Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxigalaxy

macrumors member
How can a company like Apple afford to release something (read G5) for desktop and not be prepared to do the same on a laptop in 2 years time????
That is really bad management!!! I am sure that they must have something ready...or almost!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
It's been said over and over again. It's not needed yet in a laptop and wouldn't be practical. They should work on a special G4 first.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
ITASOR said:
It's not needed yet in a laptop and wouldn't be practical. They should work on a special G4 first.

I bet Apple wishes everybody shared your opinion. While a 1.67 GHz G4 might suffice for you, or me, I'm sure the users doing video editing or (insert other heavy duty task here) would disagree.

Squire

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
SiliconAddict said:
Dude. The least you could have done was double the price. No way is a first gen G5 PowerBook going to intro for anything under 2 grand initially. If you are going to put something out at least get the price point right. You can bet that Apple is going to soak as much bling out of their customers as possible for the first 6 months. My bet? 12" PowerBook $2000, 15" PowerBook $2600, 17" a cool $3200. With the iBooks getting the total pre-G5 PowerBook makeover.

TOTALLY TOTALLY DISAGREE. These things come down in price - even as they get newer. Nobody wants to spend 500 dollars more because Apple can't get their acts together - that would be a great one:

NEW PROCESSORS. PRICE RAISED 30%. STARBUCKSSAM'S APPLE STOCK DECLINES.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
Squire said:
...or "anticipated" or "authorized" or "standard"

Squire

I guess spell checks are useless these days.. huh..
Good job oon the fakers part.. The person who made it must be in grade 2 :rolleyes:

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
ericssonboi said:
The person who made it must be in grade 2 :rolleyes:

That's the sad part. He's 17! (At least if the owner of the homepage.mac.com site is the culprit.)

There's just no excuse on OSX. I mean, I spelchek everthing. ;)

Squire

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
maxigalaxy said:
How can a company like Apple afford to release something (read G5) for desktop and not be prepared to do the same on a laptop in 2 years time????
That is really bad management!!! I am sure that they must have something ready...or almost!

What part of "Apple does not make the chips" do you not understand? IBM, to date, has yet to produce a G5 that will work effectively in a laptop. Just like they have yet to produce a 3.0ghz G5. This is Apple's fault how?

Squire,
A pro relying heavy on a laptop for proc intensive video editing is a really niche thing. Of course more power is always better, but when you consider that a typical edit bay is going to have audio monitors, a video monitor, an audio mixer, decks, and a large HDD array the need for an "uber-laptop" really isn't there in today's video world.

Lethal

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
There will never be G5 PowerBook...

.. No G5 Tuesday...

Never.

The G5 PowerBook never arrived.

Intel Inside.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Lethal,

Thanks for pointing that out. (I've had only a handful of experiences with video editing.) Actually, I posted that ignorantly; I was just making a guess that video editing might be processor intensive. What I meant was, "...or whatever."

I guess when they finally do release a successor to the Powerbook, it'll be plenty snappy. My 1.6 GHz Pentium M is fine. Which brings me to the next question: When are they going to update the G4 portables? Or do you think they will at all? I'm in the market and was sort of hoping for a refreshed 12" PB.

Squire

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
LethalWolfe said:
Squire,
A pro relying heavy on a laptop for proc intensive video editing is a really niche thing. Of course more power is always better, but when you consider that a typical edit bay is going to have audio monitors, a video monitor, an audio mixer, decks, and a large HDD array the need for an "uber-laptop" really isn't there in today's video world.

Lethal

It's not a niche thing at all; I know plenty of people who have brought macs for things like iMovie (Including myself) iPhoto and lets face it, running itunes, instant messangers, a DVD maybe, and some other things does take processing power. As the OS gets more and more lines of code and more complex GUI, processing power becomes a premium. Plus, things like making music (logic in particular) demands a very, very high processor ability, lots of ram etc.

I think you're being to personal about YOUR processing needs. Don't forget the Powerbook is a "Pro" line. People willing to pay $2000 for a laptop don't want a ridiculous 1.6GHz. I can't even run 10 plugins on that. Poor.

Hence the move to intel of course. I'm all for it.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Maxiseller said:
It's not a niche thing at all; I know plenty of people who have brought macs for things like iMovie (Including myself) iPhoto and lets face it, running itunes, instant messangers, a DVD maybe, and some other things does take processing power. As the OS gets more and more lines of code and more complex GUI, processing power becomes a premium. Plus, things like making music (logic in particular) demands a very, very high processor ability, lots of ram etc.

I think you're being to personal about YOUR processing needs. Don't forget the Powerbook is a "Pro" line. People willing to pay $2000 for a laptop don't want a ridiculous 1.6GHz. I can't even run 10 plugins on that. Poor.

Hence the move to intel of course. I'm all for it.

I think you need to reread my post and the post I was responding to. I wasn't being personal to MY needs I was responding to a specific example mentioned by a previous poster in regards to an entire industry.

To paraphrase my previous post:
1. more power is always better
2. pro editors really don't look for "editing laptops" because you still need to connected to equipment in an editing bay (some of which may not even be able to connected to a laptop).

That is why I said, "A pro relying heavy on a laptop for proc intensive video editing is a really niche thing."

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.