Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Despite the above, it is well known that Apple do charge a premium for their devices. I'd take plastic and knock a few £100 off the price. You are paying extra as its considered 'cool' and your purchase is getting you free access into the 'Hip Club'.

You are certainly not paying a premium for premium features.

I'm not arguing that point. I was correcting a member who falsified his argument by comparing the cost of a SIM free 4S to a contract S3, which is grossly misleading.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Funny, I had my iPhone out showing my wife something (she has an old slider LG phone but is considering moving up to a 'smart' phone). I told her the new iPhone 5 is coming out and it has a taller screen, but not wider. Now she's not starry-eyed over smart phones and thinks their use is over blown, but she just looked at me and said "why the hell would they just go taller? What's the point?".

She agreed it is like needing a bigger office and they come in and just raise the ceiling.

So there's your man-on-the-street reaction. Not a lot of excitement in the Sedrick household.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
No not the man, simply can't stand when others worry about how I spend my hard earned money. That's one of the propblems with the American society. Every one feels the need to put their nose in other's business. I have 6 people on my account, with 5 upgrades up coming and have no issue paying for 5 upgrades. Don't hate me simply because I spent many years of my life with no money earning my education and now that I am established, want to spend my money the way I want.

Your argument is so filled with horse crap it's ridiculous. Same tired complaint every time. It looks nothing like a 4s, and no matter how much you and others say it, it simply won't make it true. You do know what the real joke is don't you? It's that people like yourself keep saying the same crap over and over again when it's clearly not true. My 7 year old can tell the difference between my 4s and pictures of the i5, why can't you and those that think like you?
If you don't like the new design tha's one thing, flat out lying about that design is another.

If you hate android so much why do you feel the need to even browse this forum? Is it perhaps you enjoy trolling the crowd over here? I think so.

----------

I don't hate anyone for spending their money how they see fit. I've got plenty, but I'm not about to announce it to everyone. Makes me look like a douchebag if I did.

In my experience the folks that like to brag about how much money they have are usually the ones that are most insecure. They think having more money means their opinion matters more than yours. In reality, its just how you stated it.

----------

Funny, I had my iPhone out showing my wife something (she has an old slider LG phone but is considering moving up to a 'smart' phone). I told her the new iPhone 5 is coming out and it has a taller screen, but not wider. Now she's not starry-eyed over smart phones and thinks their use is over blown, but she just looked at me and said "why the hell would they just go taller? What's the point?".

She agreed it is like needing a bigger office and they come in and just raise the ceiling.

So there's your man-on-the-street reaction. Not a lot of excitement in the Sedrick household.

If the rumors of this phone are true the reaction is going to be one of a large angry crowd over the changing of the connector at the bottom of the phone. Do you know how many cars, stereos, alarm clocks, etc have that connector? They'll be an adapter sure, but its one more freaking accessory that you have to buy from apple, if the adapter even makes it work. A lot of these accessories have built in docks which won't work anymore.

Last edited:

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
In my experience the folks that like to brag about how much money they have are usually the ones that are most insecure. They having more money means their opinion matters more than yours. In reality, its just how you stated it.

That's been my experience. Saying stupid things like "I may buy 5 phones just because I can" doesn't impress me, nor should it impress anyone. The OP can claim he's not trying to impress anyone, but you don't make a comment like that unless your trying to purport you're rich. It's like my idiot brother-in-law, he doesn't have a pot to piss in or two nickles to rub together, but he makes it clear to everyone how much X cost him. You look like an *******.

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I guess what the concensus is, that the expectations for this new iPhone are fairly low accross the board. I understand that they need to change the 5 year-old connector cause its definately limited in speeds, as well they dont want to make it wider because of all the accessories that will need to change..

with that said making it taller is the only viable option, however they are pigon-holeing themselves, if they created a completely new bigger iPhone, the rest of the world will make new accessories to accomodate that. them trying to stay with the same accessories for 5 years is insane.

Take samsung for example, they have tons of new phones and all dont have the same operating system, thats just how it is and people accept that. If apple came out with a whole new design the rest of the world would accept that and realize that its time for change...

iOS 6 looks like it has nothing new to add, which is really upsetting but I'm still going to wait to be impressed on wedensday.

their whole twitter integration was a JOKE, Siri didnt work anywhere but the USA and iCloud was a waste of energy and hard drive space... what can they waste their time in trying to get us excited about this time?

ohhhh I know I know facebook integration... Oh Yeah thats what I'll upgrade the OS for!

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
What exactly do you guys want from the next iPhone? If your response is a something in the lines of a larger 4.3 inch display, widgets, hardcore features of Android, inordinate amount of customization, then you have to realize that Apple isn't making the iPhone for you. It's not their strategy, and they've never been wont to satisfy power users. Either jailbreak or get an Android phone.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
What exactly do you guys want from the next iPhone? If your response is a something in the lines of a larger 4.3 inch display, widgets, hardcore features of Android, inordinate amount of customization, then you have to realize that Apple isn't making the iPhone for you. It's not their strategy, and they've never been wont to satisfy power users. Either jailbreak or get an Android phone.

It is the expectation that Apple will deliver something out of this world. The first iPhone hit everything out of the park, it was cutting edge, the iPhone 4 was just a beautiful phone, who would have thought to have glass front and back? It also was at the top end of the scale, a marvellous device, innovative and different.

Thats what people want, they want Apple to continue what they started, they want innovation, they want something new, they want this phone to look down on all other phones with disdain.

Unfortunately, the leaks so far suggest that Apple are happy to be on a par with other phone manufacturers, they know that this phone will sell in massive numbers, but that is no excuse for being the same old, same old. These leaks suggest that, that is what will happen. I don't want Apple like this, I want them on top, but, and this is a big but, doesn't look like it this time.

The trouble is that it will sell in massive numbers, so it gives Apple no incentive, they will look at their sales numbers, pat themselves on the back and just be normal, just like everyone else. It's a shame, it really is.

I love my SGS3, but if Apple come up with something spectacular, something better I would swap, I still have an upgrade pending, as it is though, I am looking more to Nexus or Note 2, that can't be right, I have waited in the early hours of the morning on previous releases of the iPhone outside the local store. Wont be this time, this release just doesn't excite me like others have.

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
It is the expectation that Apple will deliver something out of this world. The first iPhone hit everything out of the park, it was cutting edge, the iPhone 4 was just a beautiful phone, who would have thought to have glass front and back? It also was at the top end of the scale, a marvellous device, innovative and different.

Thats what people want, they want Apple to continue what they started, they want innovation, they want something new, they want this phone to look down on all other phones with disdain.

Unfortunately, the leaks so far suggest that Apple are happy to be on a par with other phone manufacturers, they know that this phone will sell in massive numbers, but that is no excuse for being the same old, same old. These leaks suggest that, that is what will happen. I don't want Apple like this, I want them on top, but, and this is a big but, doesn't look like it this time.

The trouble is that it will sell in massive numbers, so it gives Apple no incentive, they will look at their sales numbers, pat themselves on the back and just be normal, just like everyone else.

I don't see how the purported next-gen iPhone would be less marvelous than the iPhone 4. From how I see it, Apple revolutionized the phone industry. You can't expect them to keep knocking it out of the park every year. Nobody is capable of that. Instead, they continue to deliver a steady stream of innovation, while constantly perfecting their product.

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I don't see how the purported next-gen iPhone would be less marvelous than the iPhone 4. From how I see it, Apple revolutionized the phone industry. You can't expect them to keep knocking it out of the park every year. Nobody is capable of that. Instead, they continue to deliver a steady stream of innovation, while constantly perfecting their product.

Look, the long ang sort of it is that apple prides themselves on shocking and awwing people, lately they have gotten into this rut where they seem to be playing it simple. they came out with the all touch screen phone, that was revolutionary...

its been 5 years, we can maybe expect NFC or serious overhaul on the 5 year old Operating system. I understand they dont want to stray from the origional 4x4 icons, but some of the stuff you can do with jailbroken Iphones is awesome. Changes the whole feel of the phone with new icons, and new lockscreens etc.

its the small things that make a phone unique.. Iphone hasnt been unique in a long time.. and honestly they will stick with this new design for another 2-3 years...

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
You can't expect them to keep knocking it out of the park every year. Nobody is capable of that. Instead, they continue to deliver a steady stream of innovation, while constantly perfecting their product.

I don't, I really don't. I expect them to knock it out of the park every two years, like they have done so far. Up till now that is.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Instead, they continue to deliver a steady stream of innovation, while constantly perfecting their product.

What is the stream of innovation that you expect to see this year? Tis a bad question I know, the phone hasn't been released yet so I don't expect you to be able to answer. But if there is no "stream of innovation", will you be disappointed?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I don't, I really don't. I expect them to knock it out of the park every two years, like they have done so far. Up till now that is.

So the iPhone 3GS knocked it out of the park? The original iPhone was in development for many years and that was the only iPhone I believe truly leveled all other contenders. I think peoples' expectations of Apple are too high.

----------

What is the stream of innovation that you expect to see this year? Tis a bad question I know, the phone hasn't been released yet so I don't expect you to be able to answer. But if there is no "stream of innovation", will you be disappointed?

I have no idea. And if there isn't, I surely will be disappointed.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
So the iPhone 3GS knocked it out of the park? The original iPhone was in development for many years and that was the only iPhone I believe truly leveled all other contenders. I think peoples' expectations of Apple are too high.

----------

No, I never said that, the original iPhone did, the iPhone 4 did, 2 years later the iPhone 5 should.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
These are my thoughts exactly. Plus, iPhones are too expensive for storage space. I have 16GB of music, and to get a 32GB phone for 300 bucks is not reasonable, when I can upgrade a 16GB Galaxy S3 to 80GB for 60 bucks. $260 for 80GB vs $400 for 64GB is just not practical.

Also, in before all the apple fanboys tell us to leave because we're not worshipping Apple like a deity anymore. :rolleyes:

Exactly!

This is one of the biggest advantages of Android to me. Imagine how expensive would it be to buy the 32GB or 64 GB iPhone every time you want to upgrade, be it every year or two years. The cost becomes triple of that of an Android phone with micro SD.

I bought a 32GB micro SD for 30$. Now, every time I change phones or buy a new one, I can use it to expand the internal storage of the phone. I can even use it with a camera or tablet if I want to recycle it.

It's just crazy how expensive the 32GB version of the iPhone has become. Not to mention the 64GB... And that money and storage is lost if you upgrade afterwards to a 16GB model because you don't have more money!

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
My Iphone 4 has been doing well for 2 years. Lag is minimal. Sure apps crash occasionally, but really the only thing that is missing is a P/S type quality night shot.

Once that is solved I'm content :cool:

here's to hoping apple surprises all of us and gets a good camera in the iphone 5.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
My Iphone 4 has been doing well for 2 years. Lag is minimal. Sure apps crash occasionally, but really the only thing that is missing is a P/S type quality night shot.

Once that is solved I'm content :cool:

here's to hoping apple surprises all of us and gets a good camera in the iphone 5.

All i ask for camara is xenon flash :(

Surfheart

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010

I think you mean iteration.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
This particular subforum is for android and alternatives to iOS devices, yet you spend a fair amount of time in here trolling.... forget it you answered my question by avoiding it.

This thread started in the iPhone portion of the forum and was moved to this sub forum so it's a bit hard to not enter this new sub forum location when responding to people such as yourself that are now talking out of their butt. If I have responded to other threads in this sub-forum it is because those threads were also moved from the iPhone forum, get it now? If you need help getting that foot out of your mouth I am medically trained and can assist you, good day.

Last edited:

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
Can't we all like different devices and os's without getting nasty or name calling. I love to debate a good device such as iOS Andriod, windows and BB. It's all in good fun.

I own an iPhone, prior it was a BB, tried android and windows but still with iOS. I am very intrigued about the G3 and the note 2, does it mean they are better or that iOS is better? No, it comes down to user preference. Unfortunately for me, my preferences are constanly changing so it cost me a fortune.

This is kind of a hobby for me, I don't take it personally that you may carry a different device, I'm just currious as to why, maybe you found something within that device that I was any aware of that would make me re-think what I'm carrying.

Either way, these debates are fun and very educational. I can't tell you how much I've learned on all this sites. I bounce from this forum to android forums to windows and to crackberry. It just makes us all smarter.

To often I see people really getting nasty with other members just because they have a different opinion then there own. That's just nuts.

Quote of the day: why be critical? Why gossip? Because its much easier and far more enjoyable to identify and label the mistakes of others than recognize your own.

Good day to all.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Disappointment is that I am betting upon. The frenzy over the cell phone world is just plain and simple insane.

We got from "impatient to see the new iPhone" to "can this iphone save the US economy?"....

All platforms are good, if you're able to give a call to someone you love, or someone you wanna talk at some point.

Moreover, the contracts will just go ballistic....

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
This thread started in the iPhone portion of the forum and was moved to this sub forum so it's a bit hard to not enter this new sub forum location when responding to people such as yourself that are now talking out of their butt. If I have responded to other threads in this sub-forum it is because those threads were also moved from the iPhone forum, get it now? If you need help getting that foot out of your mouth I am medically trained and can assist you, good day.

Your posting history speaks for itself. You troll and you troll hard. It doesn't matter what forum. Even after this thread was moved you continued to troll, and you troll the iPhone forum consistently. If you are truly an iPhone fan, then there would be no need to even comment in a thread about alternatives, no matter what forum they appear in. But thanks for your time. You may need to do some self surgery if you ask me.

----------

Can't we all like different devices and os's without getting nasty or name calling. I love to debate a good device such as iOS Andriod, windows and BB. It's all in good fun.

I own an iPhone, prior it was a BB, tried android and windows but still with iOS. I am very intrigued about the G3 and the note 2, does it mean they are better or that iOS is better? No, it comes down to user preference. Unfortunately for me, my preferences are constanly changing so it cost me a fortune.

This is kind of a hobby for me, I don't take it personally that you may carry a different device, I'm just currious as to why, maybe you found something within that device that I was any aware of that would make me re-think what I'm carrying.

Either way, these debates are fun and very educational. I can't tell you how much I've learned on all this sites. I bounce from this forum to android forums to windows and to crackberry. It just makes us all smarter.

To often I see people really getting nasty with other members just because they have a different opinion then there own. That's just nuts.

Quote of the day: why be critical? Why gossip? Because its much easier and far more enjoyable to identify and label the mistakes of others than recognize your own.

Good day to all.

No it appears impossible on this board. Some people can't live to see their "phone" or gadget bashed in an open forum. Like the good doctor, they just feel the need to troll and troll hard.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009

Good day to all.

Well said. I would rather people come here and share their experiences with different devices to help the rest of us make our own decisions. Some people may share something that they liked or disliked that you haven't thought of. I have gotten a lot of "Why would you want to do that?" to different features I want or don't want. It underlines the point that we all use our phones in different ways. What works for me won't work for you. I really think this is a great time for phones and diversity. Apple has great offerings. Android has great offerings. Now Windows is stepping their game up and the Nokia's look particularly enticing. I don't keep up on Blackberry. Regardless, there are a lot of choices out there. If you are disappointed with what you have, try something else. Just do your research and know what fees you will be charged if you aren't happy with the other side.

My enthusiasm for the iPhone event was fading. I have been drooling over the big screen and overall design of the Galaxy S3. So last week I went and got one. After the initial fun and "playing" with my new toy, I tried just using it for a few days. I quickly realized that the learning curve was too steep for the amount of free time I have right now. I have a 3 year old, a 2 year old and a baby on the way in December. My wife and I both work. I have several projects I'm doing at home. No it wasn't hard to learn, but I've had iPhones for 5 years now. It's nice just picking up the new phone and knowing how it works. I know where everything is and exactly what to expect. I also discovered I personally didn't like the larger screen for my daily tasks. So now I'm very excited to see what Apple has tomorrow and I will be switching back. And I'm very happy I have first hand experience with the Galaxy S3 now. It really is a great phone, but for my uses, I still prefer iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.