Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A fake PowerBook G5 press release is making the rounds, which has been engineered to appear to have been posted at Apple's site, but is not.

The fake url page begins with http://64.233.167.104 making it appear to be a Google cache address, but uses a form of url masking to redirect the user to a different site.

Similar fakes have appeared in the past.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
At first, I was surprised, that this even deserved a news item, but making clear that it's really a fake is perhaps a good idea.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Man alive, it is a slow pre-WWDC rumor cycle.

I just hope it doesn't mean Apple has nothing exciting coming...

apple_g5

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
Innsbruck, Austria
Playing with us...

Things like that aren't funny... for people who are desperately waiting for a new [and fast] laptop...
I personally think Apple is too harsh with rumors, but now I really hope that they'll let the hounds of hell loose.

[Ps: would still be nice if the fakes appeared to be a good guess ] :p

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
First the fake iPod Tetris/transitions, now this!

At least there's SOME fun to be had even if WWDC turns out to be all for developers :)

Hiroshige

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2004
The .mac page is not accessible. I wonder if Apple shut it down on the grounds of it being a violation of the .mac user agreement.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Hiroshige said:
The .mac page is not accessible. I wonder if Apple shut it down on the grounds of it being a violation of the .mac user agreement.

I just thought it might be the massive amount of traffic it's received in the past few hours.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
witness said:
People must be getting desperate for G5 PowerBooks.

And who has the time to do this?

No people are getting desperate for ANYTHING other then another anemic G4 PowerBook update. Price decreases and cool gee-wiz track pad updates does not == an update in my ibook. It == "OH GOD! We don't have crap! *looks around the lab.* Lets give them these features we were going to put in the next gen powerbook now and hope that sales don't totally tank until we can get something from either Freescale or IBM." [Insert Macaulay Culkin face and scream here]

Teeolee

macrumors member
May 12, 2005
UK
mad jew said:
I just thought it might be the massive amount of traffic it's received in the past few hours.

This was on spymac a few hours ago, i'm assuming that someone sent a note to Macrumors.

And the site just worked when i clicked it, so i'm guessing your reason was correct.

t.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
witness said:
People must be getting desperate for G5 PowerBooks.

And who has the time to do this?
Or desperate for attention.

If anyone read through the thing it would be clear as a bell that it was fake. I believe Apple would have PROOFREADERS look over their announcements. It is highly unlikely that Apple would let press releases, or any other major announcement, be published with typos all over it, especially in the headline ... AVAILIBILITY? Also see "Anticipitated" (subhead and text), "Apple Autorized" and "standalrd". :eek:

note: caught by shambolic too

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
All I can say, is that Apple better release a model like this soon. This would be a great system. I know that it is fake but this should be how the next PB should be (from the fakesite).

The 2.0 GHz, 15-inch PowerBook G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:

* a 1680x1050 HD widescreen LCD;
* a Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;
* 512MB of 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM;
* ATI Radeon Mobility x600 128MB video card;
* AirPort Extreme wireless networking and internal Bluetooth 2.0;
* DVI, VGA, S-video and composite video support;
* three USB 2.0 ports, two FireWire 400, FireWire 800
* backlit keyboard with ambient light sensor; and
* an 80GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive.

If you look at the PC market, they already have laptops like these and more powerful except for the G5 chip. So if they update the Powerbook they had better be similar to the ones on that fake site or Apple will be in trouble.

kerryb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
apple_g5 said:
Things like that aren't funny... for people who are desperately waiting for a new [and fast] laptop...] :p

Those people should buy a new and fast G4 Powerbook or maybe just get a life!

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
bodeh6 said:
All I can say, is that Apple better release a model like this soon. This would be a great system. I know that it is fake but this should be how the next PB should be (from the fakesite).

The 2.0 GHz, 15-inch PowerBook G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:

* a 1680x1050 HD widescreen LCD;
* a Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;
* 512MB of 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM;
* ATI Radeon Mobility x600 128MB video card;
* AirPort Extreme wireless networking and internal Bluetooth 2.0;
* DVI, VGA, S-video and composite video support;
* three USB 2.0 ports, two FireWire 400, FireWire 800
* backlit keyboard with ambient light sensor; and
* an 80GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive.

If you look at the PC market, they already have laptops like these and more powerful except for the G5 chip. So if they update the Powerbook they had better be similar to the ones on that fake site or Apple will be in trouble.

Forget the G5. I think even a single core Freescale (Dual cores are just too much to hope for until MW06 at the earliest, I think.) at 2Ghz with the above specs. (Doesn't the single core have the memoy controller on the CPU? negating the need for a super fast FSB?) *drools all over himself* One thing....I would have speced out a 80GB 7200RPM drive if I had made up these specs.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Well you can tell this is fake anyway because the resolutions of the screen. In order for a screen to be considered HD it has to be 1920 x 1200, and these screens just go up to 1680 something whatever.

Powerbook G5 on your lap, best method of birth control=)

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
villanova329 said:
In order for a screen to be considered HD it has to be 1920 x 1200

You're incorrect on the resultion. Currently there are two High Definition formats defined by the HDTV standard. "720p": 1280 x 720 pixels (720 lines progressively scanned) and "1080i": (1920 x 1080), 1920 pixels across each of 1080 interlaced scan lines. Both are 16:9 aspect ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.