Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I agree with the above poster that these are what we should be expecting for the next powerbooks, but it's probably very doubtful that we will.

My prediction:

1.8 GHz G4 (15"/17")
Bump up to the next Radeon graphics card.
All other specs the same.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Only 64 mb graphics card in the 12 in Powerbook and an tiny 80 meg drive. What was Apple thinking? At least they finally added backlight to the 12 inch Powerbook but I think I'll wait for revision b. :rolleyes:

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
future PB is...

nobody knows it...
a easy way will be to use the 7448 from freescale which is now in production and the main topic of the Freescale meeting taking place mid-June :
Freescale Technology Forum
North America, 2005
June 20-23, 2005
JW Marriott, Orlando

this meeting is filled up with worshop dedicated to 7448 features, debugging, optimization, etc...
so regarding the e600 single or dual-core, I think it is too early, and Apple is still working hard to implement the RapidIO techno from Freescale...not sure that Apple will use the e600 at all if IBM can propose a revised 970GX with mobility features.
in addition the e600 is deisgned to be incorporated on a RapidIO system + PCIexpress GPU, and DDR2...many things not even available on current PMG5...

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Okay, I probably should know this, but.... Will the Freescale chip fit into the current PB design or will it require Apple to completely redesign the PB to accommodate it? Or will it just require a new motherboard design?

Ti_Poussin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
sw1tcher said:
Okay, I probably should know this, but.... Will the Freescale chip fit into the current PB design or will it require Apple to completely redesign the PB to accommodate it? Or will it just require a new motherboard design?

A complete motherboard design would be require, but I sincerely think it would be a great thing to happen. I wish we see 7448, but I doubt Apple will do it this soon, my though is that it will be at Paris at the end of summer. Begin with single core, and at MWSF with dual core or MWSF single core and June next year with dual core (wich is more probably in the target). It's a sad thing, but it's more realistic. The G4 FSB just don't cut it anymore. The frequency are alright but, two new switcher around me that got the last powerbook, complain about the temperature the PB run, they nearly got burn by it. That's alone is a real good reason to switch to Freescale next chip ASAP, cause more overclocking those 7447 or 7557 chip won't be a good idea.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
samh004 said:
I couldn't believe it when I found out it was fake, only moments earlier I was thrilled...

Oh well... :(
You need to get out more lol but seriously the specs for these fakes make for intresting reading.... Dam shame we wont see such specs for some time on any system regadles of g5 4 6 even 7 and 8

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Still the next 15" Powerbook needs a 15.4" Widescreen with 1680 x 1020 screen and PCIx16 graphics. I am still betting that the PB will be PCIx16 graphics before the PowerMac line does. This is just to compete with all the other laptops out there.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
apple_g5 said:
Things like that aren't funny... for people who are desperately waiting for a new [and fast] laptop...
I personally think Apple is too harsh with rumors, but now I really hope that they'll let the hounds of hell loose.

On the contrary, people that are "desperately waiting" and hope Apple will "let the hounds of hell loose" are EXACTLY what makes this kind of hoax funny.

Think about it.

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
Apple has no choice but to update the power book line up because the ibook are in desperate need of updating as well. I see a g5 pb around the corner, i mean we have been complaining about this for over a year. No speculation about WWDC makes me think G5 PB, G5 mini-high end but keeping the G4 mini for the lower end etc... they will start doing these thing i hope :rolleyes:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
a major price break would make me happy. I'm just a mouse click away from ordering an iMac!

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
tveric said:
On the contrary, people that are "desperately waiting" and hope Apple will "let the hounds of hell loose" are EXACTLY what makes this kind of hoax funny.

Think about it.
Many people who are "desperately waiting" for a Powerbook G5 will be the ones who say after it is released that they will be waiting until Rev B, because they don't want the flaws usually associated with a Rev A. Or, there are those who will say that they just can't afford it yet anyway.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
The thing that made me sure it's fake? They refer to the 1680x1050 15" as HD, but apple doesn't consider anything with a vertical resolution less than 1080 to be HD, therefore they wouldn't name it that.

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
The thing that made me sure it was fake? Apple knows how to spell "availability" and "anticipated", and knows that the possessive form of "it" doesn't have an apostrophe.

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
I made it all the way to MR!

Awesome, I made it onto MacRumors!

I never expected my hoax would get that much attention!

:D

(I wish I hadn't forgotten to spell check it though. :rolleyes: )

</zweben, the guy who made this>

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
iPod Photo fake summary

Sharewaredemon said:
I didn't realise they were fake, when was this decided?

Do you have a link?

The iPod Photo update fake discussion starts about here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1492904#post1493060

None of it is 100% certain, but I'd say 99.7%. Too bad, Tetris and new transitions would have been a fun little update :)

Basically, it's easy to fake because you just make an image, upload it on the iPod and view it like any photo, and then your image really IS on the iPod and you can photographi it at will with no additional photoshopping needed.

So what is it about those screens that makes them look fake?

1. Battery icon shows "plugged in" even though the dock and charging cable are seen in the background. The guy COULD have bought a second charging cable, and plugged it in for no apparent reason while taking the photo, just to make things extra awkward, but....

2. Boldface on the left side of the About (Uber) menu, which a real iPod does not have. Apple could have added that, but...

3. Icon shows that iPod is playing even though no headphones are attached. And pulling out the headphones pauses an iPod automatically. He could have re-started playback for no reason with nothing connected, but...

4. The two Tetris shots show a sequence of events that's impossible in Tetris. Rows at the bottom have been cleared, despite the mess over top preventing any changes down there.

All together, it's too much doubt.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Before you get flamed to death by people here I'd just like to say Thank You.

Leading up to nearly all the conferences/expected release times, there usually are rumors/"pics" and other things which are released... it kindof makes it fun and passes the time. Although this was deemed fake early on, it accomplished the same thing, and also was harmless fun leading up to WWDC.

Now if only somebody would release some pics of a "G5 PB" in an elevator, that would complete it ;)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Zweben said:

Your admission is questionable, but if it is true... I hope the MacRumors community responds with more maturity than you have shown.

I am not taking bets :eek:

EDIT: Yes, we NEED an elevator pic :D Deliver this and all is forgiven! :D

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
Zweben said:

good job besides from the few flaws listed below.

i bought it at first :(

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That story may be fake, but it will still eventually be true. Maybe these leaks are for a reason. Although they don't need to hype anticipation.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Powerbooks: To G5 or not to G5? That is the question...

You know, I find it interesting that there seems to be somewhat of an echo in here. I remember just before the G4 PBs were released that there were a lot of people who were saying that the G4 would never be cool enough to put in a laptop, and that we'd have to wait for some derivative of the G3 for the next generation of the PowerBooks. Then, a couple years after the release of the G4 towers, the G4 PBs were released.

Lo and behold, here we are a couple of years after the G5 towers were released, and there are people saying that the G5 will never be cool enough to put in a laptop. Hmm...

Now, I'm not claiming to know anything about whether or not we'll see a PB G5, soon or ever. I'm really just saying that I don't think any of us really knows. Throughout the past couple of years, I've maintained a patient anticipation. I hope to see a new PB model soon. I'd like it to be a G5 (there is a major piece of software that I use that is up to 6x as fast on the G5 as on the G4).

I think that there is some truth that Apple knows it needs to update the PBs soon. As has been pointed out, the iBooks need updating, but their right against the ceiling compared to the PBs. If the PBs aren't updated, then updating the iBooks will blur the distinction between the two models. As much as some people don't like this idea, it is the business model that Apple seems to be using. So, in order to update the iBook, the PB needs updating (or at least they need to announce the update - "available in September").

Something's gotta give...

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Zweben said:

Dude. The least you could have done was double the price. No way is a first gen G5 PowerBook going to intro for anything under 2 grand initially. If you are going to put something out at least get the price point right. You can bet that Apple is going to soak as much bling out of their customers as possible for the first 6 months. My bet? 12" PowerBook $2000, 15" PowerBook $2600, 17" a cool $3200. With the iBooks getting the total pre-G5 PowerBook makeover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.