Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
Yeah I can’t do that. I listen to podcasts most of the day at work on my AirPods. I just keep my charger at work and give it a quick charge before I head to the gym. It’s not looking good for a public beta this week since there is no developer beta as of yet.

Yeah, you are right … I lost track of the Public Beta cadence … I can live without the Bluetooth during the day … turning it off on the phone still seems to help.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I am running the latest ios 13 public beta and watch 5.3. I turned off Bluetooth on my phone and that seems to be helping. Prior to that I had to put the watch in airplane mode … hopefully a new public beta drops today.

Yeah but your watch is getting disconnected from your phone every time you leave a WiFi network.

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
Yeah but your watch is getting disconnected from your phone every time you leave a WiFi network.
Yes, but so far it seems to be work fine … I am at work and running through a VPN on my phone wifi and the watch is still connected to the phone with blue tooth off nearly 100% of the time. I would say the battery drain on the watch still appears to be back to normal.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
So one of my other co-workers who has been using iOS 13 Beta 5 with WatchOS 5.3 since last week, and who has been pretty upset that he's had to charge it halfway through the work day, and then again at some point overnight, due to the poor battery life, decided to install the latest WatchOS Beta. His battery life seems to be a little bit better (standby and usage times are about an hour or so apart, as he just installed the WatchOS beta a couple of hours ago). Now, however in the Health app, it's saying that "This Apple Watch is no longer paired with this iPhone" and he's not sure if it's even recording/logging any of his activity, etc.

I recall that I had this same issue when I was using WatchOS 6 Beta where it also showed that in the Health app (I think it was still however tracking activity, etc.).

I am debating installing the WatchOS Beta again, as I can't imagine there's more than 1 1/2 month +/- before both WatchOS 6 and iOS 13 will be released (how complete or stable it will be is another thing, and likely won't be "ready for prime time" until it hits 13.1 or so).

Anyhow, anyone who is running the iOS 5 Beta and WatchOS 6 Beta, can you check in the health app under devices and see if it shows your watch as "This Apple Watch is no longer paired with this iPhone".

Thanks.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
So one of my other co-workers who has been using iOS 13 Beta 5 with WatchOS 5.3 since last week, and who has been pretty upset that he's had to charge it halfway through the work day, and then again at some point overnight, due to the poor battery life, decided to install the latest WatchOS Beta. His battery life seems to be a little bit better (standby and usage times are about an hour or so apart, as he just installed the WatchOS beta a couple of hours ago). Now, however in the Health app, it's saying that "This Apple Watch is no longer paired with this iPhone" and he's not sure if it's even recording/logging any of his activity, etc.

I recall that I had this same issue when I was using WatchOS 6 Beta where it also showed that in the Health app (I think it was still however tracking activity, etc.).

I am debating installing the WatchOS Beta again, as I can't imagine there's more than 1 1/2 month +/- before both WatchOS 6 and iOS 13 will be released (how complete or stable it will be is another thing, and likely won't be "ready for prime time" until it hits 13.1 or so).

Anyhow, anyone who is running the iOS 5 Beta and WatchOS 6 Beta, can you check in the health app under devices and see if it shows your watch as "This Apple Watch is no longer paired with this iPhone".

Thanks.
I only installed watchOS few hours ago too as I was having really poor battery on iPhone.
Under devices my watch is paired but also it shows my old watch as “ this watch is not paired” which was not there earlier so maybe your colleague is seeing that.

my watch is paired and data is being recorded as far as I can see.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I only installed watchOS few hours ago too as I was having really poor battery on iPhone.
Under devices my watch is paired but also it shows my old watch as “ this watch is not paired” which was not there earlier so maybe your colleague is seeing that.

my watch is paired and data is being recorded as far as I can see.

Thanks. So is the watch that is tracking activity saying it isnt paired, or is one (current) showing as paired and just your old watch showing as not paired? He has rebooted (both normal and hard reboots of both devices) and watch still says not paired in Health app but it is actually tracking his activity it seems.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks. So is the watch that is tracking activity saying it isnt paired, or is one (current) showing as paired and just your old watch showing as not paired? He has rebooted (both normal and hard reboots of both devices) and watch still says not paired in Health app but it is actually tracking his activity it seems.
Old watch is not showing paired which is right , the watch tracking activity (current) is working fine.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Stumbled on this thread and found it timely as I checked my watch last night and was down to 14%. Normally, at the end of a day I am around 50%. Could not figure out what changed but this makes sense as I am running the latest beta on my iPhone.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I finally had to break down and install watch os 6 beta that’s how bad it got for me :(

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I have a Series 3 and I'm not having any issues with battery drain. However, when I upgraded to PB3, I ran into a weird bug where my watch was unpaired and it got stuck at pairing. Ended up having to setup watch as new to get it to pair. Haven't had any issues since.

And my Series 3 flies now. Siri, Raise to Speak, Voice to Text are almost immediate. Before I would always get the 'Hold....I'll tap you when ready".

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Well, here's to hoping iOS 13 Beta 6 fixes this issue. I should know in an hour or so (I imagine I'll see watch battery usage/standby either working right, or still working all wonky). If that's the case, I may just bounce to the new WatchOS beta as well, since *maybe* we're going weekly now.

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Well, here's to hoping iOS 13 Beta 6 fixes this issue. I should know in an hour or so (I imagine I'll see watch battery usage/standby either working right, or still working all wonky). If that's the case, I may just bounce to the new WatchOS beta as well, since *maybe* we're going weekly now.

Let’s us know please. We should get the PB tomorrow I’m guessing.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Let’s us know please. We should get the PB tomorrow I’m guessing.
Will do, Mac had to get some update or another (not running MacOS beta so guess it was something else) and downloading the IPSW since I always try to update via iTunes (always paranoid about a botched OTA). Should be able to update in an hour, as I imagine I'll know if usage/standby times are staying the same, or different (as they should be).

Edit: Taking watch off charger in 4 minutes (12:00 PM my time). Will wear it for about 20 minutes as normal, and see if standby/usage times are the same, if they are, I can only deduce that the issue hasn't been fixed, if the two amounts vary (by hopefully a large number) then I assume it'd be safe to say it has been (hopefully) fixed.

Will update in 20 or so.

Edit 2: So I'm impatient, haha and checked the Watch app, it's showing 1 minute usage 5 minutes standby, so I *assume* that it has been fixed. I'll wait a bit longer to make sure, but early testing says it has been (as all my previous tests had usage/standby at the same amount or off by 1-2 minutes).

Last edited:

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Will do, Mac had to get some update or another (not running MacOS beta so guess it was something else) and downloading the IPSW since I always try to update via iTunes (always paranoid about a botched OTA). Should be able to update in an hour, as I imagine I'll know if usage/standby times are staying the same, or different (as they should be).

Edit: Taking watch off charger in 4 minutes (12:00 PM my time). Will wear it for about 20 minutes as normal, and see if standby/usage times are the same, if they are, I can only deduce that the issue hasn't been fixed, if the two amounts vary (by hopefully a large number) then I assume it'd be safe to say it has been (hopefully) fixed.

Will update in 20 or so.

Edit 2: So I'm impatient, haha and checked the Watch app, it's showing 1 minute usage 5 minutes standby, so I *assume* that it has been fixed. I'll wait a bit longer to make sure, but early testing says it has been (as all my previous tests had usage/standby at the same amount or off by 1-2 minutes).

Thanks. Seems like you and I have the same level of patience with our tech.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Thanks. Seems like you and I have the same level of patience with our tech.
Well it's that and two co-workers who keep pestering me about it, one jumped to WatchOS Beta yesterday I think, and seems all upset now that it may be fixed. He's been having some sort of problem (so he says) with the Beta, and asked me if I can downgrade his watch for him now (I told him a dozen times it can't be done, and he has to take it to Apple -- unfortunately right now, nobody really wants to go near our Apple store, due to it's location, and recent events).

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Well it's that and two co-workers who keep pestering me about it, one jumped to WatchOS Beta yesterday I think, and seems all upset now that it may be fixed. He's been having some sort of problem (so he says) with the Beta, and asked me if I can downgrade his watch for him now (I told him a dozen times it can't be done, and he has to take it to Apple -- unfortunately right now, nobody really wants to go near our Apple store, due to it's location, and recent events).

Yeah no way I jump to the watch beta. I’ll just keep a watch charger handy until the issue is resolved.

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
I installed the developer beta 6 and it definitely fixed the problem with watchOS 5.3. It’s day and night. With the previous beta I was getting 3 times more the battery drain. It would drain 30 to 40% during the night. Yesterday I updated it and this night only drained 4%.

the sad part about it was that I reported this bug to Apple and not a single action was made to my report. Still untouched.

Reactions: Dwood1970

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I installed the developer beta 6 and it definitely fixed the problem with watchOS 5.3. It’s day and night. With the previous beta I was getting 3 times more the battery drain. It would drain 30 to 40% during the night. Yesterday I updated it and this night only drained 4%.

the sad part about it was that I reported this bug to Apple and not a single action was made to my report. Still untouched.

It sounds like the action taken was to release Developer 6 and shortly PB4 which from early signs may have fixed the issue.

That’s the thing with Betas though, it may become broken again in the next one (hopefully not though).

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012

I’m sure so many people reported that issue that it was to hard for them to respond to all the reports. Hey at least they fixed it so they must’ve been paying attention to the complaints

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

O’DoyleRules

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
I’m sure so many people reported that issue that it was to hard for them to respond to all the reports. Hey at least they fixed it so they must’ve been paying attention to the complaints

I’m sure it’s also to avoid the bad press. While a beta, a bad bug gets people complaining on Twitter and other social media, and then people who don’t understand what a beta is and entails takes it the wrong way as Apple quality going down, or something. I kind of remember that happening a few years ago. I forgot what the issue was but I remember a ton of complaints on Twitter about it. Better for Apple to knock out the issue quickly to prevent that.

DarkSorrow82

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2016
Minocqua, WI
I updated to the latest beta last night on my watch before bed. My watch was at 100%. I woke up and it was completely dead. It went down 100% over night. I stream Spotify when I sleep on my phone so not sure why the watch would have the controls on it in the background. It usually only used 1-5% before over night. Sometimes I could wake up and it would still be on 100%!!

O’DoyleRules

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
I updated to the latest beta last night on my watch before bed. My watch was at 100%. I woke up and it was completely dead. It went down 100% over night. I stream Spotify when I sleep on my phone so not sure why the watch would have the controls on it in the background. It usually only used 1-5% before over night. Sometimes I could wake up and it would still be on 100%!!

Latest watchOS 6 beta? Or iOS 13 beta?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.