Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Status

Thanks Rower, I'm up to 24% right now and I will follow what you mentioned. Guess I got a little over zealous with the downloads.

Can you explain what InCrease is looking for in line 3 and line 10 in the following?

/Users/marclager/Desktop/InCrease.app/Contents/MacOS/foldingctl: /Users/marclager/Library/Application Support/InCrease/data/foldingctl.conf: line 3: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
/Users/marclager/Desktop/InCrease.app/Contents/MacOS/foldingctl: /Users/marclager/Library/Application Support/InCrease/data/foldingctl.conf: line 10: syntax error: unexpected end of file

If it's something I can change I could open foldingctl.conf (somehow) and correct it couldn't I?

I have attached 2 pdfs of the Process Viewer and I can't see RC5 anywhere, so I guess I'm cool.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
As far as I can figure, it's looking for info in a config file related to the InCrease app...

You should be able to open it in TextEdit and see what's going on in there. From what I can tell, that's not going to affect your folding, just inCrease.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
got it, thanks. I'll step aside now for a while and let things happen.

Great com with you.

Sparky

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
opened up the file in text edit. Line 3 is my user name Sparky's and I think InCrease doesn't like the apostrophe " ' "
The funny thing is that there are only 8 lines in the whole thing so line 10 doesn't even exist.

Anyway status is at 64% went to e-mail and when I was done checked back on it and all I could see was an error message that it couldn't find the script foldingctl so I logged out and back in again and it picked up right where it left off. (mild people panic) All is well.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Welcome to our folding team Sparky's, it's great to have you aboard. It does seem to take patience at first to get setup properly. As you have found, there is great help available.

I just installed the Folding program on a PC where if volunteer. Does anyone know if there is an ability to check status of folding on a PC? :)

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I think the same way as for a Mac (except the terminal ofcourse!). So there has to be a FAHlog.text file in the Folding directory. Don't know for sure, don't have a pc in my folding farm.

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Wd...

In the systray there is a little folding icon... right click on it, then select "status --- log" and it will open notebook and show you the log. If you just hover over the icon, it will show the relative progress (154/400 for example)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
jbeetz said:
Wd...

In the systray there is a little folding icon... right click on it, then select "status --- log" and it will open notebook and show you the log. If you just hover over the icon, it will show the relative progress (154/400 for example)

Thank you jbeetz, mission was successful. It gave me a 22% completion with a due date.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Eek, I am getting this error:

[20:22:50] Loaded queue successfully.
[20:22:50] + Benchmarking ...
[20:22:56] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[20:22:56] + Attempting to get work packet
[20:22:56] - Connecting to assignment server
[20:24:11] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[20:24:11] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
[20:24:11] - Successful: assigned to (Edited for privacy).
[20:24:11] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[20:24:11] Loaded queue successfully.
[20:24:11] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[20:24:11] (Got status 503)
[20:24:11] + Could not connect to Work Server
[20:24:11] - Error: Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
[20:24:31] + Attempting to get work packet
[20:24:31] - Connecting to assignment server
[20:25:46] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[20:25:46] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
[20:25:46] - Successful: assigned to (Edited for privacy).
[20:25:46] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[20:25:46] Loaded queue successfully.
[20:25:46] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[20:25:46] (Got status 503)
[20:25:46] + Could not connect to Work Server
[20:25:46] - Error: Attempt #2 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
[20:25:57] + Attempting to get work packet
[20:25:57] - Connecting to assignment server

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
sethypoo said:
Eek, I am getting this error:

<SNIP>

No need to panic. All that's happened is the server your computer is trying to connect is overloaded. Leave it to run for a while and it'll connect succesfully, and continue churching out units for you.

Ozi

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2004
Melbourne, Australia.
I have been folding nonstop whilst away from my computer, and in 5 days I have only completed 47 frames of 400! do I have an unusually tough protein or do all of them take this long? also will it "time out" if I don't complete the protein in time?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Ozi said:
I have been folding nonstop whilst away from my computer, and in 5 days I have only completed 47 frames of 400! do I have an unusually tough protein or do all of them take this long? also will it "time out" if I don't complete the protein in time?
Well non-stop eh?

What model is your computer first of all...(speed)

Are you sure your computer isn't going to sleep, because while in sleep mode the CPU doesn't work...

5 days should be much more then that.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I run a G4-500 24/7 and just finished my first "Tinker" in 14 days, only to be hit with another right after it :mad: but at least this one's worth 120 where as the first was only 70, but damn just waiting another 14 days is killer!!!

Ozi

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2004
Melbourne, Australia.
I have an old "Lombard" pBook G3... here is EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about my computer. It is very slow, but yes I did set it to not go to sleep, i am not a complete n00b. The screen turns off to save power, but I have set the computer to never go to sleep, and to have "best performance" when on power supply. I am now up to 70 frames in about 6 days... so it is going ok. I just dont want it to "time out" and for all this CPU work to have been for nothing. :)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Ozi said:
I have an old "Lombard" pBook G3... here is EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about my computer. It is very slow, but yes I did set it to not go to sleep, i am not a complete n00b. The screen turns off to save power, but I have set the computer to never go to sleep, and to have "best performance" when on power supply. I am now up to 70 frames in about 6 days... so it is going ok. I just dont want it to "time out" and for all this CPU work to have been for nothing. :)
Although your link goes no where (click it yourself)...
If it is a rather old powerbook, then indeed it will take quite a while to finish.

Its not going to 'time out'... you have 23+ days to finish any work unite with over 400 frames (I checked the page).

But depending on which WU you might have even more time.

--MrMacMan

Ozi

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2004
Melbourne, Australia.
MrMacman said:
Although your link goes no where (click it yourself)...
If it is a rather old powerbook, then indeed it will take quite a while to finish.

The link works for me no problems. But thanks for the help... I have now done 82 frames, in around a week. What is the difference between "points," frames and work units? *confused*

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Ozi said:
The link works for me no problems. But thanks for the help... I have now done 82 frames, in around a week. What is the difference between "points," frames and work units? *confused*

Every folding project (p###) is a very complex set of calculations.
To make it manageable by PCs and to verify the results, it is broken up in a number of "Working Units", which are the individual sub-projects that are handed out to us. Working Units are made up of "frames", typically 100 or 400 (sometimes they appear on the log as "steps" and number from thousands to millions). These allow the user to monitor how you are progressing on the job.
The amount of time it takes to finish one WU of a specific kind is standardized, and each WU is awarded a variable number of "points" depending on how hard it is.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Don't panic said:
Every folding project (p###) is a very complex set of calculations.
To make it manageable by PCs and to verify the results, it is broken up in a number of "Working Units", which are the individual sub-projects that are handed out to us. Working Units are made up of "frames", typically 100 or 400 (sometimes they appear on the log as "steps" and number from thousands to millions). These allow the user to monitor how you are progressing on the job.
The amount of time it takes to finish one WU of a specific kind is standardized, and each WU is awarded a variable number of "points" depending on how hard it is.
Indeed projects to see why different dieases are made are divided into subgroups and then projects...which make work units.

Work units are worth Points depending how long they take to complete... so yea.

Folding --> Diease --> Projects --> Work Units and Work Units are worth --> Points.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
This may be just me cos i havent seen anyone else mention it but:
the readme states you can run the various commands "blah" but I have to run "~/.blah".. so is that an error of the readme or me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.