Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
mmmdreg said:
the readme states you can run the various commands "blah" but I have to run "~/.blah".. so is that an error of the readme or me?
it means your home directory isn't in your path

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
mmmdreg said:
heh sorry. The readme included in mc68k's "single" script. The commands "work", "rid" etc etc.

Okay they work on the eMacs but not my G3 iMac.. go figure..

On another note, does mc68k's script make it run on boot or login of the user who installed?

edit: answered myself. don't worry (2nd question)

ph_555_shag

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2003
Adelaide Australia
ok ive downloaded the graphical client, bcause me and the terminal, we aint very good mates.

so neway in the bottom left corner it says

Core download error (#1), waiting before retry
then
Core download error (#2), waiting before retry... etc.

and never gets any further than #6.... neone know whats going on?

sparky76

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
I have checked and cannot find a post on this point - I have been folding for a while (no.35 in Team 3446) and have just got a dual G5 PM.
I have downloaded the script for running dual processes and they seem to be working fine. I know I can't look at a graphical client, but is there any way to check how far through a WU each processor is?

Also, how do I quit Folding if I want to (for example, to watch a DVD in peace and quiet)? I have used Activity Monitor to quit the relevant processes, but is there a more elegant solution?

More importantly, how do I restart Folding without rebooting?

If anyone has solutions involving the terminal, please make them as simple as possible. Thank you.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
If you have the dual script from mc68k, there are some commands for it that you can type in the terminal. With "work" you can see how far each WU is. With "stop" you can stop folding. Read the readme that came with it, all commands are explained in there!!! Owh, and Sparky, don't fold too hard, you are almost overtaking me!

sparky76

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Thank you dreadnought. Now I'll rid the old files and scripts when the current WUs complete and download the new versions, to make sure I get the current client. And then try to pass you.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
sparky76 said:
Thank you dreadnought. Now I'll rid the old files and scripts when the current WUs complete and download the new versions, to make sure I get the current client. And then try to pass you.

What did I just day?! Don't try to overtake me! I only have dual 1.8. So don't overtake me! :p

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
sparky76 said:
Dual 2.5 and 3 Wintel boxes folding. Sorry - I'm overtaking.

OUCH! Only have my dual 1.8 know. Gotten sick and tired of the noice of my G3 B&W. And noticed that the WU's I send in to Stanford from my work pc didn't resulted in any points... Must be because I have to send them first to my mac, and startup VPC and then send them with F@H. At first this worked, but later when I started to do this once a week and send in a couple of WU's, I didn't get the points anymore. Also If only send one WU. Or I would get a small bit of the points that the WU's where worth. That stupid firewall at work is blocking my connection to Stanford directly. Can't get around it and our IT department is saying that it isn't the firewall! Typically windows IT people who don't want to do anything because they don't understand there job! So far my frustration! To bad really, because else I could have installed F@H on the whole department, and we all are geting new pc, each 2.6 GHZ x 12... That would make me a top 10 folder!

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I've downloaded the dual processor script, but I use the screensaver version of the client - will it work the same way, or do I have to use the terminal client?

(sorry if this is already posted - I searched, albeit quickly...)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
The DP script installs the Terminal version of the client - no GUI whatsoever. It does, however, add some commands so that you can start/stop, view progress, etc. of you current WU.

Be sure not to run both concurrently!

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
well... I downloaded it, but I didn't install it, stopping short before you answered my question. Thanks - I think I'll stay with the SS client for now, unless one day I get experimental :D I've got it running on 2 dual 1.8's now, so that works out to one dual processor working well. :)

And I'm trying to get my studio PC back into the mix as well, although it got stuck on a WU and kept crashing. I reinstalled the client this a.m., hoping it would fix itself. We'll see. I'm still moving up in the rankings, though :)

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Just joined, i thought i may as well seeing i have bit torrent in the background downloading during the night. One quick question, when the process is down downloading will it be deleted of my hardrive after sending it back through the internet.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Mudbug said:
well... I downloaded it, but I didn't install it, stopping short before you answered my question. Thanks - I think I'll stay with the SS client for now, unless one day I get experimental :D I've got it running on 2 dual 1.8's now, so that works out to one dual processor working well. :)

that's too bad, you could double your output by installing the DP script, even more then doubling it, the GUI also takes a small percentage of your processor power. If you leave those two dual 1.8 running 24/7, you would have an output of about 600 points per day! You would be a top 20 producer for our team then!! :eek:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
DeSnousa said:
Just joined, i thought i may as well seeing i have bit torrent in the background downloading during the night. One quick question, when the process is down downloading will it be deleted of my hardrive after sending it back through the internet.

Welcome to the MacRumors folding team. It's great to have your participation DeSnousa. Every bit helps research and MacRumors.
;)

iPoster

macrumors regular
Hello all,

I am using the Terminal client, and recently set it to use "3446" as the team (MacRumors). But I'm not showing up on the list of members of the MacRumors team. And my statistics information still shows me as being a member of team 0.

When going to the change team page on the Stanford website, it asks for the 'old founder e-mail' as mandatory. What do I use for that?

I have also forgotten my password for Folding! :eek: I can't find any help on their site for resetting/remembering your password...

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Well the login is for changing the team, so unless you started the team you can't change it. Second of all how many work units have you completed since the switch?

I would also suggest using this script: http://calnet.sdsu.edu/mc68k/ It will start folding when the computer is turned on, under any user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.