Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
One of my co-workers who insisted on installing WatchOS 6 Beta dropped his watch off at Apple this morning to have it sent back to be downgraded. The other co-worker who updated last week is still on WatchOS Beta 5 I believe, and is still having the message in the Health app saying that his watch is no longer paired with his iPhone (it seems it is tracking activity, etc.) but he's paranoid that he'll loose his stats or whatever -- for those who are using the beta of WatchOS (whether it's Beta 5 or Beta 6) in the Health app on your phone, does it show under devices that your watch is no longer paired with this device (it says "this apple watch is no longer paired with this iPhone").

He's debating upgrading to WatchOS Beta 6, as he doesn't want to send his watch back, so I figured I'd ask here to let him know. I told both of these guys it was a bad idea (since I had issues with the earlier betas, which I knew could have been the case), but they didn't listen. :/

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
One of my co-workers who insisted on installing WatchOS 6 Beta dropped his watch off at Apple this morning to have it sent back to be downgraded. The other co-worker who updated last week is still on WatchOS Beta 5 I believe, and is still having the message in the Health app saying that his watch is no longer paired with his iPhone (it seems it is tracking activity, etc.) but he's paranoid that he'll loose his stats or whatever -- for those who are using the beta of WatchOS (whether it's Beta 5 or Beta 6) in the Health app on your phone, does it show under devices that your watch is no longer paired with this device (it says "this apple watch is no longer paired with this iPhone").

He's debating upgrading to WatchOS Beta 6, as he doesn't want to send his watch back, so I figured I'd ask here to let him know. I told both of these guys it was a bad idea (since I had issues with the earlier betas, which I knew could have been the case), but they didn't listen. :/

So now that you’re had the newest beta overnight are you still thinking the watch 5.3 problem is fixed?

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
So now that you’re had the newest beta overnight are you still thinking the watch 5.3 problem is fixed?
Pretty sure, took watch of charger around 12:00 PM yesterday, and when I woke up this morning, about 7:00 I was at 64% so after 19 hours, I dropped from 100% to 64%, whereas for the short period I used the previous iOS Beta it'd have been stone cold dead well before those 19 hours.

Now I'm stuck fiddling with my co-workers watches -- one is without his until Saturday (if he's lucky -- they told him at Apple he should have it back Saturday), and the other who we're just going to update to the newest WatchOS Beta since he was on 5 already. But overall, yeah I think the issue between iOS 13 and WatchOS 5.3 was fixed - hoping it stays that way and they don't break it again on the next beta.

Reactions: Dwood1970

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Pretty sure, took watch of charger around 12:00 PM yesterday, and when I woke up this morning, about 7:00 I was at 64% so after 19 hours, I dropped from 100% to 64%, whereas for the short period I used the previous iOS Beta it'd have been stone cold dead well before those 19 hours.

Now I'm stuck fiddling with my co-workers watches -- one is without his until Saturday (if he's lucky -- they told him at Apple he should have it back Saturday), and the other who we're just going to update to the newest WatchOS Beta since he was on 5 already. But overall, yeah I think the issue between iOS 13 and WatchOS 5.3 was fixed - hoping it stays that way and they don't break it again on the next beta.
Interesting. Are you on Dev or Public beta? I want to put my iPhone and iPad on the Public beta but leave my Apple Watch on stock OS. I don’t want to do this if significant AW battery drain is likely.

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012

Great thanks for the update

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Interesting. Are you on Dev or Public beta? I want to put my iPhone and iPad on the Public beta but leave my Apple Watch on stock OS. I don’t want to do this if significant AW battery drain is likely.
Developer beta, Public Beta 5 and Developer Beta 6 are exactly the same, aside from being released a day, or sometimes hours later, as they get closer to final release.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Can I stay stock on AW OS?
Yes, the issue that was happening was related to iOS 13 Beta 5 and it was causing extreme drain on Apple Watches (seems to be more Series 4 than any other) that were on WatchOS 5.3. iOS 13 Beta 6 seems to have fixed that drain, and you can safely use WatchOS 5.3 with iOS 13 Betas. Ideally, hopefully Apple won't take a step backwards and break it again on the next release of iOS 13 but for now, it's working as expected.

Reactions: PBz and Dwood1970

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Yes, the issue that was happening was related to iOS 13 Beta 5 and it was causing extreme drain on Apple Watches (seems to be more Series 4 than any other) that were on WatchOS 5.3. iOS 13 Beta 6 seems to have fixed that drain, and you can safely use WatchOS 5.3 with iOS 13 Betas. Ideally, hopefully Apple won't take a step backwards and break it again on the next release of iOS 13 but for now, it's working as expected.

I will definitely be waiting to move to PB6 to see if the issues rears it’s ugly head again.

danipersing

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Greenacres, WA

For some reason, I have 7 watches listed under the device section, plus my iPhone. The 4th one down is connected, but all the others say “‘this Apple Watch is no longer paired…”

(Running Watch beta 6)

Attachments

• 6A85D6DD-26D9-457C-B3D2-53DEC640F332.png
    6A85D6DD-26D9-457C-B3D2-53DEC640F332.png
    418.9 KB · Views: 127

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
My drain is gone. I restarted the watch and took it off the charger about 3 hours ago and it’s still at 100%. PB5 and WatchOS 5.3

Reactions: dk001

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
PB5 also fixed battery drain for me too. I restarted the watch as soon as PB5 had installed and let both watch and phone charge overnight.

Reactions: dk001

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
I installed the latest ios 13 Public BETA yesterday ... and I have had my watch on since 6 AM (10:30AM now) .. and I am down to 85% on the watch. Watch is running 5.3.

I would say that I am seeing an improvement in battery life on the watch since the last public ios beta.

I have a the latest watch - GEN 4 with cellular.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwood1970

blotto80

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2012
Houston, TX
Latest PB seems to have fixed the battery issues for me. I wear my watch to bed, before i would go to bed with 100% battery and wake up to about 55% battery left, this morning i woke up to 94% battery left. Only thing that changed was that i updated to latest public beta. Will keep an eye on it throughout the day, but so far so good.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Latest PB has fixed my battery issues as well. Off the charger since 6AM and currently at 85%, Series 4 with cellular. Last PB I would be around 60-65% right now so thank god it's fixed. Hopefully it doesn't go back when the next beta is released.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Hope it maintains but my battery life on both the iPhone XR & the Series 4 Watch are astounding on iOS 13 DB6/PB5 and WatchOS 5.3.

Standby 21hrs 49
Usage 1hr 44

74%

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN

mine does the same thing. Says it’s no longer paired, yet still tracks everything, while one that says IS connected doesn’t track anything..

Attachments

• 88777471-7B1A-4299-A951-B2674B597BB9.png
    88777471-7B1A-4299-A951-B2674B597BB9.png
    423.5 KB · Views: 118
  • CEB39220-AB50-41DC-BE56-DFECF591B74F.png
    CEB39220-AB50-41DC-BE56-DFECF591B74F.png
    296.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 8FC6861B-5902-4DE9-8118-F78D3CBB4B75.png
    8FC6861B-5902-4DE9-8118-F78D3CBB4B75.png
    586.7 KB · Views: 118
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.