Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I might have missed it but did you also decide on an external monitor(s)? I recall you were borrowing a friend's but I might have missed the post when you decided on what you were going to buy for yourself.

Hi,

Yes, I'm using a borrowed monitor at the moment. I'm holding off on purchasing one until November 23, on the off chance that there's good Black Friday pricing on one that I'd be interested in. Because I can keep the borrowed monitor for a few months, I'm also thinking about waiting until I can find a second-hand Eizo Color Edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrholt

vidguy7

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
New York
Does anyone have any opinion of the RX570 vs the Pro 580? As you guys are probably aware, the latter is available in the Blackmagic eGPU that's available at Apple. The RX570 is available from Sonnet in the 'puck' version and both are apparently compatible with the MM.

Looking at the benchmarks in the link below, both seem pretty close in performance with the Sonnet being somewhat cheaper. Any compelling reason for one over the other?

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-570-vs-Radeon-Pro-580

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
tbh I don't like an current eGPU case. None hit the nail on the head but I'm sure a good one will happen soon. Some are too expensive for just a case with a cut down motherboard. Some are ugly. Some don't have USB ports. Only one has SATA for storage. Etc etc.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Does anyone have any opinion of the RX570 vs the Pro 580? As you guys are probably aware, the latter is available in the Blackmagic eGPU that's available at Apple. The RX570 is available from Sonnet in the 'puck' version and both are apparently compatible with the MM.

Looking at the benchmarks in the link below, both seem pretty close in performance with the Sonnet being somewhat cheaper. Any compelling reason for one over the other?

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-570-vs-Radeon-Pro-580

Hi,

I trust you know that the card in the Blackmagic (US$700) can't be upgraded, that it is unlikely that the card in the Puck ($600) can be upgraded, certainly by the user, and that AMD intends over the next year to replace the Polaris line of cards that these devices use with a new line called Navi.

If that is not appealing, you can purchase an enclosure for US$200 and, if you are patient over the next few days (see earlier posts for the reason), you can probably purchase an 8GB RX 580 card for $200-$220.

Last edited:

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Does anyone know if you connect an eGPI to a Mac Mini that is connected to a LG UltraFine 4K, the eGPU will work?

Everywhere I’ve read talks about connecting the monitor to the eGPU.

vidguy7

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
New York
Hi,

I trust you know that the card in the Blackmagic (US$700) can't be upgraded, that it is unlikely that the card in the Puck ($600) can be upgraded, certainly by the user, and that AMD intends over the next year to replace the Polaris line of cards that these devices use with a new line called Navi.

If that is not appealing, you can purchase an enclosure for US$200 and, if you are patient over the next few days (see earlier posts for the reason), you can probably purchase an 8GB RX 580 card for $200-$220.
Thanks, yeah, I’m aware you’re stuck with what you’ve got. My intent is to get something small and unobtrusive if I need it. Once I run some tests with FCP & Compressor, I’ll have a better idea of whether I’ll need an egpu. If I do, I’d probably choose between the Blackmagic & Sonnet.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
There has been discussion in this thread (see posts 9, 10, 12 and 25) about whether Asus's XG Station Pro enclosure works with GPUs that are power-hungry, such as AMD's Vega cards.

The following is from the Asus web site (emphasis added):

With XG Station Pro it's easy to upgrade your Thunderbolt 3-equipped computer's GPU, saving the cost and inconvenience of having to purchase a whole new system. With a modern operating system such as Windows 10, XG Station Pro is compatible with NVIDIA® GTX™ and AMD® Vega cards. (quoted from https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards-Accessories/XG-STATION-PRO/)​

As stated earlier, I have asked Asus Support for clarification around this issue and we have exchanged a couple of e-mails. I hope to have a response shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJivan

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I may be wrong, but wouldn't this share the bandwidth of the GPU and reduce it's performance?
Maybe, but I think someone mentioned in another thread that the PCIe connection inside an eGPU enclosure cannot saturate a TB3 link. So...naively...I'd think there was enough headroom for a SATA connection, if not a second PCIe SSD. Very happy to learn what is known.

There is one enclosure that has a SATA connector inside:

https://egpu.io/omen-accelerator-review-hp-external-gpu-voodoo-doll/

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think the RX 590 only makes sense for now if you want the three 2019 games.

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015

Well if you have a 1440p resolution and you want to wait for Navi the small omp of the 590 is nice, some models also go completely 0db when in idle or below 55c, I realise that 580 or even better a 570 offer more performance per wat and probably per dollar, but it's still better than vega 56 in that regard, and again it could be a placeholder until a proper navi gpu.

Granted a real die shrink would have been better :(

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well if you have a 1440p resolution and you want to wait for Navi the small omp of the 590 is nice, some models also go completely 0db when in idle or below 55c, I realise that 580 or even better a 570 offer more performance per wat and probably per dollar, but it's still better than vega 56 in that regard, and again it could be a placeholder until a proper navi gpu.

Granted a real die shrink would have been better :(
You can buy an RX 570 for $130 ($20 rebate). I think I saw RX 580s for as low as $180.

The RX 590 currently costs $280 and is only about 5% faster on average than a custom RX 580.

The RX 590 should be a bit more efficient than previous Polaris cards, as it is 12nm. It only consumes a couple more watts than an RX 580.

You can also overclock it a bit.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland

It makes sense if RX 580 pricing is inflated, which it continued to be yesterday, having regard to which versions I was prepared to purchase and confidence in the vendor/ease of return. The better RX 590 specs, and the three games, apparently valued at US$180, didn't hurt either.

Being interested in Sapphire Technology's Nitro+ series, I was certainly not going to pay $260 for the RX 580 in preference to the RX 590 at $280.

I agree that there is a strong argument for the RX 580 if the prices for these GPUs come down to earth, which may well happen over the next few days. I was getting tired of the game and was ready to make a decision.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It seems the 1060 9Gbps costs $250, although the RX 590 would be more often faster.

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
You can buy an RX 570 for $130 ($20 rebate). I think I saw RX 580s for as low as $180.

The RX 590 currently costs $280 and is only about 5% faster on average than a custom RX 580.

The RX 590 should be a bit more efficient than previous Polaris cards, as it is 12nm. It only consumes a couple more watts than an RX 580.

You can also overclock it a bit.

in most of 1440p scenarios it's 10% faster. in europe I can get a 580 for 210 euros, if the 590 is no more than 260 it make sense to me, games are a nice value tho definitely, it's a 150 euro bundle, I would have bought RE 2 remake anyway :D

rmdeluca

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2018
Is there any eGPU enclosure where you can also add an extra SSD over TB3?

I may be wrong, but wouldn't this share the bandwidth of the GPU and reduce it's performance?

You only get 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes over a TB3 connection. If you care about the performance of your eGPU, you should not connect any device to it except for the GPU (and connect the monitor to the GPU).

Maybe, but I think someone mentioned in another thread that the PCIe connection inside an eGPU enclosure cannot saturate a TB3 link. So...naively...I'd think there was enough headroom for a SATA connection, if not a second PCIe SSD. Very happy to learn what is known.

There is one enclosure that has a SATA connector inside:

https://egpu.io/omen-accelerator-review-hp-external-gpu-voodoo-doll/

While a TB3 link is technically not saturated by the 32Gb/s (technically 22Gb/s right now due to controller limitations) of 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes, the only way you can get the remaining bandwidth from the TB3 port without slowing down the eGPU is if the enclosure has a TB3 passthrough port and you connect say, a lower resolution (1080p@60Hz) monitor to that passthrough port. I wouldn't.

Almost every enclosure that has USB ports, SATA connectors and so on has its OWN USB/SATA controller, which is fed from one (or more) of the 4 PCIe lanes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spectrum

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
Just found a Vega for 330 with the three games included, sound like insane value to me, I think I'm about to pull the trigger

Shaddix-be

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2018
You only get 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes over a TB3 connection. If you care about the performance of your eGPU, you should not connect any device to it except for the GPU (and connect the monitor to the GPU).
It would be nice if manufactures offered solutions with cables that contained 2 TB3 ends, that should enable you putting more than only 1 thing in an enclosure.

rmdeluca

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2018
It would be nice if manufactures offered solutions with cables that contained 2 TB3 ends, that should enable you putting more than only 1 thing in an enclosure.

Yeah, or even a separate USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 connection. Then it could host ethernet/SATA and USB without taking away from the PCIe bandwidth.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I will not buy any eGPU enclosure with anything besides 2 TB ports, and no less.

Adding complexity is asking for compatibility trouble.
[doublepost=1542386111][/doublepost]
Just found a Vega for 330 with the three games included, sound like insane value to me, I think I'm about to pull the trigger
The cheapest Vega 56 I have seen lately was $400.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
There has been discussion in this thread (see posts 9, 10, 12 and 25) about whether Asus's XG Station Pro enclosure works with GPUs that are power-hungry, such as AMD's Vega cards.

The following is from the Asus web site (emphasis added):

With XG Station Pro it's easy to upgrade your Thunderbolt 3-equipped computer's GPU, saving the cost and inconvenience of having to purchase a whole new system. With a modern operating system such as Windows 10, XG Station Pro is compatible with NVIDIA® GTX™ and AMD® Vega cards. (quoted from https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards-Accessories/XG-STATION-PRO/)​

As stated earlier, I have asked Asus Support for clarification around this issue and we have exchanged a couple of e-mails. I hope to have a response shortly.
Some Vega cards. Certain editions need more power than what the XG station pro can provide.

The 590 wouldn't be an upgrade for me. I would have to get the Vega 64. I really hope apple and nvidia work it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.