Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The damage caused to the US and to the world in general is incalculable, certainly in the trillions in damages as a result of the illegal campaigning by foreign parties on Facebook in favour of the eventual President. That Facebook enabled them makes them party to the damages. If a lawsuit were mounted to prosecute those responsible, there'd be no more Facebook.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
$5 billion is barely 3 months profit. Might as well spank Zuckerberg with a feather.
[doublepost=1562967452][/doublepost]
Great, I’m so glad they are going to hit them where it hurts, that means 15 billion as they have to make three tones the money to have 5 billion.

What you posted makes zero sense. They’re required to pay $5 billion, not go out and earn $15 billion in additional revenue to pay it. Plus the $5 billion is a write off so in reality it’s even less.
[doublepost=1562967692][/doublepost]
What will that $5B now support?

Fines go into the US Treasury along with revenues from taxes, etc. Given that the federal budget is north of $4 trillion, how the $5 billion is spent is like asking how much more food could you buy if you found a nickel under your couch cushion.
[doublepost=1562967758][/doublepost]
I believe that money should go to Facebook users that lost their privacy not to government.

And how do you propose to measure who gets paid and how much?

Thought so.

Reactions: snek and lunarworks

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
The damage caused to the US and to the world in general is incalculable, certainly in the trillions in damages as a result of the illegal campaigning by foreign parties on Facebook in favour of the eventual President. That Facebook enabled them makes them party to the damages. If a lawsuit were mounted to prosecute those responsible, there'd be no more Facebook.

I believe you're conflating the proliferation of fake news on Facebook, an organic phenomenon that took advantage of their algorithms, and the key outcome of the Cambridge Analytica scandal which were the paid ads on the platform. It's difficult to quantify how much of an impact either had on the election but I think most would agree the organic fake news was a much bigger driver than the paid ads.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
Wow ,influencing a major democracy is worth 5 Billion. Mark Z. & Sheryl Sand should face criminal charges for selling democracy against the US's national interests.

Reactions: macsba

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
About time governments came up with a mechanism to hit sleazy data whores like FB where it actually hurts. Fines, even billion dollar ones, are toothless and no deterrent whatsoever.
[doublepost=1562970807][/doublepost]Zuckerberg and his minions aren’t in anyway sorry about this data “breach”. They’re just sorry they got caught.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
And those whose privacy was violated will receive what?
They will get "we promise to be more subversive in spying on you, so that you don't have to worry about what we know about you and everyone ever associated with you. We care about your privacy."

Lots of shallow love,
FB
[doublepost=1562971281][/doublepost]FB should be fined the current national debt of the U.S.

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey, wasn't that the same amount requested to fund the border wall? Coincidence? (I know this actually goes into the general budget).

Border wall, paid for by Mexico military budget Facebook. o_O

Good thing this is already in the political forum. :eek:

That would be nice. Just add an additional 3.6 billion.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
This is not what this is about. And we have data on what you are talking about and the reports suggest the impact was zero or essentially zero. The data also suggest the manipulation was to help both candidates in about the same amount - about effectively zero. However if there was targeted interference they achevied their goals beyond wildest dreams because people are running around thinking some Facebook ads ended democracy and have wasted millions of dollars of US taxpayer money in investigations and unmerited paranoia.

Reactions: PC_tech and fairuz

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Seriously, FB gets fined but Equifax does not?

Cambridge Analytica: 87M people affected: FB profile data, likes, interests taken
Equifax: 143M people affected: Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses, driver’s license numbers taken

SMH
It's ridiculous. I don't even care about the Facebook thing, even if I was affected (idk). The Equifax breach actually matters.

Reactions: Martyimac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.