Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Hey I havent been on here in ages but here is where I'm coming from before everyone jumps down my neck for saying the slightest thing against the upcoming phone. Ive been an apple fan boy since the Iphone 3g, and have had an Iphone ever since, I've been rolling with my Iphone 4s since the release and it works, no flashy stuff, nothing exciting and Siri doesnt work in Canada so it really is useless (apparent ios 6 will enable location based requests in Canada).

With that said, I've been upset with the last two releases of iOS, Android has made leaps and bounds and seemingly have started to set the tone for the future of features in the phone of the future. It's hard for apple to be able to keep up with merging companies and continue to keep on top of the world when they can only release a major update once a year.

Expectations for the new phone are minimal at best, a slightly redesign of a larger screen is almost laughable, a few cm taller would not entice anyone to get a whole new phone. a better camera was done with the 4s and it most likely as good as its going to get for a phone camera. iOS 6 is seemingly the exact same iOS with a few small tweaks and changes from google maps to 3D turn by turn.. (all is free with android btw).

Ive been wanting widgets and a better homes screen for three years now, but to no avail its not going to come. I know there is going to be a massive purchase point for this new Iphone, but dont kid yourself and say that its the best thing on the market, because it just isnt anymore. I'm struggling to say I will get the new phone because I've been there since day 2, but after seeing the Galaxy SIII and the features and the functionality.. its hard to look for apple to blow my socks off.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
These are my thoughts exactly. Plus, iPhones are too expensive for storage space. I have 16GB of music, and to get a 32GB phone for 300 bucks is not reasonable, when I can upgrade a 16GB Galaxy S3 to 80GB for 60 bucks. $260 for 80GB vs $400 for 64GB is just not practical.

Also, in before all the apple fanboys tell us to leave because we're not worshipping Apple like a deity anymore. :rolleyes:

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
These are my thoughts exactly. Plus, iPhones are too expensive for storage space. I have 16GB of music, and to get a 32GB phone for 300 bucks is not reasonable, when I can upgrade a 16GB Galaxy S3 to 80GB for 60 bucks. $260 for 80GB vs $400 for 64GB is just not practical.

Also, in before all the apple fanboys tell us to leave because we're not worshipping Apple like a deity anymore. :rolleyes:

this is true I dont know how the Galaxy SIII is only $99 for a 3year contract..

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I think you guys expect your opinions to be received with vitriol, when, if anything, your opinions are quite common.

So - "cool story bro" :)

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
this is true I dont know how the Galaxy SIII is only $99 for a 3year contract..

Because samsung arn't interested in ripping us off!!!...a 64gb 4S is £700 here in the UK...ridiculous!!!!...my S3 cost me nothing and £30 a month all you can use, better phone, better price, cant see the next isheep being any better than the S3, but im sure the lemmings will follow....:rolleyes:

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I think you guys expect your opinions to be received with vitriol, when, if anything, your opinions are quite common.

So - "cool story bro" :)

so then what do you feel apple needs to do to keep us already fanboys on board?

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Widgets. Seem dumb. What's the purpose.

instant quick views of info instead of going into the app.. weather widget facebook widget RRS feeds of your interest widgets... just cause you dont have them u dont know what your missing

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I've seen widgets for years on Windows and other places. Have never used them

well there is a reason why they are on "windows and other places" because people want them and do use them...

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
instant quick views of info instead of going into the app.. weather widget facebook widget RRS feeds of your interest widgets... just cause you dont have them u dont know what your missing

That's a bunch of crap, I have a Nexus 7, I could completely do without them.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
I see it as you've got two options.

1. Jump ship to an android device with all those features

2. Don't upgrade your phone every year. This means upgrading will feel more monumental with a variety of new features both in software and hardware. My phone is the original iPhone so upgrading to the 5 will be amazing for me! :)

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Because samsung arn't interested in ripping us off!!!...a 64gb 4S is £700 here in the UK...ridiculous!!!!...my S3 cost me nothing and £30 a month all you can use, better phone, better price, cant see the next isheep being any better than the S3, but im sure the lemmings will follow....:rolleyes:

£700 = $1120

I know its almost the price of a entry level iMac / MBP / MBA :eek:

Who you with btw to get £30 unlimited data?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Your thread title is misleading.

Going by your post, you're far from excited. If anything, it sounds like you're already disappointed and looking for any excuse (valid or not) to praise Android.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Introducing the iPhone 5: Basically what we should have given you last year.

Every year again:rolleyes:

...unfortunatly. I totally agree in that apple needs to put in some real changes now. Tactile feedback, better battery, that height/pressure sensor like the s3 has, touch sensitive backplate, illuminated apple logo with option to turn off....a processor with ram and gpu hat small and strong that it doesnt take alot of battery but does give us games wich are really console like,and alot other options wich a company like apple could easily implent.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I think the home screen is ok, and the multitasking tray and notification center could use some updating. The lock screen though is terrible and could be updated nicely.

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
There seem to be many people here that feel like Apple NEEDS to make wholesale changes to iOS to compete with the latest version of Android. For the type of people here, that would be perfectly fine but we are not really the audience that Apple is catering to. They are marketing to the masses and changing the look and feel of iOS is likely to cause confusion and complaints from people that have iPhones but are not tech savvy.

Personally, I wish that Apple would include the ability to attach files from a webdav or iCloud to an email (like AnyAttach) but it doesn't look like that is ever going to happen.

plymman

macrumors member
May 9, 2010
Widgets. Seem dumb. What's the purpose.

I like being able to just take a quick glance at the screen and see the weather forecast, news headlines, facebook updates, football scores etc.. without having to open 4 or 5 separate apps. One quick glance at the screen keeps me up to date.

Maybe having been an iPhone user for four years now I'm just expecting too much but for me the IOS homescreen has become very limited and dated.

The other issue I have being a UK user is that every iPhone release is US centric. For example SIRI couldn't access location services which made it next to useless for my needs, it looks like it'll be working this autumn, one whole year after the launch. The new iPhone is rumoured to have LTE which isn't available in the UK. We plan to have 98% LTE coverage by the end of 2017. Another possibility is NFC, again something that we just don't have the infrastructure, or the use for, yet. We pay the price but lack the benefits.

I know we're only a small country but if some of the major selling points aren't applicable to us, what is left to tempt us?

Last edited:

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
For people wanting widgets you can always jailbreak and download Dashboard X.

Looks like it works fantastically.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

That wouldn't be my reason to tell you to leave.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't simply buy what gives you everything, or at least most of, what you are looking for.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

So because I prefer my iPhone to my S3 AND plan on buying the i5 when it comes out I'm a lemming. For me it's not about economics, I can afford any phone I wish to purchase any time I want to purchase it. I prefer iPhone and the ecosystem. So don't hate on others simply because they can afford a new iPhone every year.... hell I may just buy 5 of them this year just because I can. You keep your free S3 and enjoy it and don't worry what others purchase.

I have every one of those things you listed on my iPhone sooooo what exactly am I missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.