Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I prefer a silky smooth scotch like an aged Oban, my favorite. I also enjoy a good smokey flavored scotch like an aged Lagavulin. However, I no not like burn ... to me it's a defining characteristic of a cheap and/or premature scotch.
The very smooth whiskey I had (can't remember the label :oops:) tasted more like whiskey flavored water to me. Granted, I might have a lesser pallet... :)

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I don’t buy $80 bottles of whiskey so I can’t comment on the expensive brands that folks here like but the smoothest whiskey I have had is Evan Williams Bottled in Bond 100 proof bourbon. Amazing for the price. For about $18 it is far smoother than anything I have had below about $50.

Reactions: Brachaci

AlphaMirage

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
Agreed about the slight burn! :) My issue, if it is an issue us that I am cheap, I won’t spend $50+ on a bottle of whiskey, although I do spend $40 on a large bottle of Wild Turkey 101. I don’t drink it regularly either, so my consumption rate is very low and bottles age while in my keeping! ;)
I am cheap too :p , although there are some really good cheap satisfying whiskey too . Since you guys recommended, gonna give Lagavulin or Wild Turkey 101 a try.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've always been fond of Glenlivet, but last night I tried Glenfarclas 12 for the first time -it was great! Fruity and smoky, and smooth.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I am cheap too :p , although there are some really good cheap satisfying whiskey too . Since you guys recommended, gonna give Lagavulin or Wild Turkey 101 a try.

Wild Turkey 101... oh boy. Have been trying more and more Whiskeys and Bourbons lately. Kind of on an old fashioned kick if you will. Picked up a few bottles over the past week. They should last us a very long time lol.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Some good go to bottles at a decent price are, IMHO, (as long as less than $30/bottle):

Buffalo Trace
Weller's Green Label
Basel Hayden Dark Rye

A little known gem at about $50 is Stellum

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Some good go to bottles at a decent price are, IMHO, (as long as less than $30/bottle):

Buffalo Trace
Weller's Green Label
Basel Hayden Dark Rye

A little known gem at about $50 is Stellum

Funny you mention Buffalo Trace... just picked up a bottle of it. Haven't tried it yet though. The wife being a big Vampire Diaries fan "made" me pick up a bottle of "Brother Bound" bourbon. It is actually pretty darn good believe it or not! We have done both mixed and on the rock with it. Not to bad.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Funny you mention Buffalo Trace... just picked up a bottle of it. Haven't tried it yet though. The wife being a big Vampire Diaries fan "made" me pick up a bottle of "Brother Bound" bourbon. It is actually pretty darn good believe it or not! We have done both mixed and on the rock with it. Not to bad.

I recommend firs trying a bourbon neat - get a feel for teh taste and then add a drop or two of water, ice or mix to adjust to your desired taste.

Reactions: rhett7660

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I remember reading Iain Banks’ book Raw Spirit back in the day and buying the whiskey he recommends at the very end as the best. It was (if memory serves me well) a Glenmorangie 21 year old with a Rum finish, and it set me back a few pennies. It was a very fine whiskey, with a slightly raisiney taste, but I have to say I preferred the Dalwhinney Distillers Edition, though that came out many years later.

Reactions: SymeonArgyrus

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
a Glenmorangie 21 year old with a Rum finish, and it set me back a few pennies. It was a very fine whiskey, with a slightly raisiney taste,

For those who like interesting cask finishes, the Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or (Sauternes casks) is another nice release from Glenmorangie IMO.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
That is good to know. Again, not a huge bourbon or whiskey guy, but I am trying and so far it isn't too bad!!!

It's all about personal preferences. We have a book club that meets weekly to study whiskey and cigar labels; a group is a good way to try different brands and see what yo like. In ours, we all bring a bottle for the table and once a year have a best bottle meeting where everyone brings a pricer favorite that they wouldn't drink every week. Good times, good friends, and good whiskey and cigars.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
It's all about personal preferences. We have a book club that meets weekly to study whiskey and cigar labels; a group is a good way to try different brands and see what yo like. In ours, we all bring a bottle for the table and once a year have a best bottle meeting where everyone brings a pricer favorite that they wouldn't drink every week. Good times, good friends, and good whiskey and cigars.

Oh... now Whiskey and Cigars! Oh my! That is a match made in heaven. We have done that a few times now and there is something special about it.

That is actually a great way to explore the different types. I have done a few beer tastings and yup, this is a great way to try new and different types of beers.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
^--- speaking of vampires, I'm pretty sure I remember that Buffy's Spike drinks Evan Williams bourbon.

I have a friend who drinks that as his cheap go-to.

I like George Dickel Rye. It fits the bill for tasty but inexpensive fire water.

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I usually drink irish whiskeys. Jamesons is my everyday whiskey, and my housemates bought me a bottle Jamesons 18 year old for my birthday which was absolutely delicious. Bushmills 10 year old is also very good (regular bushmills is fine for everyday whiskey too).

Among American Whiskeys, Wild Turkey can be quite good, Makers Mark is good, I can't stand Jack Daniels.

I had a Scotch called Speyside (that was the brand name if I recall correctly, not just the area it was from) and it was really excellent. Generally, I'm not a huge fan of scotch. The ones I have liked tend to be light on the Peetiness.

Sorry, crown royal is absolutely undrinkable. I would love to try more whiskeys from all over the world, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of what people post in this thread that I might give a shot.
Many of the whiskies made in the Spayside region are excellent, take your pick:
I personally always have a bottle of Bowmore 12 year in my cabinet, but if you can find a bottle of Bowmore Enigma you will be delighted. American Whiskey, search no further than Maker's Mark, cheaper than some, better than many. As always, whiskey is a personal thing, price aside. Some like Old Parr and it is certainly good, some tend to Chivas Regal or Black and White. Trust your taste buds and try some of the good, nay excellent, recommendations here.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I worked for the Alabama Beverage Control for many years. I sampled quite a few whiskey brands. Many of the higher end brands had to be special order. Of those we kept in stock, my favorite was Elijah Craig. Scotch is usually Johnny Walker or Dewar's. Occasionally Glenlivet single malt. I can't afford all those high dollar whiskeys I see on this thread. Y'all beat all I ever saw with all these different brands of whiskey. And truth is, none of them taste good. Some are just less bad than others.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
^--- speaking of vampires, I'm pretty sure I remember that Buffy's Spike drinks Evan Williams bourbon.

I have a friend who drinks that as his cheap go-to.

I like George Dickel Rye. It fits the bill for tasty but inexpensive fire water.

Lordy, we watched BTVS too! I completely forgot about that. Just looked at the pricing, and you are not kidding regarding the price!!! Cheap is an understatement!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
At the liquor store to pick up a replacement bottle of Wild Turkey 101, I was talked into trying a better whiskey by an enthusiastic “whiskey advocate“ employee. The name Broken Fence Bourbon. It was about $12 more a bottle, I gave it a chance and purchased a bottle. The verdict, it’s good, with good flavor, but I sense no substantial difference in burn, they're about the same, the Broken Fence might have a tad less burn, but I’d have to try them side by side. I predict the next bottle will be Wild Turkey. :)

Company description:
A better sipping bourbon begins with great whiskey - taken a step further. Our bourbon is unforgettably smooth, rich with vanilla and oak, and finished beautifully with those hints of sherry cask.

46186891-8A62-48F8-A77C-AA400EE84959.jpeg

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Some of mine for sipping not mixing:

Buffalo Trace, especially store picks
EH Taylor
Eagle Rare
Smokewagon uncut and unfiltered
Wellers Green Label
Blanton’s if below a buck
Uncle Nearest

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.