Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’m going to ask, who prefers perfectly smooth whiskey vs a little burn going down? I don’t expect agreement, have mentioned this before, that some burn, my preference, reminds me, I’m drinking whiskey, and not whiskey flavored water. :D

Smooth, all the way.
I prefer a silky smooth scotch like an aged Oban, my favorite. I also enjoy a good smokey flavored scotch like an aged Lagavulin.
Any aged (preferably, very aged) smooth Scotch will meet with my approval.
However, I no not like burn ... to me it's a defining characteristic of a cheap and/or premature scotch.
@Madhatter32: Agree not just completely but must stress that I agree utterly, totally and completely.

Cheap and premature, yes, and sometimes, the really young versions elevate the burn at the expense of flavour or taste; at times, it can be like drinking paint stripper.

Actually, I deeply dislike burn as a feature of a spirit, and have come to not just prefer the quality of smoothness, but to prize it and seek it out. To my mind, smoothness is not just a virtue, but is one of the qualities that is necessary for me before I can appreciate or savour a whisky, or cognac, or port.

@Huntn: I have come to prize - and nowadays, seek out - the quality of smoothness in spirits, and not just in whiskies, but also (very much) in port, and above all, in cognac.

However, smoothness in spirits tends to be a function of age, - a 12 year old whisky or cognac or port will be smoother than a five year old, and a 15 or 20 year old will be much smoother again - but, unfortunately, the quality of smoothness also tends to come with (steeply) rising expense.

Last edited:

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
On the subject of burn vs smooth, I also associate burn with cheap whiskey. My father has a different taste, he likes for example Glenfarclas or the Ben Nevis distillery products, which are known for their ‘big taste’. Personally I like a Dalwhinnie or other very creamy whiskey. To each his own.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
@Madhatter32: Agree not just completely but must stress that I agree utterly, totally and completely.

Cheap and premature, yes, and sometimes, the really young versions elevate the burn at the expense of flavour or taste; at times, it can be like drinking paint stripper.

Actually, I deeply dislike burn as a feature of a spirit, and have come to not just prefer the quality of smoothness, but to prize it and seek it out. To my mind, smoothness is not just a virtue, but is one of the qualities that is necessary for me before I can appreciate or savour a whisky, or cognac, or port.
I utterly, totally and completely agree with you too!! I experienced an Oban 32 many years ago. It was during a special occasion function (a wedding I think) where there was an open bar but a friend of mine brought the Oban 32 to share with a few select people. That was 25 years ago (I think) but I remember that bottle like it was yesterday. It was smooth and flavorful without an ounce of bite or burn. None. I have not been able to replicate that experience since -- probably because I am a cheapskate. But it was truly special. It's funny how you remember such things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I utterly, totally and completely with you too!! I experienced an Oban 32 many years ago. It was during a special occasion function (a wedding I think) where there was an open bar but a friend of mine brought the Oban 32 to share with a few select people. That was 25 years ago (I think) but I remember that bottle like it was yesterday. It was smooth and flavorful without an ounce of bite or burn. None. I have not been able to replicate that experience since -- probably because I am a cheapskate. But it was truly special. It's funny how you remember such things.

A friend in the beverage industry periodically would open a bottle of the high end rare stuff. Truly great and enjoyable, if not repeatable with a normal budget.

My goal is to find the rare undiscovered gems before they get discovered and prices go crazy.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
A friend in the beverage industry periodically would open a bottle of the high end rare stuff. Truly great and enjoyable, if not repeatable with a normal budget.

My goal is to find the rare undiscovered gems before they get discovered and prices go crazy.
Please keep us informed on your findings.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I utterly, totally and completely with you too!! I experienced an Oban 32 many years ago. It was during a special occasion function (a wedding I think) where there was an open bar but a friend of mine brought the Oban 32 to share with a few select people. That was 25 years ago (I think) but I remember that bottle like it was yesterday. It was smooth and flavorful without an ounce of bite or burn. None. I have not been able to replicate that experience since -- probably because I am a cheapskate. But it was truly special. It's funny how you remember such things.
I had a similar experience with Armenian cognac; a colleague with whom I had worked closely with (and got on well with) in the Caucasus (and also, later on, had worked with, in Ukraine), once shared a cherished bottle of a very rare 30 year old Armenian cognac (a cognac dating from well before the collapse of the Soviet Union) with me; usually, the very best cognacs available in good quality outlets were the 20 year old cognacs (which were excellent).

It was a revelation.

He decanted some into a small bottle for me to take home with me when my deployment ended.

Reactions: Madhatter32

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The rare and undiscovered gems are one thing (and yes, while they do exist, you need to be made aware of their existence, and that usually means knowing people who know about these things and are willing to share this knowledge with you), but the other challenge is to find out that sweet spot where quality - of the sort you seek out and relish and savour - and affordability meet.

For port, to my mind, this is around the 20 year mark; port really leaps in quality between ten and 20 years of age, a difference that is very striking, yet remains (somewhat) affordable.

Yes, there is a further leap (in quality, and yes, in price) to 30 years, and - a very steep leap (in both quality and price) - to 40 year old port, but you have to ask yourself whether the leap in quality is worth the (often astronomical) price difference. Very often, it is not, not if you are on a relatively reasonable (rather than exceptionally very well remunerated) income.

For me, for whisky, and cognac, while I far prefer 20 year old whiskies and cognacs (wonderfully smooth), that sweet spot where quality meets affordability is - for now - best met by the 14-15 year old beverages.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Please keep us informed on your findings.

I will.

Right now, my go - to value (taste and price) is Buffalo Trace at around $25/bottle; espcially store picks.

I like Weller's Special Reserve (green label) at $30 as well. Same mash bill as Pappy's.

Stellum at $50 is also a good choice.

The rare and undiscovered gems are one thing (and yes, while they do exist, you need to be made aware of their existence, and that usually means knowing people who know about these things and are willing to share this knowledge with you), but the other challenge is to find out that sweet spot where quality - of the sort you seek out and relish and savour - and affordability meet.

Exactly, value is key - not cheap.

For port, to my mind, this is around the 20 year mark; port really leaps in quality between ten and 20 years of age, a difference that is very striking, yet remains (somewhat) affordable.

I have a bottle of Port 1983 vintage I really should drink one day; I hope it hasn't spoiled from storage.

I do like trying various wines and ports when I am in Portugal. Many of their wines are great and not yet discovered.

For me, for whisky, and cognac, while I far prefer 20 year old whiskies and cognacs (wonderfully smooth), that sweet spot where quality meets affordability is - for now - best met by the 14-15 year old beverages.

I'm more of a bourbon/Kentucky whiskey guy, so age isn't as much of a factor; except if you happen on a dusty old bottle that has sit on a shelf but those are rare finds today.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I experienced an Oban 32 many years ago. It was during a special occasion function (a wedding I think) where there was an open bar but a friend of mine brought the Oban 32 to share with a few select people. That was 25 years ago (I think) but I remember that bottle like it was yesterday.
Very jealous. I'm sure it was great. Oban 14 is one of my favorites. I always keep a bottle on hand.

And the Oban Little Bay is pretty good, too.

Surprisingly, I actually didn't like the Oban 18 as much as the 14. Which I suppose is good, since the 14 is much cheaper.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Any bourbon fans here? Granted, I have not read through the 34 pages of posts? I am leaning more towards bourbon than whiskey or scotch. Still new to this style, but so far... the bourbon style has been more enjoyable than the offerings I have had from the other two.

Reactions: danny_w
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.