiss that internal limit of eu devices,but none of these tricks worked (ibackupbot)

i wonder if it's possible to do it on ios 11 betas, but on the other side, i think about, they banned it on ios 10, no way to leave it free on ios 11

elfary

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
There are two limits enforced in the EU:

85 decibles (user removable)
100 decibels (non user removable)

Both measured with bundled earphones.

iOS EU LIMIT DISABLE toggle removes the 85 decibels limit. Not the 100 decibels one.

That means that no EU iPhone headphone port will sound as loud as an EU iPad (those are not capped cause the are not sold with bundled earphones). Plus EU iPhones have colored volume squares and iPads do not.

That's the way it is. CENELEC has the regulations publicly available.

EU iPhones -> 0'5 volts with no load
Non EU iPhones -> 1 volt with no load

End of story.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
European iPhones also have this annoying high volume pop up which lights up the screen everytime you change the volume when its above 60% (?).

hated it, because it always stayed on for 10+ seconds. this and no ugly huge CE logos on the back of the device were one of the reasons to get an US iPhone 7 Plus. being over 100 bucks cheaper also helped haha

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
European iPhones also have this annoying high volume pop up which lights up the screen everytime you change the volume when its above 60% (?).

hated it, because it always stayed on for 10+ seconds. this and no ugly huge CE logos on the back of the device were one of the reasons to get an US iPhone 7 Plus. being over 100 bucks cheaper also helped haha

Only for that reason, i'll buy non Eu device. It's hard to find them in turkey but anyway :)

Did you try that method on iOS 11 betas? I mentioned on my first post

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
The reason why it is so important to me is that I've been listening just 2 nots ahead of the “EU recommended level” (the first red one, if you use the EarPods that come with the device. However, I'm finding it extremely low in most situations. The reason I'm doing it is because I'm trying to avoid permanent hearing impairment, and the “2 knots above the recommended level” (I use it with the Bass Booster on, which makes the sound lower - that's why I don't mind going above the recommended level for long listening sessions). Still, in case the AirPods are NOT bound by the 100 decibels, then by using it on that level I may be causing damage to my hearing... I'm quite torn apart about this... I really appreicate your help, guys.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
The reason why it is so important to me is that I've been listening just 2 nots ahead of the “EU recommended level” (the first red one, if you use the EarPods that come with the device. However, I'm finding it extremely low in most situations. The reason I'm doing it is because I'm trying to avoid permanent hearing impairment, and the “2 knots above the recommended level” (I use it with the Bass Booster on, which makes the sound lower - that's why I don't mind going above the recommended level for long listening sessions). Still, in case the AirPods are NOT bound by the 100 decibels, then by using it on that level I may be causing damage to my hearing... I'm quite torn apart about this... I really appreicate your help, guys.

So can we say AirPods are louder than wired headphones? Because that limit is only for wired headphones I think. There is no warning or colored hud on Bluetooth headphone level. That makes me confused

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
If I remember correctly you have the same limit on the Lightning to headphone/minijack-adapter as well. The part number on the one sold in the EU is different from the one sold in the US and I think someone tested it and confirmed that the amplification was weaker on the EU one compared to the US one.

I don't think this is affecting bluetooth headphones as they are sold separately. This rule seems to only apply to devices that are bundled with earphones/headphones. As long as it's sold separately the same laws does not apply and as bluetooth earphones like the AirPods do all the amplification on the buds themselves there is no reason why they should have the same limits. But who really knows.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
If I remember correctly you have the same limit on the Lightning to headphone/minijack-adapter as well. The part number on the one sold in the EU is different from the one sold in the US and I think someone tested it and confirmed that the amplification was weaker on the EU one compared to the US one.

I don't think this is affecting bluetooth headphones as they are sold separately. This rule seems to only apply to devices that are bundled with earphones/headphones. As long as it's sold separately the same laws does not apply and as bluetooth earphones like the AirPods do all the amplification on the buds themselves there is no reason why they should have the same limits. But who really knows.

if someone can test the difference, we can be sure about it :)

Johnluke91

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Italy
At the end of August I'll try the AirPods and I will tell the difference of sound maximum between iPhone and iPad.
However I don't think with the AirPods volume will be more powerful because the volume limit EU is in iPhone software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.