Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
This is getting more meta. Apple leaking a story about a rumor which is in itself a rumor about a leaker that is on MacRumors.

At minimum I want a movie about this with Nicholas Cage as the lead.
And we all thought Apple missed the boat on LLM AI. Siri has manufactured this to write the script for the next AppleTV+ blockbuster.

Get outta my way Jason Bourne, er, ChatGPT.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some of us joined because this is weird.

It is weird.

However, - and, if this had been merely confined to one new member who joined to comment on this thread, I would think, okay, fair enough, - but here, we have several new members (I counted four, perhaps there are more) opening accounts in order to be able to comment on a strange thread started with a totally peculiar original post that also strikes me as utterly weird, not to mention downright extraordinary.

Most (well, many) of us opened accounts because we had just bought an Apple device and wished to ask a question about it.

Everything about this thread strikes me as strange.

Here, we have an extraordinary Original Post (and thread), suffused with a note of emotion that seems somewhat excessive, to which are added a flurry of new accounts to comment on a story which may be true, false, or disinformation or deflection practised on an industrial scale.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It is weird.

However, - and, if this was confined to one new member who joined to comment, I would think, okay, fair enough, - but here, we have several new members (I counted four, perhaps there are more) opening accounts in order to be able to comment on a totally weird OP's original post also strikes me as utterly weird, not to mention downright extraordinary.

Most (well, many) of us opened accounts becasue we had just bought an Apple device and wished to ask a question about it.

Here, we have an extraordinary Original Post (and thread), suffused with a note of emotion that seems somewhat excessive, a flurry of new accounts to comment on a story which may be true, false, or disinformation or deflection practised on an industrial scale.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Yes it could be an Apple based security scam exercise targeting MacRumors. Most large companies test employees by sending some example periodically to see if people respond properly after receiving what appears to be something you shouldn't respond to. Given how MacRumors lately seems to prolifically generate article after article concerning anything from various sources they might need to be more careful and clearly identify its a rumor.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes it could be an Apple based security scam exercise targeting MacRumors. Most large companies test employees by sending some example periodically to see if people respond properly after receiving what appears to be something you shouldn't respond to. Given how MacRumors lately seems to prolifically generate article after article concerning anything from various sources they might need to be more careful and clearly identify its a rumor.

Increasingly, I suspect that this may be the case.

Likewise, I wonder whether there is something somehow curiously coordinated in the number of new accounts that have been opened primarily to comment on this specific thread.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Sorry this is happening, but what you were doing was very unwise. And doing this for internet cred and not even getting paid for it multiplies that statement by a trillion.

Hope you and your sister can learn from this, move on, and rebuild that relationship cause you both are in the wrong.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Increasingly, I suspect that this may be the case.

Likewise, I wonder whether there is something somehow curiously coordinated in the number of new accounts that have been opened primarily to comment on this specific thread.
Perhaps it's directly related to other site articles all quoting the MacRumors example also. So other Mac savvy participants are going to this topic because of it notoriety. ;)

macrumors-forums-anonymous.jpg

Anonymous-A-S left this farewell message explaining the situation on the MacRumors forums.
MacRumors forums

The above example is from MacWorld, but you pick the article usually someone has copied this example image pointing back to MacRumors.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Perhaps it's directly related to other site articles all quoting the MacRumors example also. So other Mac savvy participants are going to this topic because of it notoriety. ;)

macrumors-forums-anonymous.jpg

Anonymous-A-S left this farewell message explaining the situation on the MacRumors forums.
MacRumors forums

The above example is from MacWorld, but you pick the article usually someone has copied this example image pointing back to MacRumors.

Even the Original Poster was a newbie, although this thread was not the subject of his (I assume his) or her first post.

However, the fact that the OP - as a newbie - has posted the exact same content elsewhere is more than interesting; and - increasingly - it would seem that this is not the outburst of passionately guilty emotion that the OP's original post seemed to have been on a first reading here. For, one cannot - or, not without difficulty, not least becasue it is emotionally exhausting - sustain quite that level of perfervid passion for long.

And the fact that this post - this thread, this story - has gained such traction across the online sphere or space - also strikes me as strange, and does make me question its bona fides, to some degree, and, for that matter, the bona fides of some of the newbie posts responding to it.

Nevertheless, the plethora of new accounts - in a forum where membership exceeds a million, and where there are hundreds, if not thousands, of threads to comment on - started solely to comment on this particular thread, does seem to me to be curiously co-ordinated.

And this also begs the question whether this particular pattern has been repeated across the online space.

And if so, one might conclude that we have been played, but quite effectively.

Tin Cook

Suspended
May 11, 2023
It is weird.

However, - and, if this had been merely confined to one new member who joined to comment on this thread, I would think, okay, fair enough, - but here, we have several new members (I counted four, perhaps there are more) opening accounts in order to be able to comment on a strange thread started with a totally peculiar original post that also strikes me as utterly weird, not to mention downright extraordinary.

Most (well, many) of us opened accounts because we had just bought an Apple device and wished to ask a question about it.

Here, we have an extraordinary Original Post (and thread), suffused with a note of emotion that seems somewhat excessive, to which are added a flurry of new accounts to comment on a story which may be true, false, or disinformation or deflection practised on an industrial scale.

Curiouser and curiouser.
I joined because I wanted to talk about Apple with other people. I also wanted to join because I felt the need to share my opinion. It is very dramatic.

Maybe 941 was a real leaker and just got overwhelmed. That would be perfectly ok.

I wonder if they are a real leaker. I want to know if this is the true story. If it's not, I want to know what really happened.

There are just too many loose ends in this conundrum.

941, message me and tell me what happened, if you are even seeing this. I don't expect a response, but I would like to have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaxomoxay

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I joined because I wanted to talk about Apple with other people. I also wanted to join because I felt the need to share my opinion. It is very dramatic.

Maybe 941 was a real leaker and just got overwhelmed. That would be perfectly ok.

I wonder if they are a real leaker. I want to know if this is the true story. If it's not, I want to know what really happened.

There are just too many loose ends in this conundrum.

941, message me and tell me what happened, if you are even seeing this.

Given that the OP has not returned to the thread - not once - since that dramatic original post which started the thread, it may be excessively optimistic to expect a reply to your comments.

Tin Cook

Suspended
May 11, 2023
Given that the OP has not returned to the thread - not once - since that dramatic original post which started the thread, it may be excessively optimistic to expect a reply to your comments.
I know, but there is still a very tiny chance. I don't expect a reply. I just really want one lol.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I know, but there is still a very tiny chance. I don't expect a reply. I just really want one lol.
While it is unusual to start a thread and then, not to return to it - if only to read responses - the fact that the Op has not returned, indeed, the fact that the OP clearly wrote - as a thread title - "Farewell Message" suggests to me that you may well be waiting for quite some time for your curiosity to be satisfied by the OP.

Last edited:

Tin Cook

Suspended
May 11, 2023
While it s unusual to start a thread and then, not to return to it - if only to read responses - the fact that the Op has not returned, indeed, the fact that the OP clearly wrote - as a thread title - "Farewell Message" suggests to me that you may well be waiting for quite some time for your curiosity to be satisfied by the OP.
I know we won't find out. I was just trying lol.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Apple has so many methods of identifying leakers – some of them incredibly subtle – that we and others have to be extremely careful in order to protect our sources …

Given Apple’s emphasis on product design, it’s no surprise that the company works particularly hard to prevent leaks of visual materials: product images, drawings, blueprints, CAD images, and the like.

It used to be commonplace for tech sites to share these images directly, but Apple came up with a wide variety of ways to identify exactly which copy of an image was shared. Each individual who received an image would be given a unique one.

Here are just a few of the methods Apple is known or believed to use …

• Invisible watermarks
  • Filenames
  • Serial numbers
  • Subtle typeface changes
  • Non-subtle typeface changes
  • Wording or punctuation changes
  • False information
Excellent article to look at from 9to5Mac

Last edited:

dogface1956

Contributor
Mar 10, 2022
While it is unusual to start a thread and then, not to return to it - if only to read responses - the fact that the Op has not returned, indeed, the fact that the OP clearly wrote - as a thread title - "Farewell Message" suggests to me that you may well be waiting for quite some time for your curiosity to be satisfied by the OP.
How do you know he has not returned to it and read the replies?

dogface1956

Contributor
Mar 10, 2022
I know we won't find out. I was just trying lol.
Curiosity killed the cat, who really cares, this rumor, the OP's issues, his sister hating him or getting fire don't affect me in the least, now we have people here thinking the the OP is really a plant from Apple trying to gage the impact of the rumor if someone who leaks rumors has an impact on Apple.

I have met Tim Cook and talked to him on several occasions one on one and I can tell you he does not have the time, patience or the willingness for such nonsense. He does take security very seriously though, I had to sign a NDA whenever I met with Apple and they would also verbally let us know that if we leaked anything from our meetings they would take action if they found out we leaked any information.

Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
How do you know he has not returned to it and read the replies?

The OP has not posted since the original post of this thread, and has since cancelled their membership of this forum.

Now, usually, - not always, granted, but much of the time, if not most of the time - when somebody starts a thread, - when somebody takes the time and takes the trouble to start a thread and compose or craft an original post - they will return to the thread and comment on subsequent posts.

The course that this thread has taken subsequently suggests to me that the original post of this thread appears to have been seeded elsewhere simultaneously, and that conversation and dialogue and an exchange of views were not what the OP had sought.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My suspicion is that 941 has been back to this thread but with a different account.
At this stage, nothing would surprise me about this thread.

For one thing, I harbour some slight doubt as to the existence of the (much maligned) sister.

The extraordinary degree of emotion of the OP's original post - that is, if it is at all genuine and not an Apple fishing expedition, or a troll thread, - suggests to me that rather than an unfortunate sibling, he himself might have been the culprit in question.

However, it may not be given to us to learn more about these matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.