Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I must say that I really love the Cuba-setting. Looks awesome.
I watched some gameplay, I think Ubisoft really is raising the bar with this one. I loved FC5 and the whole ‘Montana setting’. But the throwback Cuba, you can tell they put a lot of time and effort, especially with the delay for six months from the February 2021 initial release, this will probably be my ‘game of the year’ personally.

• Love
Reactions: BlankStar

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
How could there be first impressions, when it’s not even officially released yet. It releases October 7, [technically midnight tonight through GameStop.]
Aww I was seeing technical videos and didn’t think it still wasn’t out. I am not sure if I would rather play this or New World.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Aww I was seeing technical videos and didn’t think it still wasn’t out. I am not sure if I would rather play this or New World.
New World is a re-branded FC5 using the same engine, except more apocalyptic with overly saturated colors and a very off storyline. The original FC5 was awesome with the Montana/wilderness setting.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Been reading a few reviews, and they seem to be focusing mostly on the story and themes.

I have never played a Far Cry game for the story or themes. Just tell me about the gameplay, graphics and map design!

The game looks like fun to me. I'll pick it up at some point, but not right away. Too much backlog to justify paying full price right now.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I broke, and got the PC version. Going to give it a try when I get off work this afternoon.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Took advantage Of the 10% discount for GameStop Pro members if you preordered. Should be here on Saturday. (Although, it only really saved just the state tax on the game, but still.)

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Subscribing to Ubisoft+ for a month to play this. So far.....I love it. If you like Far Cry games then this is quintessential Far Cry, imo. Story is fine, but nothing mind-blowing. When has that ever been the case though? All about the game play. I'll put over 100 hours in this game easy before I'm done. I just hope I can finish it in a month!

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I hear the map is big, but is it varied? Just Cause 3 had a huge map, but it was all very boring. Flying from one corner of the map to the other feels great, but then you land and see the same buildings, cars, trees and enemies. Instead of flying for ten minutes, you could have just walked a hundred yards and had the same experience.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Never played a Far Cry game - do I need to play previous games to understand this one, or is each game a new story?.....

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I hear the map is big, but is it varied? Just Cause 3 had a huge map, but it was all very boring. Flying from one corner of the map to the other feels great, but then you land and see the same buildings, cars, trees and enemies. Instead of flying for ten minutes, you could have just walked a hundred yards and had the same experience.
So far I don't think it is super varied. Though I guess it isn't boring, I do like surprising the enemy. Last night I realized there are detention transports where you can free citizens (it was dark and I accidentally shot one of them, the reticle turns blue, but not fast enough).

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I loved FC2 snd FC3. Loved exploring the beautiful landscape in both games at a relaxed pace, rarely used fast travel.

Didn’t get into FC4. This may sound weird, but I felt there were too many hostile animals. Whenever I would scout out a new location to find good sniping spots, some bullet-sponge animals would attack me out of nowhere. That really sabotaged the way I loved playing a Far Cry game. It was fine in FC3, but too much in FC4, so I lost interest after a few hours.

How does FC6 compare? Are you able to explore and sneak up on outposts in a relaxed manner? Are the environments beautiful and pretty varied? Are the graphics pretty awesome on new gen consoles?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How does FC6 compare? Are you able to explore and sneak up on outposts in a relaxed manner? Are the environments beautiful and pretty varied? Are the graphics pretty awesome on new gen consoles?
No overpowered animals like the other games. Yes, you can use stealth in the outposts if you like. Particularly a bit later in the game when you can upgrade to some silenced weapons. Not a lot of variety as far as environment. Pretty much everything looks like a tropical island. Good graphics, but not on a level with Ghost of Tsushima like I mentioned in the other thread.

It is a fun game, but not a really deep story IMO.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
There is only 1 far cry game that builds on top of a previous game: far cry new dawn is a sequel to far cry 5 (it really should’ve been a DLC to FC5). Other than that they are all standalone stories
Woah, I didn’t know that!

I played this past summer FarCry5, and I really liked the game. I managed to end it (I didn’t complete all the secondary missions tho), and I didn’t know there was a sequel. Probably, I’ll wait until I have a PS5, but eventually, I’ll play New Dawn and FC6.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don't forget to put your feedback here @Taustin Powers & @Relentless Power :cool: I'm hearing that the island is very monotone, but I'm feeling that hard to believe.
Taustin is probably ahead of me, as I’m floating between three games, with Ghosts of Tsushima, Microsoft flight simulator and FC6. Too many amazing titles, never enough time.😁 I definitely will post feedback.

Last edited:
  • Love

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Taustin is probably ahead of me, as I’m floating between three games, with Ghosts of Tsushima, Microsoft flight simulator and FC6. Too many amazing titles, never enough time.? I definitely will post feedback.
I stopped doing that a couple of years ago. Now I just play one game and nothing else, cause at one moment I had like six games that I played for 50%ish and never finished anything... Now I start a game, give it 5 hrs and then decide to either drop the game, or complete it. (not saying you lack my discipline though :))

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Don't forget to put your feedback here @Taustin Powers & @Relentless Power :cool: I'm hearing that the island is very monotone, but I'm feeling that hard to believe.

It may be too soon to tell for me. I've only done 2 missions so far. I think the island looks fantastic. In typical Far Cry manner (for me), I take my time walking to the mission sites and stop to enjoy the scenery frequently. I also always turn off the score music, as I think it takes away from the atmosphere. I don't need dramatic action music to tell me I am in a combat situation!

I think the characters (and the pet crocodile) are a little too cartoony in their demeanor, but that doesn't bother me. All in all, my favorite setting and overall mood was Far Cry 2. It just felt a little more gritty and real. But I loved Far Cry 3 as well, and this is very similar in feel so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.