Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks! Hopefully they clarify that.
I'm not interested in a Vega 56 at the moment and would be more than fine with the RX 580, but if buying an enclosure anytime soon, I'd want it to be future proof.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
There are some good photos of the Asus XG Station Pro on Asus's web site: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards-Accessories/XG-STATION-PRO/overview/

Here are a couple of iPhone snapshots. In the first, the top and side panels are in place. In the second, they have been removed, showing how the RX 590 GPU fits in the housing.

The housing is 37.5cm (14.8") long, 20.5cm (8") tall and 10.7cm (4.2") deep.

The three cables on the left, from top to bottom, are power, HDMI and 1.5m/5' Thunderbolt 3.

asus-covered.jpg
asus-bare.jpg

Last edited:

rmdeluca

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2018
With the panels in place, I have to confess that the lights are growing on me. Reminds me a bit of my tube amplifier :)

Yeah the white lights are nice.

What is annoying though is when my mouse, my keyboard, the motherboard of my Linux workstation right next to my Mac, the RAM in that workstation AND its GPU are all scintillating on their own, uncoordinated trips through the visible spectrum at the same time.

Now, after recently watching this Linus Tech Tips video:

I can't help but yell "GAMING!" in my head (sometimes out loud) every time I see a glowing computer component.

Reactions: F-Train

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
As long as the cable is active (or optical, if they ever become available) then it's fine being longer than 0.5m. You'll get the same speeds.

I didn’t know their were different cables.

I found the following which was where I got the 0.5m from:

Active Thunderbolt 3 cables support Thunderbolt at 40Gbps data transfer at lengths of up to 2m. Optical cables are targeted later, with lengths of up to 60m. Passive lower cost cables are only capable of 20Gbps data transfer at 1m or 2m lengths, but can achieve the full 40Gbps at a shorter cable length of 0.5m

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I didn’t know their were different cables.

I found the following which was where I got the 0.5m from:

Active Thunderbolt 3 cables support Thunderbolt at 40Gbps data transfer at lengths of up to 2m. Optical cables are targeted later, with lengths of up to 60m. Passive lower cost cables are only capable of 20Gbps data transfer at 1m or 2m lengths, but can achieve the full 40Gbps at a shorter cable length of 0.5m

Note that that passage distinguishes between "active cables" and "passive cables".

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
How is your system performing? What is the noise level like with that Asus box?

I'm exchanging my Mac mini tomorrow for one with higher specs and it will take a few days to get the new one. When it arrives, I'll be able to assess what practical difference the external GPU makes. I did an H.264 to H.265 conversion yesterday and was really surprised at the result, but the result may be due in part to a recent change in Compressor architecture. Details of my test are in post #147: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/external-gpu-egpu-resources.2154653/page-6#post-26828361

I live in a noisy city and usually work with a window open, so I am probably not the best person to ask about noise. All I can say is that I'm not noticing noise from either the mini or the Asus housing and GPU. I really like the fact that the Asus housing takes very little space, that the power supply is separate from the housing and comes with a good length of cable, and that the included Thunderbolt 3 cable is 1.5m/5' long. Asus did not cut corners on this product.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I'm exchanging my Mac mini tomorrow for one with higher specs and it will take a few days to get the new one. When it arrives, I'll be able to assess what practical difference the external GPU makes. I did an H.264 to H.265 conversion yesterday and was really surprised at the result, but the result may be due in part to a recent change in Compressor architecture. Details of my test are in post #147: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/external-gpu-egpu-resources.2154653/page-6#post-26828361

I live in a noisy city and usually work with a window partly open, so I am probably not the best person to ask about noise. All I can say is that I'm not noticing noise from either the mini or the Asus housing and GPU. I really like the fact that the Asus housing takes very little space, that the power supply is separate from the housing and comes with a good length of cable, and that the included Thunderbolt 3 cable is 1.5m/5' long. Asus did not cut corners on this product.

Asus have always made decent products, I didn’t know they made an EGPU case till you guys said and it’s size is very interesting. Will be interesting to know if it will take an Vega 56, looking forward to you telling us what they say about it.

Reactions: F-Train

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Will be interesting to know if it will take an Vega 56, looking forward to you telling us what they say about it.

Update: See post #186.

Asus told me today that their engineering people should have an answer in 48-72 hours. Without getting into the details, my exchanges with Asus Support have become a bit of a saga. We shall see if there is an answer in that time frame to what is a pretty simple question :)

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Asus told me today that their engineering people should have an answer in 48-72 hours. Without getting into the details, my exchanges with Asus Support have become a bit of a saga. We shall see if there is an answer in that time frame to what is a pretty simple question :)

Thanks for the update, maybe they are testing it themselves first? Hopefully we’ll have an answer by the weekend then.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
eBay has them for $340 if you don't want the free games as well.

I'd buy it but I already have the RX580.

rmdeluca

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2018
eBay has them for $340 if you don't want the free games as well.

I'd buy it but I already have the RX580.

The promo code that enables that deal has already expired :/ I was two hours late from getting an RTX 2080 for $650. Womp womp womp...

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
Wow, $340 would have been a sweet deal!

The only thing putting me away from the Vega 64 is the incredible power draw and how hot it runs.

Does the under volting and tweaking work from an enclosure as well?
[doublepost=1542888305][/doublepost]

That's a very nice article that I hadn't seen before. Thanks for sharing.

Is that dual AC a show off prototype only or Asus is actually realising it?

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland

Update: See post #186.

Hi, that review says that the Asus XG Station Pro will support Vega 56 under Windows. We already know that because Asus's web site expressly says so, although see @rmdeluca's cautions about power in post #83.

Asus Support currently takes the view that its enclosure does not support Vega 56 or 64 under Mac OS. That is also implicit in Asus's web site, which does not include Vega 56 or 64 in its list of supported GPUs for Mac OS.

However, Asus Support, and the Asus web site, may be relying on information that predates Apple's support for Vega 56 and 64 GPUs. See post #86 and #105.

I have been in correspondence with Asus Support about this since 14 November. So far, I have dealt with three line support staff, three supervisors and, as of this morning, someone from Corporate Customer Care, which I assume is distinct from regular customer care. The current situation is that Asus Support is awaiting clarification from its engineers, which it told me yesterday it would pass on in 48-72 hours.

I have asked two questions: first, whether the XG Station Pro supports Vega 56 and 64 under Mac OS given that Apple now does; and secondly, if the answer is that it doesn't, why it supports these GPUs under Windows but not Mac OS.
[doublepost=1542891335][/doublepost]
That's a very nice article that I hadn't seen before. Thanks for sharing.

Is that dual AC a show off prototype only or Asus is actually realising it?

That article is about Windows, not Mac OS. Please see the above post. Asus Support's position, pending clarification from Asus engineers, is that the XG Station Pro does not support the Vega 56 and 64 GPUs under Mac OS.

The dual power arrangement was a prototype. As far as I know, Asus has not made it available for sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
I just wonder, the Asus XG Station Pro has only 1 T3 connector. Shouldn't the eCPU be connected between the MacMini and the monitor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.