Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
hello,

Is it possible to added shared folder to ā€œfavoritesā€ in iOS 17?

Or is the any other way to added shared folder in some kind of quick access shortcut?

Thanks
I will test it this evening and get back with you. šŸ‘šŸ»

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
hello,

Or is the any other way to added shared folder in some kind of quick access shortcut?

Thanks
I just tested it and it worked. šŸ‘šŸ»

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
hello,

Thanks
And these shortcuts and icons allow you to add any folder or file to your iPadā€™s Home Screen. šŸ‘šŸ»

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I just installed the new iPadOS 17.2 Developer Beta, and I tested the external drive options to see if anything has changed. So far, I havenā€™t seen any changes there, it still offers the same options. There are still no re-formatting options yet. I figured Iā€™d give everyone an update. šŸ‘šŸ»

JokoWidodo

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
I just installed the new iPadOS 17.2 Developer Beta, and I tested the external drive options to see if anything has changed. So far, I havenā€™t seen any changes there, it still offers the same options. There are still no re-formatting options yet. I figured Iā€™d give everyone an update. šŸ‘šŸ»
hi, thanks for updating ! it's so sad that there is still no option for re-formatting external drive :( after these 7 years, the iPad is still not a laptop replacement yet. or maybe it will never be T_T

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I tested the iPadOS 17.2 Release Candidate version, and there arenā€™t any changes to the external drive options. Maybe weā€™ll see some more changes to this in future updates. šŸ‘šŸ»

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
hi, thanks for updating ! it's so sad that there is still no option for re-formatting external drive :( after these 7 years, the iPad is still not a laptop replacement yet. or maybe it will never be T_T
Youā€™re welcome! šŸ‘šŸ». I think this could end up improving in a later update of iPadOS 17, or possibly iPadOS 18. I think iPadOS 18 could be really big, considering several different factors such as the rumored 12.9ā€ iPad Air, and redesigned iPad Pro.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Youā€™re welcome! šŸ‘šŸ». I think this could end up improving in a later update of iPadOS 17, or possibly iPadOS 18. I think iPadOS 18 could be really big, considering several different factors such as the rumored 12.9ā€ iPad Air, and redesigned iPad Pro.
At this point, honestly, I only expect changes from iPadOS 18 onwards. I guess theyā€™re almost done with iPadOS 17 development. But many thanks for keeping an eye on it all this time, Kal.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Can tell you for sure that the very basic "eject drive" option to prevent data loss doesn't exist.

What an appalling oversight.

Ask me how I know? I just lost an entire SSD of work data by simply plugging in and transferring a video file.

Global_traveler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2020
I reformatted my SSDā€™s (Two 500GB G-tech drives, and one 1TB G-tech) as APFS using my M2 Mini. The 1TB drive would not work on my iPad Pro until I reformatted it, saying ā€œNot enough powerā€. Iā€™ve never lost data ā€hot swappingā€ the drives, which I do so that I have 3 backups. Been doing this daily (M-F) for several years - basically since the Files App was released. SSDā€™s typically leave data in the ā€œpresent stateā€, that is, the last data added, forever. Maybe Iā€™m just lucky, but Iā€™ve done the same thing with several old Miniā€™s, as well as the newest one, for years, including old 320GB hard drives Iā€™d pulled from old Macs, without issue. What type of SSD do you have? I agree there should be an ā€œejectā€ option, as well as a reformatting option. Iā€™ve requested that from Apple several times. Letā€™s hope it appears in the next release or two.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have a question.

For the APFS drives that are encrypted, macOS allows you to save the password on the keychain of the system.

Is this present on iPadOS? Can you save the APFS encrypted drives on iPadOS so that you no longer need to type it?

Thank you.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have a question.

For the APFS drives that are encrypted, macOS allows you to save the password on the keychain of the system.

Is this present on iPadOS? Can you save the APFS encrypted drives on iPadOS so that you no longer need to type it?

Thank you.

You didn't use to be able to save it and I don't think that changed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iPadOS/comments/13wpffb

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
You didn't use to be able to save it and I don't think that changed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iPadOS/comments/13wpffb
Okay, then I guess Iā€™ll have to save it on the iCloud Keychain and manually copy/paste it each time. Thank you!

I was asking this because I was told that the current password I use for my external drives, which is 8 character long, isnā€™t safe enough against brute force attacks, so Iā€™ll have to modify the password for a stronger pass phrase.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Can tell you for sure that the very basic "eject drive" option to prevent data loss doesn't exist.

What an appalling oversight.

Ask me how I know? I just lost an entire SSD of work data by simply plugging in and transferring a video file.
Pretty sure the reason that the iPad does no write caching. This makes file operations much slower, but because all data is written through, drives can be removed at any time without data loss, unless youā€™re actively writing a file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.