Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Pointing at nobody in particular but there is some stark hypocrisy on this thread. A select few criticising this guy for what he has done yet we are on a site that relishes in rumours and leaks. We all discuss this sort of thing and it drives discussion pre release on so many products. I think some of the folks taking pleasure in this going Pete Tong for this guy need to assess what they’ve been discussing on here in the past before taking the moral high ground now.
Leaking and consuming leaks are two very different animals; this site is also much more than a rumor mill. Plus the whole rumors and leaks thing is really quite cringe with the apparent ego behind it (even when anonymized) and when rumors go back and forth ad nauseam on the most mundane details that really would be best saved until Apple is ready to announce them.

It highlights the myopic selfishness and questionable principles of this consumerist community when this guy is commended, praised, even thanked. Almost like they would do the same thing in his shoes—anything for money and (transient, anonymous) internet fame. I know we all have a void to fill wasting our time on a site like this, but some here are really shameless in their materialistic debasement.

TL;DR: If you really loved Apple so much and wished for its continued prosperity, wouldn’t you want its secrets kept?

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Leaking and consuming leaks are two very different animals; this site is also much more than a rumor mill. Plus the whole rumors and leaks thing is really quite cringe with the apparent ego behind it (even when anonymized) and when rumors go back and forth ad nauseam on the most mundane details that really would be best saved until Apple is ready to announce them.

It highlights the myopic selfishness and questionable principles of this consumerist community when this guy is commended, praised, even thanked. Almost like they would do the same thing in his shoes—anything for money and (transient, anonymous) internet fame. I know we all have a void to fill wasting our time on a site like this, but some here are really shameless in their materialistic debasement.

TL;DR: If you really loved Apple so much and wished for its continued prosperity, wouldn’t you want its secrets kept?

Well, a rumor ususally come from a leak. And honestly, most of these secrets are pointless. The opposition can guess on their own what Apple is working on. So they find out Apple is working a car or a virtual reality headset. So is the opposition. They aren't waiting on Apple. Well, OK, maybe not the car, that is a unique one. But these leaks do little to harm Apple's business. It's more paranoia than actual harm.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t love Apple by any stretch. They just make the phone I have used for a bit over a decade. I’m not brand loyal, I just know what I like and have used their products because of this. I think they are a company who are as unscrupulous as the next and won’t lose any sleep over a leaker costing them money. ‘Prosperity’? No, I’m not a shareholder and they could do with having a slump in order to come down to reality and stop inflating their prices. I see Apple as a necessary evil that gives me half decent products to use daily, that’s all.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I mentioned earlier at minimum, Apple can claim they own the right to market iOS 17 the way they want. With 17 million followers on YouTube alone, they have measurable monetization on social media. Apple can offer a loss estimate based on the various YouTube videos produced using this leaked info.

In terms of sales, Apple can hire a survey company and ask, "based on rumors, iOS 17 will offer performance and stability improvements for older devices, would you be more or less likely to upgrade your iPhone?" Apple can definitely estimate loss here.
I admit I don't fully understand the ramifcations. If iOS 17 is a "free" item to those with phones, then the question might be the measure of phone sales that would exploit iOS 17. I do understand the notion of punative and revenue loss but again, it escape me how revenue is lost here. I do however see how those that take the information and put it on social media may profit and perhaps those profits should go to Apple. This is admittedly interesting and truly appreciate those trying to explain (though I don't quite fully grasp things here).

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The famous Johnny Depp v Amber Heard trial had many several expert witnesses that talked about damages (how much Depp might’ve lost due to contracts not being renewed). They were used as the basis for the damages Ms Heard will have to pay.
Depp is a bit different as he was phased out of a role based on this trial (Rowling's movie) and a few others and it cost hi a relationship with Disney that was somewhat measurable in potential since Pirates of C were alway on the burner and more. For Apple, wouldn't some sort of proof of loss need to occur beyond the punitive and such? I am by no way saying Apple is not in the right on this matter but find it difficult to prove loss. Someone else mentioned Youtube and other media where people might share the info and profit and it seems Apple should be able to go after those that illicitly share private intellectual property, information, and similar.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I admit I don't fully understand the ramifcations. If iOS 17 is a "free" item to those with phones, then the question might be the measure of phone sales that would exploit iOS 17. I do understand the notion of punative and revenue loss but again, it escape me how revenue is lost here. I do however see how those that take the information and put it on social media may profit and perhaps those profits should go to Apple. This is admittedly interesting and truly appreciate those trying to explain (though I don't quite fully grasp things here).

This goes back to the positioning of iOS 17. Apple deserves to market iOS 17 the way they want to.

1683850826382.png

Do you think Apple would market iOS 17 that way? Of course not. Craig Federighi will walk on stage and tell the world it's the biggest update ever.

"Performance and stability improvements" -
  • Does that mean old iPhones are fast enough?
  • Should I even wait for Apple to launch iOS 17 in September?
  • Maybe I'll buy a Pixel 7 today.

There is definitely revenue lost here. Real or not, lawyers will push this angle on behalf of Apple.

Reactions: mech986

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
This goes back to the positioning of iOS 17. Apple deserves to market iOS 17 the way they want to.

View attachment 2200886

Do you think Apple would market iOS 17 that way? Of course not. Craig Federighi will walk on stage and tell the world it's the biggest update ever.

Performance and stability improvements - does that mean old iPhones are fast enough? Should I even wait for Apple to launch iOS 17 in September? Maybe I'll buy a Pixel 7 today. There is definitely revenue lost here.
Regarding
Yes you have a point, Apple would never market iOS 17 in such manner
Mark Gurman was no better with his April 16th Bloomberg article
The updated versions of iOS and iPadOS aren’t likely to offer major new features — unlike last year’s software, which ushered in a new lock screen. But they should satisfy a checklist of user requests with more minor improvements. I’m also not expecting major macOS or tvOS changes.
So between this so called leaker and more known fellow nether are comparable to how Apple would market several OS's. It's like we are existing on the fumes of rumors past? 🤣

Reactions: JPack

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Regarding
Yes you have a point, Apple would never market iOS 17 in such manner
Mark Gurman was no better with his April 16th Bloomberg article

So between this so called leaker and more known fellow nether are comparable to how Apple would market several OS's. It's like we are existing on the fumes of rumors past? 🤣

They're both realistic views, but Mark Gurman is smart enough to not get his sources caught. He's also smart enough to hitch himself to a news agency so he gets source protection as a journalist. 😁

Reactions: Realityck

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What legal defense do they have? They leaked confidential corporate information. I'm sure, before joining Apple, they were forced to sign NDAs and if you go against these NDAs, you have no legal recourse, lol.
……
Idk why you say this.
All I say in that comment is to state their current situation and fact about every corporation.
I couldn’t care less about how they walk Out of the mess. Every action has its consequences.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

hch720

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
For whatever reason, this whole situation just gives me really, really weird, dreadful, and almost creepy vibes.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
But didn't most people predicted Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro for the iPad already? Which is why many people bought the M1 12.9 iPad Pro with 16GB RAM back when it was released?

I simply went for 8GB RAM back then because I only buy hardware based on software that is currently available and not what might come.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Well, a rumor ususally come from a leak. And honestly, most of these secrets are pointless. The opposition can guess on their own what Apple is working on. So they find out Apple is working a car or a virtual reality headset. So is the opposition. They aren't waiting on Apple. Well, OK, maybe not the car, that is a unique one. But these leaks do little to harm Apple's business. It's more paranoia than actual harm.

Didn't the iPhone sell very well last quarter. So maybe the OP can argue that Apple owes him alot of money :p

• Haha
Reactions: yaxomoxay

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
related

Be careful what you believe

Apple is a famously secretive company that goes to great lengths to protect its upcoming projects from the outside world. This includes not only serious security and legal measures for its employees and suppliers, but almost certainly also operations to “poison the well” with false information, strategic planted “leaks” to gauge fan response, and situations like this one where unique false information is given to suspected leakers inside the company in order to help identify them. Famously, one of the original Apple rumor sites, Think Secret, was forced to shut down and faced a lawsuit after publishing a planted leak about a Firewire audio box.

So whenever you read an Apple rumor–here or anywhere else–carefully consider the source and its track record. In this case, @analyst941 first made a name for themselves by leaking correct information about the Dynamic Island prior to the iPhone 14 Pro launch last year.

This year, they detailed a bunch of features about iOS 17, many of which found their way into our own rumor roundups. This leaker getting busted both validates those prior leaks (they had a real inside source) and calls them into question (some of the info may be deliberately wrong as part of Apple’s sting operation). In all honestly, we’ll probably never know if this story is true either.

We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: It is best to assume nothing is actually true until Apple officially announces it. We’ve seen too many seemingly reliable rumors turn out wrong or simply never materialize. According to typically reliable sources, the 15-inch MacBook Air was originally going to be released at a March event (there wasn’t one), and then in April (which came and went), and is now supposed to be announced and ship at WWDC in June.

Those rumors came from often-accurate sources, but they still never came to pass, either because they had bad information or because Apple’s plans shifted. And ultimately, it just leads to disappointment.

=======

As highlighted in bold from this MacWorld Article, until Apple says it is true, it isn't, no matter how reliable a source might be.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I am also - I must confess - quite intrigued by the number of newbie accounts that seem to have been opened just to comment on, or reply to, this thread.

Fascinating.
I suspect they are either troll accounts or disinformation accounts created with the purpose to sway the debate in a different direction.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
For whatever reason, this whole situation just gives me really, really weird, dreadful, and almost creepy vibes.
Right? Something is clearly off, especially with all these new accounts joining just to comment here. Idk, but hopefully it’s just a blip on the proverbial radar…

Do you have anything more to say? I’m curious to hear your thoughts 😲

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I suspect they are either troll accounts or disinformation accounts created with the purpose to sway the debate in a different direction.
I share your opinion, which is why I thought it fitting to draw attention to them.

Actually, it strikes me as quite extraordinary - not to mention rather interesting - that a number of individuals would go to the trouble of opening an account on this site purely in order to be able to comment on the matters raised in this particular thread.

This is something that I do not recall having come across prior to now.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I share your opinion, which is why I thought it fitting to draw attention to them.

Actually, it strikes me as quite extraordinary - not to mention rather interesting - that a number of individuals would go to the trouble of opening an account on this site purely in order to be able to comment on the matters raised in this particular thread.

This is something that I do not recall having come across prior to now.
IMG_3234.jpeg

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Maybe it is a fake story that Apple has put out to see how far in the mac community and mac media the story goes. It's in MR, Macworld and 9to5mac already.
This is getting more meta. Apple leaking a story about a rumor which is in itself a rumor about a leaker that is on MacRumors.

At minimum I want a movie about this with Nicholas Cage as the lead.

Tin Cook

Suspended
May 11, 2023
Not me.

I think this is just very strange. There are many things that could be happening with 941. Is 941 a fake leaker? Is this story true? I honestly don't even know!

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I am also - I must confess - quite intrigued by the number of newbie accounts that seem to have been opened just to comment on, or reply to, this thread.

Fascinating.
Say... I think I just noticed that too! I wonder who's leveraging accounts here...

Tin Cook

Suspended
May 11, 2023
Say... I think I just noticed that too! I wonder who's leveraging accounts here...
Some of us joined because this is weird.

941's leaks could just be very good guesses. I also think might be too dramatic to be true.. We don't really know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.