Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
So tens of thousands of people should lose their jobs and millions of people like myself who like and use Facebook should suffer because you don’t like it? Makes sense.
If FB were just a waste of time, I'd not care about the jobs moving. But people use it, and since it's moved mainly to groups/pages, it's genuinely useful. I left a while ago, but unlike some people, I don't have to preach to everyone about ditching it.

Woz made a statement about this, the most sane I've seen. He said it's not worth using for most people but worthwhile for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: rodpascoe

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Wonder how they came up with that money. So basically the government benefits from this..? Money goes to government..?

KGBguy

Suspended
Feb 19, 2015
USSR 2.0
I am fascinated to see how the State is always a victim in all disputes. Here it has suffered such a great trauma that it is receiving restitution of $5B. Hail our Justice Department!
[doublepost=1562979356][/doublepost]
Wonder how they came up with that money. So basically the government benefits from this..? Money goes to government..?

Budd, its the government, it is always a victim in all cases. It is wicked to the very core of it!

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Good news. FB needs to die in the long run.
Hate to be on insta, but I try to use it rarely.

Hate to say it but Facebook's stock surged to its highest price in a year when this was announced - this was announced and Zucks net worth increased.

The message to Wallstreet is that Facebook will still get to do what they've been doing. Just shows the level of corruption of the U.S. government...paid corporate lobbying to the GOP started in the early 70's and the mid 70's for the Dems and we have a government that does whats good for who pays them, instead of the average citizen (which occurred alot more before paid corporate lobbying started). JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
Yes. What CA did was bad (but I think inside FB guidelines) but keep in mind the Obama campaign showed Facebook how they were able THEMSELVES to pull a ton of data out. They showed Facebook what they did and their response was “that’s ok we are on your side”

Cambridge Analytica keeps getting the news because it was Trump being elected.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
So tens of thousands of people should lose their jobs and millions of people like myself who like and use Facebook should suffer because you don’t like it? Makes sense.
Don't keep your eggs in one basket. Above all don't use facebook as your repository for your data.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
And those whose privacy was violated will receive what?
They can sue. Good chance with this settlement, Facebook would probably settle. OK, say about another $5B tops. Say lawyers take 30% (yes, they’ll take more but just say 30% for the sake of argument).
That leaves $3.5B to be shared out to affected users.

Facebook say 87 million people were affected. Everyone gets about $40.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
so tens of millions of FB users got their privacy robbed and then the Govt pockets $5 Billion because of it

The government is supposed to use it in our interests. Why we pay taxes.
[doublepost=1562989472][/doublepost]
Exactly. 100 million+ US users, election interfered with, the results tainted, and the $5B goes directly into the treasury coffers which fixes precisely nothing and a GOP that continues to deny or downplay what happened and refuses to take meaningful steps to address it going forward.

Great.

Yes, the coffers that keep this democracy running.

Reactions: jbuckner

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Facebook's company value and disregard of ethics and privacy are obvious. Those choosing Facebook and/or working for Facebook chose to do so by their own volition. Don't blame the rest of the population who are victims for your own decision.
[doublepost=1562989589][/doublepost]
Facebook and Google worked closely with the Obama and Hillary campaigns. I think they should get fined 5 billion for each event. Focusing on the 2016 Trump campaign is a myopic approach to the political involvement of these organizations.
Well, don't look over here, look over there!!

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
It will be used to build more cages to house brown children after they are permanently separated from their parents.
Or maybe some state in the Middle East will get it as aid money.. I could see Kushner amongst a few others suggesting this to Trump.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Meanwhile Equifax essentially gets a pat on the back.
no kidding!
EFX should be paying through the nose with a bunch of folks in prison.

Don’t get me wrong, what Facebook did was awful and they deserve the fines but I still see the Equifax issues as a more egregious issue.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
no kidding!
EFX should be paying through the nose with a bunch of folks in prison.

Don’t get me wrong, what Facebook did was awful and they deserve the fines but I still see the Equifax issues as a more egregious issue.

Well yes, and particularly because corporations still largely pay lip service to data security, i.e. as a matter of fiduciary responsibility they must be able to say they've made an effort to secure their data if they're hacked, but meanwhile they don't want any security provisions to impede their at-will conduct of business.

Think of their senior officials as extensions of employees who still write their passwords down and stick them on post-it notes under their keyboards or on the bezel of their monitors. Because that's basically what they are and more importantly how they expect the whole company to be able to respond to special requests for data, application tweaks, network adjustments etc., 24/7/366.

I don't hold out much hope for this situation to be fixed any time soon. Even some bill that was introduced last year by Democrats would only have fined Equifax $1.5 billion or so had it been passed and had the Equifax breach occurred thereafter. In reality the FB fine was stiffer than that on a simple per-capita basis, leaving aside the different nature of the respective losses of privacy and apparent impact to date.

It's a bit like responses to any grave situation, say car crashes at some intersection that could use a traffic signal but just has stop-signs. When something bad finally happens to someone "special" enough,,,, something might get done about it.

The problem with that approach is that it's still closing a barn door after the horses are out. We don't know who will get killed at an intersection that needs a traffic light (and that assumes people give a darn about them any more if they think they have the option to ignore it, or they're impaired). And... we don't know the potential impact of a security breach. And... as general users we tend not to really care, unless and until after we're on the receiving end of a hack.

So we're part of the data security problem. We're sort of like the person who complains about no traffic light at the intersection of Elm and Maple, but when they finally put a stoplight up then we run it at 3am because it's a pain in the behind to sit there at a red light for "no reason".

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

Yes... Just like if you are cited for speeding in your car or failing to stop at a red light. You are fined and the money goes to the government.

It's called a deterrent.

Reactions: freedomlinux

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Most "fines" like this are to please the public, but the fines usually get suspended or severely reduced and we never hear about that. Further, the Govt. will then say the company can't be sued by anyone because the fine is enough. They did this with tobacco, and others, it's mostly a scam, and the poiticians get their pay off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.