Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Because samsung arn't interested in ripping us off!!!...a 64gb 4S is £700 here in the UK...ridiculous!!!!...my S3 cost me nothing and £30 a month all you can use, better phone, better price, cant see the next isheep being any better than the S3, but im sure the lemmings will follow....:rolleyes:

That's quite a falsified statement that cleverly exaggerates your point.

You quoted the SIM free price of a 64GB iPhone 4S when bought outright then compared it to your S3 price which is clearly a contract.

If you're comparing prices, compare SIM free to SIM free or contract to contract.

My 4S (16GB) cost me nothing on O2 at £36pm with unlimited cross-net mins & texts and 1GB of data.

A 16GB S3 costs £499.95!

See? Obviously the S3 price above is SIM free.

Don't twist facts to make a point. Where you could have won is if you'd said both the 4S and S3 are the same price for 16GB models, but the S3 can have its storage expanded for much less by using a Micro SD card.

Catdogchicken

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Sheffield UK
That's quite a falsified statement that cleverly exaggerates your point.

You quoted the SIM free price of a 64GB iPhone 4S when bought outright then compared it to your S3 price which is clearly a contract.

If you're comparing prices, compare SIM free to SIM free or contract to contract.

My 4S (16GB) cost me nothing on O2 at £36pm with unlimited cross-net mins & texts and 1GB of data.

A 16GB S3 costs £499.95!

See? Obviously the S3 price above is SIM free.

Despite the above, it is well known that Apple do charge a premium for their devices. I'd take plastic and knock a few £100 off the price. You are paying extra as its considered 'cool' and your purchase is getting you free access into the 'Hip Club'.

You are certainly not paying a premium for premium features.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Could you shoot me one? :p
I'd love to try the S3, but can't justify the hassle or cost if I don't like it and decide to stick with an iPhone and get the 5.

LoL.... S3 is nice but for me the iPhone still reigns supreme. Plus not sure I'll be getting new iPhones at all (other than 2 for my wife and I), a few of the kids are under the same spell as some here on MR's that the huge screened phones are some how better. I guess it's true what they say, with maturity comes intelligence. ;)

I don't hate anyone for spending their money how they see fit. I've got plenty, but I'm not about to announce it to everyone. Makes me look like a douchebag if I did.
I guess that's the difference between you and I, I don't care what people on the internet think of me. I certainly don't care if random strangers in this electronic box think I'm a douchbag. Hell, for all any of you know maybe I'm a major douchbag but that doesn't change the fact that I'll spend my money as I please and so will any other person on here... and for someone to question the motives of anyone because they choose to buy an iPhone instead of picking up a free S3, then calling them a lemming because they do so is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
The only way to know is to switch to Android and use it. Don't listen to anyone. See for yourself whether you like it or not.
As for iPhone 5, it is for iPhone 4 and below to upgrade. 4s is still new why bother upgrade.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Your argument is so filled with horse crap it's ridiculous. Same tired complaint every time. It looks nothing like a 4s, and no matter how much you and others say it, it simply won't make it true. You do know what the real joke is don't you? It's that people like yourself keep saying the same crap over and over again when it's clearly not true. My 7 year old can tell the difference between my 4s and pictures of the i5, why can't you and those that think like you?
If you don't like the new design tha's one thing, flat out lying about that design is another.

Yea look, it is taller, TALLER! And has a small new line on the side, see, you can totally tell it if you look at it under the microscope, totally, brand new design, OMG, APPLE, Again. DESIGNELUTIONARY!

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
If you want a Sammy get it. Nobody is holding you hostage. If you are trying to convince me to get a Sammy forget it. Each of us can do as we please. You do not need to justify your hoice to the world.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Yea look, it is taller, TALLER! And has a small new line on the side, see, you can totally tell it if you look at it under the microscope, totally, brand new design, OMG, APPLE, Again. DESIGNELUTIONARY!

LoL are you ok? You appear to be having some type of seizure or something. Again, anyone that can't look at the two phones and see that they are completely different is either stupid or blind. I'll let you respond and let us know which catagory fits you best.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
LoL are you ok? You appear to be having some type of seizure or something. Again, anyone that can't look at the two phones and see that they are completely different is either stupid or blind. I'll let you respond and let us know which catagory fits you best.

While i dont agree with vitru but with you yes :) i have to say that everyone ive showed the "iphone 5" photos say its a just a taller iphone 4; people like changes myself included.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Despite the above, it is well known that Apple do charge a premium for their devices. I'd take plastic and knock a few £100 off the price. You are paying extra as its considered 'cool' and your purchase is getting you free access into the 'Hip Club'.

You are certainly not paying a premium for premium features.

You get what you pay for. I will always prefer the quality of glass and aluminium over the light plastic.

I want to know more about the "Hip Club" though!?..is it a Jazz thing?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I am excited, I do believe that Apple will come up with something special. I have and love a S3 but await the upcoming announcement with relish.

For those above that do not like widgets, one does not have to have them, it is just down to user choice. I would rather have that choice than not.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010

Hahah, oh man, you remind me of those high society people, that go into a museum, look at a painting of a black square on a white background and go... "Fascinating, so deep, striking, thought provoking and shocking, a true masterpiece!" They don't see anything in it really, it's just a black square on a white background but they say all that because the artist who created it, is famous or controversial and they want to appear smart.

For normal people it's just a square.

Look at these pictures,

iphone-5-4s-3.jpg

iPhone5_02_FullCase-580-100.jpg

And understand how for most people think, it IS a stretched iPhone 4S, the shape is the same, the buttons are the same, the design language is the same.

3GS to 4 was a new design. 4S to the next gen iPhone, is not a new design, it's an evolution and fine tuning of the existing design.

And I'm not sure how you use your phone, but most people look at their phones from the front and have them in cases, if you put the next iPhone and the 4S in the case, you'll definitely think it's just a stretched 4S, even if you look at it from the side... cause even buttons are the same/recycled. You won't mistake 3GS and 4 that way.

Now maybe you see something radically new in the next gen iPhone but IMO, all you're trying to do is just trying to convince yourself that it is new, shiny, revolutionary and you absolutely, positively, require it, it will make your life better, you NEED it... In which case I'll tell you, dude, you're absolutely right, it is a brand new design, it is awesome, if you want it, buy it, enjoy it and have fun.

Last edited:

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
I am heavily invested as well in the Apple ecosystem. With that said I have two iPhone 4's one for business and one personal. But to tell you the truth I am bored as hell with iOS. But in the same breath, it's simple and it always works.

If something goes wrong with one of my phones or iPads I simply call apple on the phone or go directly to the apple store and replace that product for free. I don't know any other company I can do that with. I can't with Rim, not with windows, not with android.

I was thinking about using a G3 for business or personal and the iPhone for the other. I was a little disappointed when 4s came out and I have been using ios6 since the first beta release and now beta 4. To be honest, it's the same iOS.

I don't know what I'll do yet, obviously I will wait till Wed to see what is announced and more that likely I will buy the next iPhone, just not sure if I'll buy two or split between S3.

I do think many people overlook the customer service that apple offers. It's unbeatable so far.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
LoL.... S3 is nice but for me the iPhone still reigns supreme. Plus not sure I'll be getting new iPhones at all (other than 2 for my wife and I), a few of the kids are under the same spell as some here on MR's that the huge screened phones are some how better. I guess it's true what they say, with maturity comes intelligence. ;).

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that what I really want is an S3 that runs iOS. :D Lots of people think its ugly, but I think the S3 looks fantastic.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I like being able to just take a quick glance at the screen and see the weather forecast, news headlines, facebook updates, football scores etc.. without having to open 4 or 5 separate apps. One quick glance at the screen keeps me up to date.

Maybe having been an iPhone user for four years now I'm just expecting too much but for me the IOS homescreen has become very limited and dated.

The other issue I have being a UK user is that every iPhone release is US centric. For example SIRI couldn't access location services which made it next to useless for my needs, it looks like it'll be working this autumn, one whole year after the launch. The new iPhone is rumoured to have LTE which isn't available in the UK. We plan to have 98% LTE coverage by the end of 2017. Another possibility is NFC, again something that we just don't have the infrastructure, or the use for, yet. We pay the price but lack the benefits.

I know we're only a small country but if some of the major selling points aren't applicable to us, what is left to tempt us?

To be fair, we do have NFC everywhere. A lot of mainstream shops use it on their tills, but it just isn't promoted anywhere strangely.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
In which case I'll tell you, dude, you're absolutely right, it is a brand new design, it is awesome, if you want it, buy it, enjoy it and have fun.

So, if I look at the front only I will think it's the same phone. Ok.

If I look at ONLY the rims and tires on a car I'll think it looks the same as every other care with those same rims and tires. If I look ONLY at the windsheild of a car it will most likely look like every other car that has a windsheild. See what I'm getting at?

I can do you one better even.... if I only look at the blond hair of 2 women I would have to assume both women look alike right? No matter how much you and others say they look the same they don't, really, no matter how many times you say it.

I notice how you didn't do the side by side on the second pic you posted as that would of pretty much blown your argument out of the water. Nice try though.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
To be fair, we do have NFC everywhere. A lot of mainstream shops use it on their tills, but it just isn't promoted anywhere strangely.

True although im not tempted to use it.

I have the ability to use my bank debit card to pay for small items by just waving it in front of the machine. Ok it's only £15 a day but if someone found or stole my card it's easy to use.

I was looking at the machine in Greggs ( to our cousins across the pond , it's a shop that sells pies and sausage rolls etc) and the member of staff didn't know how it worked and was actually confused when a shopper attempted to use it !!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010

If I look at ONLY the rims and tires on a car I'll think it looks the same as every other care with those same rims and tires. If I look ONLY at the windsheild of a car it will most likely look like every other car that has a windsheild. See what I'm getting at?

I can do you one better even.... if I only look at the blond hair of 2 women I would have to assume both women look alike right? No matter how much you and others say they look the same they don't, really, no matter how many times you say it.

I notice how you didn't do the side by side on the second pic you posted as that would of pretty much blown your argument out of the water. Nice try though.

HpvWY.gif

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
the fact that this phone will likely have 4G LTE is enough to make me excited. Everything else is bonus :0

are you serious?? this is standard on every phone out there now, it would be a joke if it didnt have it! not only that but AT&T's speeds are a joke regardless of the conection type, In canada our 3G network is 100x's faster then AT&T's, thre are just too many people in clusters in the USA and it boggs down the cell towers.

seriously if people are excited for LTE connection speeds they are excited to be normal... its standard on most high end phones now.

I agree totally, they cant keep up with so many companies releasing so many new phones a year, their production only lets them do one a year cause of the demand but to no avail they will have a HUGE following for this phone even though its nothing new..

Last edited:

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009

I think you are seriously dissalousioned, there is no way that ANYONE in their right mind can say that these mockups are considered a redesigned phone... this is the smallest altering of a phone since the iphone 3g->3gs and 4->4s...

honestly the fact that its a bit taller and has a slightly different cage for the mic and speaker doesnt make it a redesign... honestly you must be smoking something strong if you truly think this is a redesign... there has only been one redesign in the past 5 years and that was 3gs->4... we will go another 3 more years before we see any redesign..

ROFL LOL priceless, thats the exact expression my face and thoughts exactly.. hahaha that comparison was so far from a reasonable comparison it was hilarious..

Last edited:

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Playing devils advocate here on this one.
Yes, you can get a bigger card cheap to make your phone a 32GB or 64GB.
But lets look at it Apples to Apples....no pun intended.

iPhone 4s "Internal" 16gb $199
Android(choose flavor) Standard Samsung Class 2 Card $199

Want 32GB on iPhone, cost another $100
Android, 32GB card $60 right?
But a Class 2 or 4 card from Walmart or Bestbuy wont ever be as fast and stable as an internal memory setup.

Like saying you can upgrade your pc storage way cheaper than paying for new internal hard drive install.
Yes, you can buy 1TB drive external for $99, storage solved
But it wont ever be as good as a hard wired internal TB drive. Try transferring huge files to a 1TB USB 2.0........and that's better than transfer speeds of micro SD

So heres where Im going with this.
For not much more, you get a phone with the memory you need.....but top of the line...fast and stable, designed for the iPhone to work correctly

These Class 2 32GB cards from Walmart 90% of people tend to put in, do not work as well.
Ive had 2 Android phones with 2 different Class 10 Micro cards and they still lock up in gallery and cards fail
Its been proven when the Micro Cards are pushed they dont hold up
Then the phone gets blamed when its really just the card.

So yes, technically, you can have massive amounts of storage on tap for little $$
But the saying "You get what you pay for" didn't just happen for sake of making a catch line.
Apple has taken the line of internal memory is fastest stable way. Its Top Line. No arguing it. As is the phones.
This isnt to say that everyone will experience the issue of cards failing or freezing.....but I did twice and many others have too.
A friend with an HTC cant video past 50 seconds in HD with anything other than a 16GB Class 8 card. For some reason 4 different cards all cause video to shutdown and hangup
It is what it is.
Looking at it the way Apple would, they don't want to take a chance on risking customers opting for crap cards. Cause they will and usually do, then Apple gets bad name from user experience etc.
Very few people have discipline enough to ignore the cheapest price and opt for better quality at higher price....except here, no micro card can compare Apples internal memory.
Many of website has confirmed the bigger faster the card the more issues arise.
So if I were needing to go to 32gb and cost was $60 for best card on market
It still isnt as good as internal. If they made one as good Id have bought it, but they dont.
So even if someone offered it, for say $100....32gb Class 98 suspersonic titanium micro card , just spend 100 on the bigger iPhone and its done.

Also, the Galaxy III isn't all isnt cracked up to be. As OP has, 2 friends got sick of Apple. They bought in day 1 of iPhone going all way through to 4s and got bored with the same style yada yada.
This huge Galaxy III came and wowed them. They switched. It was bliss for about 3 months then the complaining started.
Now both are done and waiting for the iPhone 5 to go back.
Yes screen is huge and theres widgets, but it gets old when the phone causes so many headaches....
Ones exact statement was, "Man, the screen is huge.....but it freezes up so much and chews battery so fast all the reasons i switched to it have worn off" , "Im just ready for a phone that just works again"

Id never say leave, if you want a different phone, knock yourself out. Doesn't effect me one way or another. Itd actually make it easier for those of us to obtain a 5.
But this forum is about opinions, both sides of the coin and Ive seen both so here it is.

Unless they have the quad core international version their battery life will be significantly better than the iphone 4s. Especially on cdma networks where the 4s gets atrocious battery life.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
You showed them a complete picture of the i5, not just the front glass and they said that? Which catagory did those people fit in?

Yeap the "leaked" pictures; catagory ? Dont know what you mean by that but basically normal users with no big tech background :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.