Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Have anyone experienced any issues transferring content from external drive to the iPad? … for some reason I’ve gotten tons of errors than I had before.
I just tried transferring a folder from one of my USB drives to my iPad and it transferred fine. I didn’t run into any snags. What kind of errors are you getting? I hope they get resolved. Are you running the public release, or a beta?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I just tried transferring a folder from one of my USB drives to my iPad and it transferred fine. I didn’t run into any snags. What kind of errors are you getting? I hope they get resolved. Are you running the public release, or a beta?
Beta.. but realized I should try the official version to see if I get a better result.

The errors are that it won’t transfer at all.. I use a Samsung T7, before this latest beta I was transferring content with success.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Beta.. but realized I should try the official version to see if I get a better result.

The errors are that it won’t transfer at all.. I use a Samsung T7, before this latest beta I was transferring content with success.
Oh no, hopefully you can get it working again! I haven’t had any issues with that, so hopefully it’s just a bug with the beta version you’re running. I moved over to the public version, and it seems to be getting much better battery life, and I really didn’t have any complaints about the battery life I was getting on the last beta version. 👍🏻

Reactions: Ludatyk

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Just to update everybody, The external drive options are still the same in the public release as last time I gave you an update during the beta cycle. Seeing as these new changes weren’t announced at WWDC, we have no guarantee formatting options will be added, but to me, it seems logical and pretty likely, whether it’s in a future update of iPadOS 17 or perhaps in iPadOS 18.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I replaced my cable.. now transferring content is much better now. Not sure why that made a difference, but I bought a new thunderbolt 3/4 cable for my T7.

Interesting. I have a mishmash of cables of all sorts - I should sort them out and keep only those of known good pedigree and toss the rest. They can definitely make a difference, be it data transfer and/or power supply.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
I replaced my cable.. now transferring content is much better now. Not sure why that made a difference, but I bought a new thunderbolt 3/4 cable for my T7.
I use the one that was included with my T7 drive. No issues and very fast - I believe it maxes out the USB-C spec.

BUT: having plenty of issues with the Files app especially when multitasking. drag/drop from the Fotos app into a folder of the Files app might crash the Files app. Its instance turns into a huge folder icon and nothing happens.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I use the one that was included with my T7 drive. No issues and very fast - I believe it maxes out the USB-C spec.

BUT: having plenty of issues with the Files app especially when multitasking. drag/drop from the Fotos app into a folder of the Files app might crash the Files app. Its instance turns into a huge folder icon and nothing happens.
That’s bizarre, I’ve never experienced those issues with the Files app. I’ll have to see if I can replicate that result and see if I can figure out any potential solutions. 👍🏻

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022

I tried drag and dropping photos from the Photos app to a folder in the Files app, and for me, it worked without issues. What version of iPadOS are you running? I’m on the current iPadOS 17.1 Developer Beta, so maybe that problem is fixed in iPadOS 17.1. How many photos are you drag and dropping at once?

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I’m on 17.0.3. I tried to drag 3 video files of ca. 4 GB each into the Files app.
I just tested it with video, and again, it worked fine for me. Maybe it’s a bug with 17.0.3, or maybe I’m doing something differently. The public release of iPadOS 17.1 should be sometime later this month, so maybe that will help. 👍🏻

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
Will update to 17.1 as soon as available- hopefully this will fix the problems, as I’m doing a lot of video file transfers working with Lumafusion.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I’m running the first iPadOS 17.2 Developer Beta, and no changes to external drive options this go round yet.

Reactions: Populus

Global_traveler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2020
Have anyone experienced any issues transferring content from external drive to the iPad? … for some reason I’ve gotten tons of errors than I had before.
I have two G-Drive SSD’s; one 500Gb and the other 1 Terrabyte. Using any external power supply (battery, plug in charger) the smaller drive is fine. However, the 1Tb drive causes the iPad to display a message stating that “the attached device has insufficient power”. I have a 2017 IPP running the latest iPad OS17, and have to use Apples USB adapter for power, as the iPad has a lightning connector. Hopefully this wont be a problem when I purchase the M3 IPP in early 2024. And yes, if there is a God, Apple will add functionality to Files to fully handle external drives, to say nothing of a long list of needed enhancements I’ve compiled. Cheers!

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Will update to 17.1 as soon as available- hopefully this will fix the problems, as I’m doing a lot of video file transfers working with Lumafusion.
Did iPadOS 17.1 fix the issues you were experiencing? I hope the issues were resolved. 👍🏻

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have two G-Drive SSD’s; one 500Gb and the other 1 Terrabyte. Using any external power supply (battery, plug in charger) the smaller drive is fine. However, the 1Tb drive causes the iPad to display a message stating that “the attached device has insufficient power”. I have a 2017 IPP running the latest iPad OS17, and have to use Apples USB adapter for power, as the iPad has a lightning connector. Hopefully this wont be a problem when I purchase the M3 IPP in early 2024. And yes, if there is a God, Apple will add functionality to Files to fully handle external drives, to say nothing of a long list of needed enhancements I’ve compiled. Cheers!

I use a Samsung 1TB USB-C SSD with my M1 12.9 with needing additional power.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I upgraded the internal SATA drive on a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro a while back, so I use the original mechanical hard drive as an external backup drive, and I’ve plugged into my M1 iPad Pro with a SATA adapter, and my iPad powers it. So it’s kind of odd that some SSDs aren’t getting enough power from the iPad, considering that one would think mechanical hard drives like that would consume more power.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I upgraded the internal SATA drive on a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro a while back, so I use the original mechanical hard drive as an external backup drive, and I’ve plugged into my M1 iPad Pro with a SATA adapter, and my iPad powers it. So it’s kind of odd that some SSDs aren’t getting enough power from the iPad, considering that one would think mechanical hard drives like that would consume more power.

Note though that the poster I was responding to is using a 2017 Lightning iPad which has lower power output than the USB-C iPads, hence the need for additional power for the 1TB SSD.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
Did iPadOS 17.1 fix the issues you were experiencing? I hope the issues were resolved. 👍🏻
I’m currently between projects and can’t answer that. Will report once I get going with this year’s vacation video with lots of file transfers. In the meantime i’ve found some workaround for the issue that bypasses the files app.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I’m currently between projects and can’t answer that. Will report once I get going with this year’s vacation video with lots of file transfers. In the meantime i’ve found some workaround for the issue that bypasses the files app.
Awesome, I’m glad you were able to at least find a workaround, I hope it will be working better for you. 👍🏻. I wish there was more I could do to be helpful. 👍🏻

Reactions: O.N.Y.X

kovacm

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
hello,

Is it possible to added shared folder to “favorites” in iOS 17?

Or is the any other way to added shared folder in some kind of quick access shortcut?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.