Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It does not matter what FB thinks. It matters what the victims think.

Got it. You're changing your assertion now that FB considers its $5 Billion fine peanuts.

That $5 Billion fine also represents 23% of FB profit. Please find me a company leader who would consider that "peanuts."

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Got it. You're changing your assertion now that FB considers its $5 Billion fine peanuts.

That $5 Billion fine also represents 23% of FB profit. Please find me a company leader who would consider that "peanuts."
I did not say that FB considers it peanuts. *I* say it is peanuts.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
And those whose privacy was violated will receive what?
Hopefully a smack to the forehead for trusting and using FB in the first place. Then another smack for continuing to use it after all revelations of how evil FB is.

And how much does Obama get fined for downloading ALL facebook data?
You’ve heard about his “database”? That’s what it is. But nobody gives a rats about that, do they?
That doesn’t subvert democracy. ;)
Maybe in the echo chamber that is a still a thing, turned out to be just another red herring.
“The Obama campaign created a Facebook app for supporters to donate, learn of voting requirements, and find nearby houses to canvass. The app asked users’ permission to scan their photos, friends lists, and news feeds. Most users complied.

The people signing up knew the data they were handing over would be used to support a political campaign. Their friends, however, did not.

The people who downloaded the app used by Cambridge Analytica did not know their data would be used to aid any political campaigns. The app was billed as a personality quiz that would be used by Cambridge University researchers.”

Last edited by a moderator:

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
So tens of thousands of people should lose their jobs and millions of people like myself who like and use Facebook should suffer because you don’t like it? Makes sense.
If you suffer from not being able to use facebook THAN you have a dire problem yourself. fb must die as do all the other social networks of our time. They must die to make space for new things. the people involved need to know what fb google etc do with their data and how those informations usually backfire for those who think fb and google do fine.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
If you suffer from not being able to use facebook THAN you have a dire problem yourself. fb must die as do all the other social networks of our time. They must die to make space for new things. the people involved need to know what fb google etc do with their data and how those informations usually backfire for those who think fb and google do fine.

Honest Question, Do they need to die, or do they need to be more transparent and accountable?
Maybe it is time the Gov't finds people personal information as important as it finds their financials. Maybe it is time for any organization housing significant personal data to get slapped with analogous regulations as the gov't puts on the financial industry. I'd worry that if FB/G/others "died" that we have no guarantee that what replaces them would be any better unless there is a legal reason for existing/future organizations to be better stewards of information then no one will be incentivized to do so. Apple can (as far as we know) be a bit better steward of our information but that's because they are in a different business, they make money on their devices and services not as much from your personal data. If FB/G die then the only chance outside of new regs that would be better in the future, would be to hope that all other business use the same business model. I'm not sure we can bet on that.

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Another article that assumes we’re all American. Should read...”targeted political advertisements during the 2016 U.S. Presidential campaign.”

Still, happy something has been done to curb these data miners.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
A (fake) message from the Supreme Leader of the Great United States:

jy1qz7uj_1cji2et_1buhuzd.png

(via http://faketrumptweet.com)

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
shouldnt that make it go down then? why would the market favor a higher fine?

"saw" as in past tense....

Good news that everyone expected is priced in long before -> hence not news at all
Bad news that everyone expected is priced in long before -> hence not news at all

Bad news that everyone thought would be worse -> kinda good news

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
US$5 billion is a LOT of money for Facebook to be fined. That represents a good fraction of their liquid asset holdings. Facebook isn't Apple with its US$250 billion-plus liquid asset hoard.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
So tens of thousands of people should lose their jobs and millions of people like myself who like and use Facebook should suffer because you don’t like it? Makes sense.

Spoken like an addict.

Think we should roll back any regulation on cigarettes? Think tobacco companies shouldn’t have been punished for lying about health hazards? Many people don’t like these “attacks” on tobacco industry and buyers, and not for any other reason than how it affects their own addiction.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Peanuts, they should have been fined 500 billion

Imagine suddenly giving five hundred billion bucks to the US Treasury these days. The Trump White House would abandon all efforts to pretend it's managing anything but a kleptocracy and just back the trucks up to the back door, load up and haul a$$ to the nearest airports.

So no, $5B is probably the right number. Any more, even $50B never mind $500B, and it would be up in court as cruel and unusual punishment or something. That's probably an option under consideration as it is.

Anyway Trump's not concerned about interference by Russia and would probably love to see competitive bidding for the right of a foreign national to try to buy the executive branch of the US government by supporting an incumbent's re-election prospects. So he'd not favor any of his agencies seriously bashing some company over making a few bucks by letting a foreign national spend a few bucks along those lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbuckner

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
For those that enjoy facebook, enjoy but keep in mind that if just about anything is “free” then your the commodity. I have it, I’m embedded in it with friends and family spread across the country and I enjoy it, but I’m careful about what I put out there. You wont find my place of employment or education history on there, political opinions, likes, dislikes, etc, nope.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Let's see: if families worked like "social networks." There'd be speakers that repeated the latest ad slogans all over the house. You'd be reported to advertisers, political organizations. whoever has the 50c to find out the most revealing data you're ever going to get without having agents inside. And then match that all up with any other data set they can get. And they know just how to rile you up. I think $50 billion with some anti-trust stricture would be better. $5 billion to Facebook is chump change. Its stock went up.
[doublepost=1563044947][/doublepost]

It is not a good use of dots and dashes. The "users" are used. The new billionaires are freeloading on our data. You want my data, pay me.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
no kidding!
EFX should be paying through the nose with a bunch of folks in prison.

Don’t get me wrong, what Facebook did was awful and they deserve the fines but I still see the Equifax issues as a more egregious issue.
Completely agree here. Whereas, people technically had a choice to provide information to Facebook. You had the choice to not go onto facebook.
You really don’t have a choice with Equifax, as they have your info whether you want them to or not, as well as having more a direct effect on your daily life.

Reactions: LizKat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.